Mike Schopp said something today that had me wondering...

Buftex

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you finish out of the playoffs for 14 years the only good teams the Bills play on the road based on prior year schedule is the Patriots, a 50/50 chance of playing the NFC division winner, a 50/50 chance of playing another AFC division winner and maybe a NFC wild card winner. Other than that they don't play the good teams on the road.

This! There's been a few since 1992, but close to none since 1999. I guess you could argue the road win against the Seahawks in 2004 and Redskins in 2007 as there was still a chance they could make the playoffs, but other then that those other games were pretty meaningless. Schopp has a point, he's just off on the years. I would be pretty surprised if the Bills beat the Bears on opening day and if they did it would tell me the Bears are in for a bad to average season and not necessarily that the Bills are a good team just because of this teams recent history of being a below average football franchise.

So what you're saying is if the Bills win, it won't be because they earned it and won it through good play, but rather because the Bears played a bad game and gave us the win?

IMO, every victory will be earned. This is a talented group, there's no reason they shouldn't be winning games. I believe this is the year they turn it around. It's about to be the start a long run of greatness.

Considering how poorly the team played on the road against some teams last season, I for one am not very confidant of an opening day road victory.

However that could change depending on how they handle themselves this preseason on the road at the HoF game, at Carolina, at Pittsburgh.

The rookie coaching staff, and rookie QB could have learned quite a bit from last year, or not.

Actually, that's a decent comparison. Both are average to below average starters who occasionally get hot streaks that make it worth keeping them when you have literally no better option or your intended franchise player does not work out.

Except that Cutler has an elite NFL arm, one of the best in the league. If he had Fitz's smarts and grit, he'd probably be on his way to the HoF.

So what you're saying is if the Bills win, it won't be because they earned it and won it through good play, but rather because the Bears played a bad game and gave us the win?

IMO, every victory will be earned. This is a talented group, there's no reason they shouldn't be winning games. I believe this is the year they turn it around. It's about to be the start a long run of greatness.

Yessiree !!

I think we can and should beat the Bears. Their strength is their passing offense going against our strength of passing defense. Then we have our running game against their terrible run defense.

I like our chances.

we have a good chance to win because we have good players and a talented roster not because of what happened in any previous year

I try and listen to that show, I want it to be good and its ridiculous, the morning show is worse BUT when Sal co-hosting on either they are good shows

Edited by CardinalScotts

we have a good chance to win because we have good players and a talented roster not because of what happened in any previous year

I try and listen to that show, I want it to be good and its ridiculous, the morning show is worse BUT when Sal co-hosting on either they are good shows

totally agree on Sal. That has become the only time I listen.

I also heard Schopp say today that if the bills moved to Toronto it wouldn't be that bad.

Yeah that happened

He said it wasn't the worst case scenario, that moving to LA, London etc would be worse.

Edited by Carey Bender

This isn't a GR or Schopp bashing thread...I just thought this was a thought provoking comment... they were talking about opening day, against the Bears. He said he couldn't conceive of any possible scenario by which the Bills win on opening day.

After taking a lot of crap from callers, he said that the Bills hadn't had, in his opinion, a road win over a quality opponent, since beating the Saints in New Orleans in 1992. While Bulldog didn't necessarily agree with him, he didn't offer any examples of great Bills road wins, since that game.... I know they beat the Steelers and Dolphins on the road, that same season, in the playoffs....so I know he is a little off... I would say a conference championship on the road is pretty impressive, no matter who you beat....

My memory is for **** lately... I know they haven't won a lot of road games in recent years...but thinking about it...any big road victories since the Kelly era? I am struggling to remember any...help me.

Ok, first thing I did was go to Wiki...

1993, beat the Cowboys... the eventual Superbowl Champions (against us)

1994, beat the Patriots (Wild Card team), and Dolphins (1st AFCE)

1995, beat the Colts (Wild Card team)

1996, beat the Eagles (Wild Card team)

1997, no road wins against playoff teams, but did beat the 9-7 Jets

1998, no road wins against playoff teams

1999, beat the Dolphins (Wild Card team), and Washington (1st NFCE)

2000, no road wins against playoff teams

2001, beat the Jets (Wild Card team)

2002, no road wins against playoff teams, but did beat the 9-7 Dolphins

2003, no road wins against playoff teams

2004, beat the Seahawks (1st NFCW)

2005, beat the Bengals (1st AFCN)

2006, beat the Jets (Wild Card team)

2007, beat Washington (Wild Card team)

2008, no road wins against playoff teams

2009, beat the Jets (Wild Card team)

2010, no road wins against playoff teams

2011, no road wins against playoff teams

2012, no road wins against playoff teams

2013, no road wins against playoff teams

Good work. I remember all these games.

'92 Saints - Kelly went off on reporters in the postgame.

'93 Cowboys - Matt Darby.

'94 Pats - the nbc announcers were disgusted at how awful NE's secondary was...pretty funny.

'95 - Henry Jones goaline stop on Marshal Faulk.

'96 - late Bruce Smith sack sealed it. Blocked punt for TD early.

Now Post-Kelly era, it gets tough. A Jets team that made the playoffs due to Curtis Painter and it still took 475 Sanchize int's to beat in nearly 75 minutes, God I hope we're not counting that. '07 Washington, whatever. '06 Jets, a fluke team. Bengals game was meaningless. Seattle was a mediocre team in a crappy division (at least that was a drubbing).

I believe 1999 is the correct answer. Miami was a big revenge game on Monday night. Washington ended up being a decent team that lost to that Bucs team by 1pt that almost beat the Rams - and we destroyed them. So that's probably the last one imo.

Yeah that happened

He's a moron but I loved how he got all bent on the idea of someone buying the Bills and actually entertaining the thought of moving them. He basically said it's the worst thing a person in that position can do a collective group of people. He was spot one…for once.

I thought it was one of the best rants he's ever gone on during his time on buffalo airwaves.