What is the deal with Richardson and Kouandjio?

I'm saying that any journalist who can't get to the bottom of this story is not much of a journalist. That's what I'm saying.

They won't get Whaley and Marrone on record but this can't be that hard of a story to get to the bottom of. You pull aside two players, they tell you. You confirm with the assistant sub trainer. You report what the issue is as confirmed by players and other source. The end.

It's not like we're cracking open Deep Throat's identity here.

Assuming the reporter could get that kind of information it would would be extremely ****ty to report it. As you said it's not as if it's a national security issue. His right to privacy > your "right" to know.

Edited by Pondslider

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was insane that fans were writing off EJ after 10 NFL starts...now we are writing off rookie OT's after 1 week of practice?

When does the insanity end?

Not only that, we're calling it a catastrophic failure and a black mark on the resume of the front office when a 5th round OG isn't starting caliber after 1 week of practice. You know, if you want to go for all of the crazy.

Assuming the reporter could get that kind of information it would would be extremely ****ty to report it. As you said it's not as if it's a national security issue. His right to privacy > your "right" to know.

It's news. Reporters report news.

It's news. Reporters report news.

Reporters get employees to violate HIPAA?

I understand the value in a real whistle-blower situation, but unless you've got a bet riding on how many preseason starts Glenn is going to make, I don't really understand the problem here.

I'm saying that any journalist who can't get to the bottom of this story is not much of a journalist. That's what I'm saying.

They won't get Whaley and Marrone on record but this can't be that hard of a story to get to the bottom of. You pull aside two players, they tell you. You confirm with the assistant sub trainer. You report what the issue is as confirmed by players and other source. The end.

It's not like we're cracking open Deep Throat's identity here.

and if the players don't tell you? Because they have been educated not to?

Reporters get employees to violate HIPAA?

I understand the value in a real whistle-blower situation, but unless you've got a bet riding on how many preseason starts Glenn is going to make, I don't really understand the problem here.

You don't understand HIPAA and how they could get this story.

Asking questions does not violate HIPAA.

If someone in a position to violate HIPAA and does, how is that the journalists' problem, especially if he protects the source?

You all set low expectations for your journalists.

And if some journalist found out, determined that keeping it private makes some kind of moral sense (I can't imagine a situation where whatever is going on falls into this category but let's say it does), he could still report it as a "private medical issue" and discuss updates on possible return.

If you don't think this is odd, I'm surprised. The starting LT, one of the most important players on the team, is out and it's not explained. It's weird.

and if the players don't tell you? Because they have been educated not to?

Players, staff, ball boys, friends. It's called being a reporter. It can't be that hard to find out. This isn't the formula for Coca Cola.

If someone in a position to violate HIPAA and does, how is that the journalists' problem, especially if he protects the source?

And if some journalist found out, determined that keeping it private makes some kind of moral sense (I can't imagine a situation where whatever is going on falls into this category but let's say it does), he could still report it as a "private medical issue" and discuss updates on possible return.

If you don't think this is odd, I'm surprised. The starting LT, one of the most important players on the team, is out and it's not explained. It's weird.

Players, staff, ball boys, friends. It's called being a reporter. It can't be that hard to find out. This isn't the formula for Coca Cola.

Who do you imagine this intrepid journalist would ask that would A) Know the reason for Glenn being out B) Willing to betray whatever kind of trust they would have to know that C) Possibly willing to lose their job as well. If it's something Marrone can't talk about why would a ballboy know? How many people do imagine are privy to this apparently extremely personal information? And again assuming they could get the information -- for what? To know what we already know? That he's going to be out for the preseason for whatever reason? How does knowing the specific ailment alter the situation in anyway other than maybe you feeling better about state of sports journalism?

i see. Perhaps the journalists who are too lazy to corner the secretary at OBD also prefer to continue covering the team.

It is not football-related, therefore HIPAA laws come into play...making Cordy Glenn the ONLY person in this world who can openly talk about whatever the problem is.

So, unless Cordy Glenn tells them, no journalist is going to get you the answer you are looking for.

Not quite. You and I can openly talk about Cordy's health problems as we are in no way connected to Cordy's healthcare. We could broadcast it from roofs and not be in violation of HIPAA. That said, Cordy is the only person who can legally reveal his health problem.

Here:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/administrative/privacyrule/

That said, it's likely best for his employer and his fellow employees to keep their mouths' shut.

Edited by kas23

Not quite. You and I can openly talk about Cordy's health problems as we are in no way connected to Cordy's healthcare. We could broadcast it from roofs and not be in violation of HIPAA. That said, Cordy is the only person who can legally reveal his health problem.

Here:

http://www.hhs.gov/o...ve/privacyrule/

That said, it's likely best for his employer and his fellow employees to keep their mouths' shut.

And I have no doubt they have been told to do so. There was a big stir-up last season that a player or staff member in Tampa told the media about something with Josh Freeman's medical history. Not a good look and opens up the team to risk. Edited by YoloinOhio

:lol:

It might have something to do with Pettine holding his players back against his own team last year, and it really showed up in some games down the road.

This year Schwartz seems to have taken off the kid gloves, and we are seeing what the line will really look like against some of the better D lines. I love it!!

Cordy's first year was with Wanny. Similar point, though.