Know anyone with a disease? Read this

Israeli autism study

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/249591

From the article

The study included 60 children, with an average age of 12, whose condition had not improved with conventional drug therapy.

The children were treated using cannabis oil with a concentration of 20% CBD and 1% THC for at least seven months. THC is the main psychoactive ingredient in the marijuana plant. CBD, on the other hand, has no psychoactive effect.

At the end of the treatment period, the children's parents filled out questionnaires to assess the change in their condition. The parents were asked whether they had noticed a change in their child's behavior, the extent of their child's anxiety and whether their child's communication abilities had changed.

80% of the children’s parents who participated in the study reported a decrease in problematic behavior, with 62% percent reporting that their child's behavior improved significantly.

On 5/16/2017 at 8:07 AM, Bob in Mich said:

RSO (Rick Simpson Oil) is touted as a cannabis treatment option for many health problems including cancer. Canadian Rick Simpson is credited with reviving medical interest in this essential oil.

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/what-is-rick-simpson-oil

RSO (Rick Simpson Oil or cannabis concentrate oil)  has been shown to help some cancer patients reduce the size and/or number of their tumors.  The web has hundreds if not thousands of patient testimonials claiming cannabis oil has helped them 'beat back' a wide variety of cancers. 

There are animal studies showing that cannabinoids can be effective in getting cancer cells to commit suicide (apoptosis) and in starving tumors of blood supply.   It seems apparent that cannabinoids and the body's endo-cannabinoid system have a role in suppressing cancer development in healthy individuals and so a possible role in treating cancers in unhealthy individuals.  Given that cannabinoids are very well tolerated and do not harm healthy cells, to me anyway, cannabis based medicines show great promise in this area.

Unfortunately, I have also witnessed many cases where sadly the RSO had little anti-tumor impact and the patient passed away from their cancer.  The question for a long time for those of us that have seen both outcomes has been, why?  Why is it miraculous for some and all but useless to others?

Dedi Meiri, an Israeli researcher, and his team are attempting to answer that question.  His team is compiling two databases - one a cannabis strain DB and the other a cancer patient DB - and attempting to match the cannabis strains to the types of cancer it can impact.  They are determining which strains of cannabis were effective against what types of cancers.

His research group is also now able to breakdown the RSO into all of the plant's cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids - over 150 compounds.  Once they determine effective strains against a given cancer, they cross reference to determine which of the 150 compounds within the strains were common.  In other words, they are homing in on exactly which cannabinoid, or combination of cannabinoids/terpenes/flavonoids, are the effective components in the fight.  Once determined, these compounds can be isolated, bred up, or synthesized to hopefully design an effective anti-cancer treatment.  Instead of treating all tumor types with RSO, a much more targeted approach can be tried.

The first video is sort of an informal talk but very informative.  It is 7-8 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txywY2CyfKA&t=256s

In the second video Dr Meiri talks about both cancer and autism.  It is 18 minutes long

Edited by Bob in Mich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/26/2018 at 10:26 AM, Bob in Mich said:

Yesterday the FDA approved this cannabis based medicine for 2 forms of child onset epilepsy.  The DEA is yet to rule

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fda-approves-epidiolex-first-marijuana-based-drug-for-seizures/

U.S. health regulators on Monday approved the first prescription drug made from marijuana, a milestone that could spur more research into a drug that remains illegal under federal law, despite growing legalization for recreational and medical use.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the medication, called Epidiolex, to treat two rare forms of epilepsy that begin in childhood. But it's not quite medical marijuana.

The DEA has scheduled cannabis based Epidiolex at schedule V  (5). 

The next big hurdle in accepting cannabis medicines in the US will be insurance reimbursement.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gw-pharmaceuticals-plc-u-subsidiary-132707857.html

“We are pleased that the DEA has placed EPIDIOLEX in the lowest restriction Schedule, because it will help ensure that patients with LGS and Dravet syndrome, two of the most debilitating forms of epilepsy, can access this important new treatment option through their physicians,” said Justin Gover, GW’s Chief Executive Officer. “With this final step in the regulatory process completed, we are working hard to make EPIDIOLEX available within the next six weeks as we know there is excitement for a standardized version of cannabidiol that has undergone the rigor of controlled clinical trials and been approved by the FDA.”

Edited by Bob in Mich

4 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

The DEA has scheduled cannabis based Epidiolex at schedule V  (5)

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gw-pharmaceuticals-plc-u-subsidiary-132707857.html

“We are pleased that the DEA has placed EPIDIOLEX in the lowest restriction Schedule, because it will help ensure that patients with LGS and Dravet syndrome, two of the most debilitating forms of epilepsy, can access this important new treatment option through their physicians,” said Justin Gover, GW’s Chief Executive Officer. “With this final step in the regulatory process completed, we are working hard to make EPIDIOLEX available within the next six weeks as we know there is excitement for a standardized version of cannabidiol that has undergone the rigor of controlled clinical trials and been approved by the FDA.”

Hooray for medicinal...medicine!!! :lol:

14 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

The DEA has scheduled cannabis based Epidiolex at schedule V  (5). 

The next big hurdle in accepting cannabis medicines in the US will be insurance reimbursement.

Wait, what?  Under a GOP administration?  The horrors of Trump continue.

Now that Epidiolex, a cannabis CBD medicine, has been approved, what is the legal impact to other CBD based products?

https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/faq-what-to-know-about-the-deas-cbd-rescheduling-order

Did the federal government reschedule cannabidiol (CBD)?

Not exactly. The DEA’s rescheduling order opens the door to certain FDA-approved drugs that contain cannabidiol. It doesn’t affect all CBD products. In fact, it affects only one at this point. Epidiolex, a purified cannabidiol extract produced by the British company GW Pharma, is so far the only CBD drug to earn FDA approval. In short, not a single CBD product currently on the US market was affected by the change.

I thought this was impossible:

I'm Just a Middle-Aged House Dad Addicted to Pot

Cannabis should be legal, just as alcohol should be legal. But marijuana addiction exists, and it almost wrecked my life.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/06/opinion/sunday/marijuana-addiction.html?action=click&module=Trending&pgtype=Article&region=Footer&contentCollection=Trending

4 hours ago, bbb said:

Cannabis should be legal, just as alcohol should be legal. But marijuana addiction exists, and it almost wrecked my life.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/06/opinion/sunday/marijuana-addiction.html?action=click&module=Trending&pgtype=Article&region=Footer&contentCollection=Trending

tumblr_mlmaomvpPV1r4gei2o1_400.gif

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, bbb said:

My name is Bob and I live in Michigan.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, bbb said:

Yes, but does he have cancer?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/21/2014 at 2:55 PM, Bob in Mich said:

OK, if you have watched or read about cannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors, you now know that they are in animals too, including pets.

After the jokes die down, if you have an older pet with health issues, it may be worth further research. Note, I am not any sort of medical professional.

If your pet is tolerating its medicine well and it is effective, certainly do not change anything. At this point my non-professional opinion would be to consider this option when there isn't really much else that your vet can do.

DO NOT FORCE SMOKE INTO YOUR PET'S FACE. I am talking about cannabis based medicines, such as glycerin tinctures, for pets, especially pets nearing the end of their life. Or, the concentrated oil can be smeared onto treats or even right onto the teeth of a pet that has no appetite. It will be absorbed through the tissues in the mouth as it melts. Capsules can easily be made from the concentrates if your pet can take them. Start with the tiniest of dosages and work up to an effective dose.

Why would anyone do that to their pet, right? Well, as with people, it largely has to do with positive effects and lack of negative side effects.

The big three positive effects I suppose are pain reduction, appetite stimulation, and restful sleep. As with people too, an animal will need a few doses to get used to the medicine and may lose some coordination with the initial doses. Be careful around stairs or drop-offs. Watch the animal until it falls asleep. If given a large dose be watchful as the pet could wet the bed. They sleep very soundly and typically wake up, go outside to do some business, come in, and head to their food bowl.

I guess it shouldn't be all that surprising that veterinarians haven't started reusing it as medicine, at least the vast majority of them. Few enough doctors believe in the benefits and people are telling them directly. Not many dogs are talking, even after ingesting cannabis.

I want to mention one, certain to be doubted effect that I witnessed first hand. The concentrated cannabis oil, when repeatedly applied over the course of a month or two, can shrink mast cell tumors on the skin of a dog. My dog, due to anesthesia problems could not withstand more surgery. I had read about this cannabis possibility, had the oil on hand, and so started melting my dog's leg tumor over the course of six weeks.

When I returned to the same vet that had refused to remove the growth under a local, he was very surprised and wanted to know what I had done. I only took the dog to clean the wound because it now appeared that he was going to survive for a while and I was afraid that it might get infected. After cleaning up the wound area, the vet said, "the growth was now hanging on by a thread, so I removed it and sewed it up"

Several months later I had to put the dog down. Eventually his problems compounded and I couldn't take watching the struggle. On his last morning before our ride to the vet however, he had a good appetite.

------------------------------------------

Here were some historical veterinary uses of cannabis

http://antiquecannabisbook.com/chap14/Veterinary.htm

I had always believed that cannabis medicines would make inroads in treating our pets before being used to treat humans.  I was wrong.  Veterinary medicine has generally lagged behind.

This article explains why that is and why it may begin changing in just a few months.

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/what-science-says-about-giving-dogs-cats-cannabis-cbd

From the article:

That study, titled “Pharmacokinetics, Safety, and Clinical Efficacy of Cannabidiol Treatment in Osteoarthritic Dogs,” was led by Dr. Joseph Wakshlag of Cornell University. Wakshlag and colleagues measured the effects of a particular hemp-based cannabidiol product—ElleVet Sciences’ proprietary hemp oil blend—on pain and arthritis in a small sample of dogs.

The results were remarkable: More than 80% of the dogs in the study saw significant decrease in pain and improved mobility.