Know anyone with a disease? Read this

On 9/3/2014 at 11:23 AM, Nanker said:

I have a distant relative that's a heroin addict.

Can marijuana cure her of that?

I am a little behind on replying to questions I guess.  Sorry.  I hope she is still with us.

For a long time there have been (former) addict testimonials on the ability of cannabis to help a person quit opiates.  Since cannabis can help to treat the withdrawal symptoms of anxiety, pain, and nausea most (including me) have assumed that these were the primary reasons that cannabis seemed to help.  According to this study, we see the reduction of cravings with CBD use may be the biggest factor of all.

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/cbd-can-help-with-heroin-addiction-study-finds

From the article

The study team found that CBD, in contrast to placebo, significantly reduced both the craving and anxiety induced by drug cues compared with neutral cues in the acute term. CBD also showed significant protracted effects on these measures seven days after the final short-term exposure. In addition, CBD reduced the drug cue-induced physiological measures of heart rate and salivary cortisol levels. There were no significant effects on cognition, and there were no serious adverse events. The capacity of CBD to reduce craving and anxiety one week after the final administration mirrors the results of the original preclinical animal study, suggesting that the effects of CBD are long-lasting, even when the cannabinoid would not be expected to be present in the body.

On 9/3/2014 at 11:49 AM, Bob in Mich said:

If this is a serious question then you could start by looking into the recent research.

I would point out that studies sponsored by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, until very recently, were designed to show the harm of cannabis rather than its possible medical benefits. Keep that in mind when reviewing the studies.

Cannabinoid and opioid interactions: implications for opiate dependence and withdrawal.

17 September 2013

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23624062

From the research report

Research over the past decade has shed light on the influence of endocannabinoids (ECs) on the opioid system. Evidence from both animal and clinical studies point toward an interaction between these two systems, and suggest that targeting the EC system may provide novel interventions for managing opiate dependence and withdrawal.

Actually, jokes aside, I did reply to his question the same day as he asked.  I have always tried to reply and to provide whatever information I could to sincere questions.

26 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

It’s interesting the number of people in my “meetings” who have major addiction problems started with weed. ?

it's the easiest thing your older siblings and parents can get you started on when you are 11

another one died last week, making it well more than a dozen schoolmates dead way too soon that started when they were 11 or so

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

It’s interesting the number of people in my “meetings” who have major addiction problems started with weed. ?

When you say 'started', what does that even mean?  It appears that you are referring to the debunked 'gateway theory' with respect to cannabis and hard drug use.  I believe you know that it has been debunked so one must wonder why you would post that observation.  Care to explain?

The only legitimate gateway effect of cannabis, I would offer, is due to the cannabis dealer also being willing to sell his/her cannabis customer other (illicit) substances.  If the dealer wanted to support his own, say coke habit, he would often start dealing coke too, offering it to his regular customers.  Cannabis users were often introduced to harder drugs by the illegal drug salesperson.

Budtenders at legitimate, regulated, and licensed dispensaries may push particular products or cannabis strains or brands, but they will not try to upsell you cocaine.  Contrary to your implication of weed=bad, a legal nationwide cannabis market would be socially beneficial in reducing harder drug use/addiction.

EDIT:  Even NIDA, a government organization that has historically exaggerated the dangers of marijuana, has come around to debunking the gateway theory.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-gateway-drug

From the article

These findings are consistent with the idea of marijuana as a "gateway drug." However, the majority of people who use marijuana do not go on to use other, "harder" substances. Also, cross-sensitization is not unique to marijuana. Alcohol and nicotine also prime the brain for a heightened response to other drugs52 and are, like marijuana, also typically used before a person progresses to other, more harmful substances.

It is important to note that other factors besides biological mechanisms, such as a person’s social environment, are also critical in a person’s risk for drug use. An alternative to the gateway-drug hypothesis is that people who are more vulnerable to drug-taking are simply more likely to start with readily available substances such as marijuana, tobacco, or alcohol, and their subsequent social interactions with others who use drugs increases their chances of trying other drugs. Further research is needed to explore this question

Edited by Bob in Mich

51 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Actually, jokes aside, I did reply to his question the same day as he asked.  I have always tried to reply and to provide whatever information I could to sincere questions.

Ah, pot makes you forgetful too. Is there anything pot can't do?

Ah, you saw my 'best golf shot' post.  That was a fun thread.  I don't golf any longer and I was rarely better than a bogey golfer but can always be pressured into bragging on my hole in one.

Would it help you on the pro golf tour?  Not without rules changes to allow legal use.  Just too many eyes to be sneaking tokes on the tour.

One of the reasons it helped my game was the same reason beer did I think.  It would allow more complete swings.  My back issues would often take several holes to loosen up.  The additions would speed up that process.

15 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Ah, you saw my 'best golf shot' post.  That was a fun thread.  I don't golf any longer and I was rarely better than a bogey golfer but can always be pressured into bragging on my hole in one.

Would it help you on the pro golf tour?  Not without rules changes to allow legal use.  Just too many eyes to be sneaking tokes on the tour.

One of the reasons it helped my game was the same reason beer did I think.  It would allow more complete swings.  My back issues would often take several holes to loosen up.  The additions would speed up that process.

No, I did not see your best golf shot post. Furthermore, I was just busting your balls earlier, glad to see you lighten up. I don't golf anymore either due to back issues that won't let me complete my swing. I used to be pretty good (single digit handicap) but I certainly had to work on my game to play at that level.

11 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

No, I did not see your best golf shot post. Furthermore, I was just busting your balls earlier, glad to see you lighten up. I don't golf anymore either due to back issues that won't let me complete my swing. I used to be pretty good (single digit handicap) but I certainly had to work on my game to play at that level.

As I said, i was never very good but had a lot of fun rounds.  When talking golf with my old buddy, he often brings up my round of 96 at a course near Pittsburgh.  Nothing special about the total but the 58/38 breakdown was unusual even for me.   By the back nine I was so loose I shouldn't have been driving the cart but man I was smacking the ball.

7 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

When you say 'started', what does that even mean?  It appears that you are referring to the debunked 'gateway theory' with respect to cannabis and hard drug use.  I believe you know that it has been debunked so one must wonder why you would post that observation.  Care to explain?

The only legitimate gateway effect of cannabis, I would offer, is due to the cannabis dealer also being willing to sell his/her cannabis customer other (illicit) substances.  If the dealer wanted to support his own, say coke habit, he would often start dealing coke too, offering it to his regular customers.  Cannabis users were often introduced to harder drugs by the illegal drug salesperson.

Budtenders at legitimate, regulated, and licensed dispensaries may push particular products or cannabis strains or brands, but they will not try to upsell you cocaine.  Contrary to your implication of weed=bad, a legal nationwide cannabis market would be socially beneficial in reducing harder drug use/addiction.

EDIT:  Even NIDA, a government organization that has historically exaggerated the dangers of marijuana, has come around to debunking the gateway theory.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-gateway-drug

From the article

These findings are consistent with the idea of marijuana as a "gateway drug." However, the majority of people who use marijuana do not go on to use other, "harder" substances. Also, cross-sensitization is not unique to marijuana. Alcohol and nicotine also prime the brain for a heightened response to other drugs52 and are, like marijuana, also typically used before a person progresses to other, more harmful substances.

It is important to note that other factors besides biological mechanisms, such as a person’s social environment, are also critical in a person’s risk for drug use. An alternative to the gateway-drug hypothesis is that people who are more vulnerable to drug-taking are simply more likely to start with readily available substances such as marijuana, tobacco, or alcohol, and their subsequent social interactions with others who use drugs increases their chances of trying other drugs. Further research is needed to explore this question

Let me ask you a simple question. Had junior never tried pot what are the chances of him being introduced to the coke dealer? 

17 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Let me ask you a simple question. Had junior never tried pot what are the chances of him being introduced to the coke dealer? 

I don’t quite understand. It seems I answered that question in the post you just quoted. Indeed, buying cannabis from the illegal drug dealer increases the chances a customer will be introduced to other illicit substances.  

The point that I was making is that the real gateway problem then is not necessarily the cannabis use itself but instead is that, where it is illegal, we force cannabis users to associate with illegal dealers

Edited by Bob in Mich

51 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

I don’t quite understand. It seems I answered that question in the post you just quoted. Indeed, buying cannabis from the illegal drug dealer increases the chances a customer will be introduced to other illicit substances.  

The point that I was making is that the real gateway problem then is not necessarily the cannabis use itself but instead is that, where it is illegal, we force cannabis users to associate with illegal dealers

So Cannabis use is the gateway?  ?

Oh and BTW the high taxation of cannabis is forcing cannabis users to associate with illegal dealers. Again the government ***** up everything it touches. 

Edited by Chef Jim

20 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Basically zero 

Unless he makes a few million $$$ before he’s 25

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Basically zero 

Unless he makes a few million $$$ before he’s 25

And this is why in my mind it's a gateway.  It's not the use of cannabis that leads to harder drugs it's the environment.  So does keeping pot legal or legalizing it change that at all?  Not a bit.  The only thing that changes most behaviors is education!  

Edited by Chef Jim

I was on a flight to California, from Texas and watched an older woman get hand-cuffed for having CBD oils in her carry-on. I over-heard her saying that they were legally bought in California, where she lives.

I never thought about getting arrested for something legal in one state, but illegal in another....