Programming Alert: Andre Reed the Road to Canton

Just finished watching it. Questions I had afterward:

1. Whatever happened to Chris Burkett?

2. Does Sammy's initial work ethic, strengths and talent remind of you of what Reed brought to the Bills in '85? A go-to WR who feels he is always open and will make the catch, with the suddenness and RAC ability to dominate?

3. Could the transformation the Bills made from 1985 to 1988 under Polian and Levy be mirrored by this team under Whaley and Marrone? As Tasker said, "all of a sudden, we were just really good." It didn't happen overnight, but it did happen.

<Pauses to take a sip of Kool-Aid>

1. Played out his rookie contract and signed with Jets. Had a decent career

2. No. Sammy cost 2-1st & a 3rd. Reed was a 4th rdr and our 2nd WR drafted that year.

3. No. NOTHING about the current team resembles the 90's teams.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. No. Sammy cost 2-1st & a 3rd. Reed was a 4th rdr and our 2nd WR drafted that year.

I wasn't referring to his draft position

I wasn't referring to the 90s teams. Transformation in late 80s. But I suppose your answer is the same. nvm!

Edited by YoloinOhio

The Van Miller calls give me chills. Every time.

listening to Van call that comeback game is like nothing else in my life.

Passing my spiked Kool-Aid to mrags on the left! Have fun in Canton, my man.

no Kool Aid here my man. Only truth. I wasn't old enough to remember the last turn around in the mod to late 80s that well but from my historical knowledge of the franchise it seems eerily similar.

Jim Kelly- EJ

Thurman Thomas- Freddy/CJ

Reed- Sammy

Woods- Lofton

metzlaars- Chandler

Wood- Hull

Glenn- Rubin

Bruce- Mario

Talley- Kiko

Bennett- Spikes

Odoms- McKelvin

Smith- Gilmore

Henry- A. Williams

The similarities are there for sure.

Edited by mrags

Just finished watching it. Questions I had afterward:

1. Whatever happened to Chris Burkett?

2. Does Sammy's initial work ethic, strengths and talent remind of you of what Reed brought to the Bills in '85? A go-to WR who feels he is always open and will make the catch, with the suddenness and RAC ability to dominate?

3. Could the transformation the Bills made from 1985 to 1988 under Polian and Levy be mirrored by this team under Whaley and Marrone? As Tasker said, "all of a sudden, we were just really good." It didn't happen overnight, but it did happen.

<Pauses to take a sip of Kool-Aid>

Chris Burkett got onto a very visible shouting match with Kelly and a week later he was a Jet.

Yes and yes, I'll have the orange Kool-Aid thank you.

Oh and I had to leave the room for wide right.

Burkett was traded in 1989 after two games.

Edited by chris heff

no Kool Aid here my man. Only truth. I wasn't old enough to remember the last turn around in the mod to late 80s that well but from my historical knowledge of the franchise it seems eerily similar.

Jim Kelly- EJ

Reed- Sammy

Woods- Lofton

metzlaars- Chandler

Wood- Hull

Glenn- Rubin

Bruce- Mario

Talley- Kiko

Bennett- Spikes

Odoms- McKelvin

Smith- Gilmore

Henry- A. Williams

Wow. Absolutely NOTHING similar here at all! I really don't know where to begin except that you're just too young to draw any comparisons.

It was a great watch, well worth the time...and also agree with sentiments made above, listening to Van Miller's call of the Comeback put a smile on my face and immediately transported me back to my parents' living room screaming at the top of my lungs while I watched that game...where we lived in CNY, there wasn't the same black-out rules that apply today, we were beyond that magical and infuriating invisible circle that decided which games made it on and which ones didn't...back when NBC carried the AFC games...man, those were some great memories, and the very reason I'm a BILLS fan today, I just happen to take an interest at the right time for the BILLS...and I was hooked, a sucker for life....I also agree with Yolo, that while this team has not "yet" proven they are similar in productivity to the developing and emerging BILLS team that went to 4 straight Super Bowls, there is a lot to like and some similarities as to how talent has come on this team....don't know how the BILLS will do this year, but *not* seeing improvement and at least a Wild Card playoff berth would seem to be anti-climactic...

Jim Kelly- EJ

Reed- Sammy

Woods- Lofton

metzlaars- Chandler

Wood- Hull

Glenn- Rubin

Bruce- Mario

Talley- Kiko

Bennett- Spikes

Odoms- McKelvin

Smith- Gilmore

Henry- A. Williams

I see some similarities (Watkins could be Reed, Aaron Williams could be Henry Jones, Gilmore could be Odoms and Kiko could be Bennett). Other than that this team is light years from that team in terms of talent. As good as Mario Williams is he isn't even in Bruce's league. The only position that the Bills are better at now is DT, IMO. LT is close as well.

I see some similarities (Watkins could be Reed, Aaron Williams could be Henry Jones, Gilmore could be Odoms and Kiko could be Bennett). Other than that this team is light years from that team in terms of talent. As good as Mario Williams is he isn't even in Bruce's league. The only position that the Bills are better at now is DT, IMO. LT is close as well.

I never meant to say this team is as talented as the 90s Bills. Clearly! I meant that we have "hit" on some very talented draft picks several years in a row, IMO... plus the big time trade (a la Bennett) for an elite game changer... 1st rd draft pick at QB getting more experience ... could turn the corner relatively soon...

The interior of this D Line is much better than the team of the 1990s. Jeff Wright was the Achilles heal.

I never meant to say this team is as talented as the 90s Bills. Clearly! I meant that we have "hit" on some very talented draft picks several years in a row, IMO... plus the big time trade (a la Bennett) for an elite game changer... 1st rd draft pick at QB getting more experience ... could turn the corner relatively soon...

I know what you meant and sorry if it sounded as if I was dismissing it. Obviously, those two teams aren't close but there is a level of talent on the Bills now that hasn't been here in a long, long time. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I know what you meant and sorry if it sounded as if I was dismissing it. Obviously, those two teams aren't close but there is a level of talent on the Bills now that hasn't been here in a long, long time.

The Kool-Aid in me wants to think that after the revolving door of coaches, GMs, and QBs this is finally the group to turn the corner. I truly believe that they feel Sammy could be a major cog in that, because of how he can make a QB look better and force defenses to plan for him, and that's what made me think of this while they described Reed on that show.

Loved it.

Very touching and gave some insight to stuff I never knew like how Frank Reich said that during SB25 during warm ups, Norwood was hooking all of his kicks during warm ups so he wasnt surprised it went wide right.

Speaking of which, does anyone else still hope that Norwood makes the kick when they show the replay?

CBF

Loved it.

Very touching and gave some insight to stuff I never knew like how Frank Reich said that during SB25 during warm ups, Norwood was hooking all of his kicks during warm ups so he wasnt surprised it went wide right.

Speaking of which, does anyone else still hope that Norwood makes the kick when they show the replay?

CBF

Like a poster stated above, I went in the other room for that. Breaks my heart every time.

Loved it.

CBF

I heard the opposite, but might have completely missed the boat. I thought he said Norwood had been hooking his kicks more than usual in warm ups, so he was sure the kick was good (i.e. it would hook back), but then it drifted wide.