Would you swap EJ for Fitz right now?

Would you swap EJ for Fitz?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Would you swap EJ for Fitz?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he have a choice? He was still under contract.

Yes, he could have been like Jairus Byrd and made it clear he didn't want to be there. Not exactly what you want on your team.

Especially after Nix was recorded illegally on that phone call with TB's GM talking trash about Fitz, it would have been very awkward for all involved.

Edited by matter2003

I love me some Fitz, but quite frankly only a moron in my opinion would vote yes.

Fitz has a well established top end. There is still a glimmer of hope for Manuel to become a good NFL starting QB.

I would however, trade Lewis, Tuel, the Jills, and Spiller (if and only if Whaley/Marrone are convinced they are not going to resign him after this season) to get Fitz as a veteran backup for Manuel. Manuel could learn quite a bit from Fitz and it would really increase Manuels chances of long term success.

I'm starting to think this coaching staff is screwing EJ up. Trying completely reprogram his style.

There might be something to that Promo. They need to let the kid play and find his way. If he doesn't do well at least he went down swinging instead of being brainwashed out of playing well.

Edited by LVBillsBackr

Not publicly but privately every one knew what was up

No they didn't.

Privately everyone knew that he very much wanted to stay in Buffalo and very much wanted the Bills to pay him what he was worth.

People that didn't know thought, irrationally, because he didn't sign that he hated Buffalo and couldn't wait to get out.

No way, no how. As bad as EJ has looked he at least has a potential upside. Fitz has no upside and his play is too low for this team (or any other team) to win on a consistent basis. At least with EJ, it's still possible, we'll discover his upside.

Right now Fitzpatrick is a better quarterback. So yes I wish he was on this team. Better QB = more wins in my opinion.

I am convinced that if Fitz was here and there was an open quarterback competition, he would win.

From extensive practice and coaching, EJ would have time to develop those "coachable" shortcomings that we have been told he has.

If and when EJ eventually "earned" his start in the NFL because he outplayed a legit starting QB, then I predict we would see a much better quarterback than we see now.

Yes, he could have been like Jairus Byrd and made it clear he didn't want to be there. Not exactly what you want on your team.

Except that Fitzpatrick was under contract, and Byrd wasn't.

I am an EJ doubter, but still I wouldn't trade him for Fitz now.

However in retrospect it was a huge mistake not to keep Fitz. EJ is not ready to start. He wasn't ready last year and I have serious questions that he will be ready this year. I am still not sure he will be a good QB. It is looking more and more to me like he is one of those guys who has all the physical talent in the world, but something is missing that keeps him from being a good QB.

Gailey was a far better offensive coordinator than Marrone is. The Bills concentrated on building their defense and were trying to get by with Fitz and David Nelson types on the offense. Gailey's weakness was his defensive coordinator and that is Marrone's strength that he has top notch defensive coordinators. I did hate to see Gailey go.

Fitz isn't coming back, but how about Trent Edwards? Barring an injury he is likely to be cut from Oakland's roster (they have Matt Schaub, Derek Carr and Matt McGloin). I think he would be a definite upgrade over Thad Lewis.

Edited by bills_believer

Right now Fitzpatrick is a better quarterback. So yes I wish he was on this team. Better QB = more wins in my opinion.

I am convinced that if Fitz was here and there was an open quarterback competition, he would win.

From extensive practice and coaching, EJ would have time to develop those "coachable" shortcomings that we have been told he has.

If and when EJ eventually "earned" his start in the NFL because he outplayed a legit starting QB, then I predict we would see a much better quarterback than we see now.

But the question was....."Would you swap EJ for Fitz?" .....not "Would you be happy to add Fitz to this team?"

I love me some Fitz, but quite frankly only a moron in my opinion would vote yes.

Fitz has a well established top end. There is still a glimmer of hope for Manuel to become a good NFL starting QB.

I would however, trade Lewis, Tuel, the Jills, and Spiller (if and only if Whaley/Marrone are convinced they are not going to resign him after this season) to get Fitz as a veteran backup for Manuel. Manuel could learn quite a bit from Fitz and it would really increase Manuels chances of long term success.

There is very little any QB could learn from Fitz, I never understand why people think this.

He takes head on collisions, he rarely slides, this is completely idiotic and is against the plan of today's QB, you need your starter on the field, he is a moron to me for trying to be a tough guy.

He never throws guys open. He is not good at reading defenses, he is a see you open and I throw it to you, and his arm is not strong enough for that.

For a dude so smart he has no sensibility, no understanding at all of his own ability, he tries to shove the ball into triple coverage, and he pays for it.

He makes dumb and boneheaded decisions all the time. No way I want that failure and turnover machine of a player being a tutor for my QB.

I can't believe we are sinking this low and en spending time on this topic. Fits sucked and EJ has not had enough time to prove anything yet. At least get 8 games into thus season before saying EJ needs to be be replaced with a guy nobody in the league would say is a real starter. Good God.

Thank you. It was one pre-season game, If we are in trouble with the sync of QB to WR come game 3 or 4 actually with the HOF game, then you can get somewhat concerned. Even with that concern, I still don't want a guy who can't throw longer than 15 yards with accuracy, and throws more pics than TD. Fitzy was never the answer.

We just don't have one now other than the line has to play well, we run the hell out of the ball, and play excellent defense. Makes it easier for EJ to develop. It's very simple and no reason to over think it.

If he absolutely sucks, we'll have to suffer another year without a 1st and get another QB in two years. It's early guys. Stop running down the hall proverbially with your hair on fire.

So guys, the question is, would you swap EJ for Fitz. For all the Fitz haters..... he had 1 WR to throw to..... and he was no #1 WR at that. He also was in a terrible offensive scheme that tried to nickle and dime it's way to victory.

Fitz doesn't have a big arm and can't throw it deep.

EJ has a big arm but can't hit a barn on his deep throws.

EJ has far better weapons to work with. His D is also slightly better, however lets remember that when Fitz played, his D was bad due to scheme, and much less due to personnel (We do have better personnel at this point thought). This is a question that should be acked at the end of the year based on how both QBs do for the season.

Last season Fit's stats as a starter were:

He started nine games for the Titans last season and went 217 of 350 for 2,454 yards with 14 touchdown passes and 12 interceptions.

EJ's stats for his first season:

10 Games // 180 of 306 for 1,972 // 11 Tds and 9 Ints.

If you look just at those stats and make a quick note that the Titans D was not as good as ours, nor is their running game, there is no way you can sit here and say you wouldn't take Ftiz over EJ. All this nonsense about, oh EJ has a bigger Ceiling. Everyone rookie QB drafted in the last decade had a bigger ceiling than Fitz. This isn't a question of who should end up better, but who would probably do better this year. Ftiz on a team, and not a retirement home carousel wouldn't probably win us more games this year.

Lets change this vote, add in The Sanchize, Tim Tebowing Tebow, and Jamarcus Russel.

Good comment. Agree, that would have been a better way to develop a young QB like EJ.