Back Issues - Need Advice

Chef Jim

Wow, an "I LOVE you guys!" post from Chef Jim. Will wonders never cease.

Ha! It originally was literally an "I love you guys" post and then i came to my senses. That and the first round of pain meds wore off.

I've had severe back issues since I was in a car wreck in 1972.

I was seeing a Neurosurgeon in 1991 for this same condition.(pancaked L4, L5 discs) I was in such bad shape, I couldn't walk down a flight of stairs at that time.

You have to strengthen your core abdominal muscles, and keep them strong. If you are overweight, do the best you can to lose it.

I beat having to have the fusion surgery because I had Physical Therapy for seven weeks. I worked like a mofo, because I was scared sch!ttless of back surgery.(I still am)

I highly recommend that you get some physical therapy. You can come back from this.

Here is a link to a therapy that may be on the horizon:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-new-hope-for-back-pain-sufferers/

If this procedure goes mainstream, I will have it done for myself.

Good luck.

I did get over it. That's what the surgery did. But I did make a promise when I'm fully recovered I'm going to use my inversion table for crunches and start hiking the trails and hills that are all around where we live.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is why I don't normally ask for advice here. Everything all of you told me to try didn't work and what most of you told me not to do did. Had the surgery this morning. Home and other than the pain where they performed the procedure the terrible pain down my leg is gone. Let's hope it holds.

But seriously thanks all. We may give each other **** but you're all a great bunch of guys. Well that's until the pain meds wear off then you'll all be back to being a bunch of a-holes. ;)

Hope you are feeling better... Get well soon!

I haven't read through the entire thread, but I see some solid advice here. The best thing I can do is recommend you see a very good doctor for individualized care. Similar issued can very quite a bit between individuals and what might work for one type of issue may not work for another.

I have suffered from back pain (L4/sciatic issues) since my late teens (when I was thin and in great shape) through periods of being fat and can tell you, the amount of pain has varied seemingly unrelated to my weight. Still I understand the undue stress of my excess weight is doing me no favors. My back stretches and exercises seem to work for awhile, but then sometimes exacerbate the pain. I'm not a good guide on this as I have a hard time pacing myself. So in that regard I'm probably my own worst enemy.

I have found a very good DO. I prefer a DO to a chiropractor as a DO has full medical training and is, in all senses, a full medical doctor. It is unlikely a quality DO will mistreat the issue with manipulations if that isn't the proper course (at least in my experience). While there are some very fine chiropractors out there, I'd get many recommendations before seeing one, as too many feel they can cure anything with manipulations.

For the past 10 years or so, I have been using a Fentanyl patch. A serious narcotic which needs to be carefully used. It provides a constant, very low dose, of synthetic morphine to my body. It is highly addictive. But it completely changed my life for the better. I can actually function from the minute I pop out of bed and not have to down pain pills, which tend to dull my senses. I, of course, continue with my exercises and am once again losing weight. I am careful to not use it do dull ALL of my pain, and I typically use less than my prescribed dosage, and or skip days, to keep the addictive side-effects to a minimum. This course isn't right for everyone and it isn't a solution to the problem. But it might be something to consider if the pain is so bad you can't really follow any other prescribed method.

Good luck on this, Chef. Back pain is a B word.

Edit: Should have read further through the thread before I posted. I see you got the surgery. Hope it works out for you.

Edited by The Dean

But I did make a promise when I'm fully recovered I'm going to use my inversion table for crunches and start hiking the trails and hills that are all around where we live.

Hiking is a great exercise, cheap and easy. You don't need to start right out hiking 20 miles up a 15,000 foot mountain. Find some local trails, 1 to 5 miles round trip and build up your endurance. Don't believe the hype that you need a $150 pair of hiking boots. I use a cheap $40 pair from Walmart, they usually last me a year or two before needing to be replaced. Carry water and food, and a small first aid kit with you.

I would go with the surgery. You're welcome!

And we have a wiener!!

So far so good. The hard thing is taking it easy seeing the pain is almost gone. Did a bit too much yesterday and too long of a walk today. Sitting with feet up and ice on my my back.

Oh and a beer in my hand. :D

And we have a wiener!!

So far so good. The hard thing is taking it easy seeing the pain is almost gone. Did a bit too much yesterday and too long of a walk today. Sitting with feet up and ice on my my back.

Oh and a beer in my hand. :D

If you're sitting up, would the ice not be under your back. If you want the ice to be on your back, I suggest laying on your stomach. But that would make the beer difficult to drink, so I suggest keeping the ice under your back if it's making it feel better.

As always ... my pleasure.

If you're sitting up, would the ice not be under your back. If you want the ice to be on your back, I suggest laying on your stomach. But that would make the beer difficult to drink, so I suggest keeping the ice under your back if it's making it feel better.

You have no idea what kinds of contortions I can go through in order to drink beer

Not difficult at all.....

FriendspilledhisbeerBartendersaidheneededthisthestrawofshame-30810.jpg

Here's Chef Gump. He forgot to mention the ice cream cones:

post-1877-0-54884200-1414311492_thumb.jpg

As always... My Pleasure.