Mike Schopp said something today that had me wondering...

Buftex

The Bears O line is garbage. Good luck holding off our front 4.

Covering Marshall and Alshon will be a problem---it is for everyone. But I'm counting on Cutler running for his life.

And there D is crap. Perfect game for O to start. Start with a road win...

And Schoops topic for Monday's show will be about something EJ didn't do enough of...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought this game was huge:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199910310rav.htm

1999. We lost 2 in a row to fall to 4-3. We go to Baltimore. Are down 10-3 going into the 4th quarter and the" magic" man finds Jonathan Linton for a 5 yd TD to win it. Speaking of which, remember when the Buffalo media essentially ran Flutie out of town including Schoop...believing Johnson was the guy. Fun times.

Without that win, no way we get into the playoffs....the momentum from that win was huge.

Oh...and that Ravens team won the Super Bowl the next season.

Schoop is an idiot. We get it Mike. The 2000's haven't been great. But 1986-2000 was a hell of a run. Our time is coming soon..

Billieve.

Edited by Big Blitz

I remember it being something like 4th and 15 with the game on the line, and Flutie scrambled for 15 yards and one inch. He had "it."

He needed 15 and got 17 with 2 mins and change left. The guy was just incredible and this town didn't appreciate him enough. I still blame media hacks like Sully because they thought he was too arrogant and abrasive to the media. So like petty kids they never gave him a fair shot----claiming.."he wasn't really that good in the '99 season."

Horse crap.

He needed 15 and got 17 with 2 mins and change left. The guy was just incredible and this town didn't appreciate him enough. I still blame media hacks like Sully because they thought he was too arrogant and abrasive to the media. So like petty kids they never gave him a fair shot----claiming.."he wasn't really that good in the '99 season."

Horse crap.

While I said that he had "it" the problem that year was that his arm was shot. I never got the media's hate for him, though.

While I said that he had "it" the problem that year was that his arm was shot. I never got the media's hate for him, though.

You'd have understood if you were inside that locker room. Stuff I found out when I did a stint with the AP back in '99. The guy was simply a selfish jerk and not a good teammate.

As to his on-field ability, well, he could extend plus and that's how he made his living. As a QB, he was average at best. Better than Johnson for sure, but that ain't saying much.

You'd have understood if you were inside that locker room. Stuff I found out when I did a stint with the AP back in '99. The guy was simply a selfish jerk and not a good teammate.

What I wouldn't give for a "selfish jerk and not a good teammate" who could get us to the playoffs about now.

This isn't a GR or Schopp bashing thread...I just thought this was a thought provoking comment... they were talking about opening day, against the Bears. He said he couldn't conceive of any possible scenario by which the Bills win on opening day.

After taking a lot of crap from callers, he said that the Bills hadn't had, in his opinion, a road win over a quality opponent, since beating the Saints in New Orleans in 1992. While Bulldog didn't necessarily agree with him, he didn't offer any examples of great Bills road wins, since that game.... I know they beat the Steelers and Dolphins on the road, that same season, in the playoffs....so I know he is a little off... I would say a conference championship on the road is pretty impressive, no matter who you beat....

My memory is for **** lately... I know they haven't won a lot of road games in recent years...but thinking about it...any big road victories since the Kelly era? I am struggling to remember any...help me.

Well, what we do know is that we couldn't beat a single team that had a passing offense ranked in the top 17 last season, and the Bears ranked 5th last season and it's difficult to see them sliding much.

Or a top 3 defense so that said QB doesn't have to do much.

What I wouldn't' give for both ...

On a side note, if it was all the D and the QB didn't need to do much, how come there was such a HUGE differential in the winning percentage when Flute played vs RJ?

Ok, first thing I did was go to Wiki...

1993, beat the Cowboys... the eventual Superbowl Champions (against us)

1994, beat the Patriots (Wild Card team), and Dolphins (1st AFCE)

1995, beat the Colts (Wild Card team)

1996, beat the Eagles (Wild Card team)

1997, no road wins against playoff teams, but did beat the 9-7 Jets

1998, no road wins against playoff teams

1999, beat the Dolphins (Wild Card team), and Washington (1st NFCE)

2000, no road wins against playoff teams

2001, beat the Jets (Wild Card team)

2002, no road wins against playoff teams, but did beat the 9-7 Dolphins

2003, no road wins against playoff teams

2004, beat the Seahawks (1st NFCW)

2005, beat the Bengals (1st AFCN)

2006, beat the Jets (Wild Card team)

2007, beat Washington (Wild Card team)

2008, no road wins against playoff teams

2009, beat the Jets (Wild Card team)

2010, no road wins against playoff teams

2011, no road wins against playoff teams

2012, no road wins against playoff teams

2013, no road wins against playoff teams

That's actually a pretty damning list. In the last 20 years the Bills have 12 road wins against playoff bound teams, 8 of which were wildcard teams and just one in the last 6 years. That's rough.

According to the OP, he said "quality opponent", whatever that is. We beat the Fish in their house last year right when they were thick in the playoff hunt. Had they won that game, they would have been 9- 7 like the Chargers who did make it.

It's a self-moving goalpost. Any team we beat ceases to be a quality opponent.

What I wouldn't' give for both ...

On a side note, if it was all the D and the QB didn't need to do much, how come there was such a HUGE differential in the winning percentage when Flute played vs RJ?

I didn't say it was all the D--it was more the D than the QB...the reason for the difference is that the QB can't be completely shell-shocked with no pocket presence.

With a top 5 D even an average-at-best QB can get you to the playoffs.

As to his on-field ability, well, he could extend plus and that's how he made his living. As a QB, he was average at best. Better than Johnson for sure, but that ain't saying much.

The romanticism about that 13-10 Ravens win (they'll ignore that a Tony Banks fumble even gave us a chance at the end) is almost as comical as the notion it was Sully & Schopp ran him out of town.

Doing nothing vs a mediocre Giants team that was playing without its entire starting secondary towards the end of that year was a big checkmark in the "it" column too. :doh:

Thanks for the info. I do remember hearing selfish teammate, etc. type stuff............He must have been good at saying the right thing when the cameras are on, because I don't remember very much he said publicly that was too bad.

Thanks for the info. I do remember hearing selfish teammate, etc. type stuff............He must have been good at saying the right thing when the cameras are on, because I don't remember very much he said publicly that was too bad.

He did have a way with the media...I do remember Bucky Gleason writing a scathing piece about him though. It's not available anywhere online that I know of, but there was a thread about it a few years ago:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/90671-you-gotta-love-the-flutie-magic/page__st__340