Back Issues - Need Advice

Chef Jim

it was a joke

which you eventually got to

in case it wasn't mentioned

Don't keep your wallet in your back pocket when sitting.

it offsets the balance of the spine

maybe look into an inversion table. I hear they may help

My dad mentioned the wallet thing. He went on how his sciatic issues were because of his wallet and thought he'd solved all my problems. Whoa, whoa, whoa slow down there old man. I use a money clip.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't keep your wallet in your back pocket when sitting.

it offsets the balance of the spine

LoL... I wonder what working 25 years of swing shift has done to my body... ?? Every 3 weeks on midnights in a beat up desk chair from the 1960's! LoL... The good thing is, I got no money to carry in a wallet and can walk miles if I want too... And if God is almighty and just, I can't see myself NOT doing this for another 30 years. They will probably make it 72 or 75 before collecting Social Security, if it is even still there. :-O

I was diagnosed with JRA as baby. Had my worst flair up about 20 years ago, in my mid-20's... So far, not bad, but dread hitting my 50's. I try and tell myself to stay moving no matter how much it hurts and block it out of my mind.

Proper sleep is the big thing... LoL...

a chair makes all the difference too.

at times when the company moved offices around I found that would have to keep the chair I had or find one just as comfortable. Then I had to find the sweet spot height wise for my back not to ache by mid day.

sometimes older chairs are better than those expensive ergonomic chairs.

Hey thanks for all the advice and ideas guys but seriously, do you think I would take ideas regarding something as serious as my back from a bunch of nimrods on a football message board? Really??? All asked was has anyone tried acupunture and has it worked. Jeesh. :rolleyes:

Just letting you know it's really me.

Soooo anyway I tried my first acupuncture session yesterday and so far no change. As a matter of fact it felt worse this morning. The only good thing I got out of it was a tall young Asian chick grabbing my ass. I go back for session two tomorrow.

Edited by Chef Jim

Jim, for sciatica Acupuncture only scratches the surface. You've got a deep nerve inflammation from the sounds of it, and the only QUICK way to put out that fire is to have an epidural directly on the bulging disk/nerve impingement.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the advice but nothing has worked. Chiropractor, acupuncture, high dose steroids, epidural. So surgery it is. When I heard it was outpatient laser surgery where I could go back to work the next day made it easier to take that route. I'm set for next Friday.

Thanks for the advice but nothing has worked. Chiropractor, acupuncture, high dose steroids, epidural. So surgery it is. When I heard it was outpatient laser surgery where I could go back to work the next day made it easier to take that route. I'm set for next Friday.

What is that laser surgery all about???

If it's lumbar I might consider surgery. My dad had almost exactly what you described for what seemed like forever and nothing worked. Finally he got the surgery and has been much better ever since.

On the flip side, I had a disk problem in my cervical spine from a basketball injury that was excruciating and constant. There was no way to position myself to relieve the pain, no pills that would help (beer helped a little), and it was accompanied by shooting pain and numbness into all my extremities. All of them. It hurt so bad I couldn't even sit in a chair and watch TV. Surgery wasn't a good option for me because of the location. I spent two to three years thinking I was going to spend the rest of my life as a cripple in agonizing pain. But then it slowly started to fade and now I live a normal life. I still have to be careful not to do anything crazy - I had to give up contact sports - and I occasionally have some mild pain or a pinched nerve, but for the most part it's not something that burdens me significantly. So for me surgery wasn't a good option. I've come to find exercise helps a lot.

Now, if it was lumbar I'd have gotten the surgery and that may be the best thing for you. There's obviously no guarantee your pain will subside like mine did and your risk isn't as substantial, but I thought I'd put it out there to let you know there is hope that it could get better on its own.

I guess I should have read through the thread. I think you'll be glad you went this route.

If it's lumbar I might consider surgery. My dad had almost exactly what you described for what seemed like forever and nothing worked. Finally he got the surgery and has been much better ever since.

On the flip side, I had a disk problem in my cervical spine from a basketball injury that was excruciating and constant. There was no way to position myself to relieve the pain, no pills that would help (beer helped a little), and it was accompanied by shooting pain and numbness into all my extremities. All of them. It hurt so bad I couldn't even sit in a chair and watch TV. Surgery wasn't a good option for me because of the location. I spent two to three years thinking I was going to spend the rest of my life as a cripple in agonizing pain. But then it slowly started to fade and now I live a normal life. I still have to be careful not to do anything crazy - I had to give up contact sports - and I occasionally have some mild pain or a pinched nerve, but for the most part it's not something that burdens me significantly. So for me surgery wasn't a good option. I've come to find exercise helps a lot.

Now, if it was lumbar I'd have gotten the surgery and that may be the best thing for you. There's obviously no guarantee your pain will subside like mine did and your risk isn't as substantial, but I thought I'd put it out there to let you know there is hope that it could get better on its own.

I guess I should have read through the thread. I think you'll be glad you went this route.

Thanks man. It is in the lumbar. I'll let you all know in two weeks how it came out.

Sounds like you have not done physiotherapy and a daily stretching regiment at home which is the only treatment that would work for your back issue besides surgery. I wouldn't even have bothered with the list of treatments you mentioned above.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Sounds like you have not done physiotherapy and a daily stretching regiment at home which is the only treatment that would work for your back issue besides surgery. I wouldn't even have bothered with the list of treatments you mentioned above.

Yes I tried stretching when I was able to do so. The pain usually made it prohibitive. I also forgot to mention that I had purchased an inversion table and used that quite a bit with zero results.