Can We Finally Admit US Foreign Policy is a Disaster?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Mitt Romney gave a man's wife cancer and laughed when he personally fired the guy and black balled him from ever getting another job and healthcare insurance.

The President's got to make some seriously hard choices such as "3 iron, or can I make the green with a 5?" "Which vintage shall we have, the 2007 Domaine Georges & Christophe Roumier Musigny Grand Cru, Cote de Nuits, France, or the 1993 Henri Jayer Cros Parantoux, Vosne-Romanee Premier Cru - also from France?"

But Mitt Romney gave a man's wife cancer and laughed when he personally fired the guy and black balled him from ever getting another job and healthcare insurance.

The President's got to make some seriously hard choices such as "3 iron, or can I make the green with a 5?" "Which vintage shall we have, the 2007 Domaine Georges & Christophe Roumier Musigny Grand Cru, Cote de Nuits, France, or the 1993 Henri Jayer Cros Parantoux, Vosne-Romanee Premier Cru - also from France?"

Actually, the President doesn't choose the wines for dinner.

And they're usually Virginia wines, not French.

As President Obama and his team campaigned on the coming demise of al Qaeda in the runup to the 2012 election, millions of unread documents tell a very different story.

Al Qaeda Wasn’t ‘on the Run’

by Stephen F. Hayes

Original Article

Everything that is reported, done or even anticipated is executed through the lens of political advantage. Obama is an extremely partisan man who is constantly fighting a battle with the opposing party. He sees every Republican as an enemy to be defeated and is much more committed to that fight than he ever has been to defeating any terrorist organization.

America Can't Pay for Its Wars, Analysis Says

America can no longer afford all of its wars and military adventures abroad.

That’s the argument put forward by a nonpartisan budget analysis expressing concern over an apparent disconnect between the Defense Department, which has submitted its new budget for fiscal year 2015, and Congress, whose inability to balance a budget and agree on deficit levels has triggered automatic cuts that have slashed military spending to the bone and beyond.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/09/05/analysis-pentagon-cant-pay-for-itself-amid-budget-woes-increased-world-conflicts

America Can't Pay for Its Wars, Analysis Says

America can no longer afford all of its wars and military adventures abroad.

That’s the argument put forward by a nonpartisan budget analysis expressing concern over an apparent disconnect between the Defense Department, which has submitted its new budget for fiscal year 2015, and Congress, whose inability to balance a budget and agree on deficit levels has triggered automatic cuts that have slashed military spending to the bone and beyond.

http://www.usnews.co...world-conflicts

America hasn't been able to afford its government for decades. The DoD is just a part of the problem.

Krauthammer’s Take: President Obama Following the American People’s Lead on Plan to Defeat the Islamic State

On Tuesday’s Special Report, Charles Krauthammer said President Obama’s was forced to develop his forthcoming plan to defeat the Islamic State because of the shift in public opinion. “This is a man who’s been dragged kicking and screaming to face reality,” Krauthammer said. “This is a classic example of leading from behind where he [Obama] waits for public opinion and now it’s the public who’s demanding he does something. Americans don’t like to see other Americans killed on television by a prideful enemy like that and our president doing nothing.”

He went on to say if the videos showing the beheading of two American journalists had never been released, Obama’s strategy toward the Islamic State would be completely different. “It changed everything,” Krauthammer said. “It [the videos] changed public opinion—and Obama is nothing if not responsive to public opinion. He doesn’t lead. Here it’s the public that’s leading.” Krauthammer added that Obama’s task Wednesday in his national speech unveiling a plan to address the Islamic State will be to “undo everything he has said about the War on Terror since the day he was sworn in—everything he said, everything he promised, everything he assured people.”

Coming up at 9 (EST) President Obama's address to the nation

entitled "We Have to Go Back into Iraq............But Don't Blame Me"

How we got here is up for debate to be sure, but given where things stand now it is hard to know if there is any strategy that is a "good" one. We are where we are and we have to proceed from here. At least he realizes there is an issue. Time will tell if he addresses it correctly. I am a little dismayed that his "spin" seems political but I don't care if it is or not as long as his plan works.

How we got here is up for debate to be sure, but given where things stand now it is hard to know if there is any strategy that is a "good" one. We are where we are and we have to proceed from here. At least he realizes there is an issue. Time will tell if he addresses it correctly. I am a little dismayed that his "spin" seems political but I don't care if it is or not as long as his plan works.

Any strategy without a ground component is not a good one. This is not the kind of campaign you win with whiz-bang technology from miles away.

Any strategy without a ground component is not a good one. This is not the kind of campaign you win with whiz-bang technology from miles away.

How capable are the Iranians of providing the ground component in reality? Is it possible that part of the plan will be to rely on their boots on the ground? Otherwise, I'm not sure how they will accomplish much of anything without people on the ground. Clearly if that is part of the plan, it wouldn't be something they'd advertise on either side. (I'm arm-chairing this thing)

How much (if any) of our drone warfare capabilities require laser targeting from the ground? Does most of our precision guided ordinance require that or has the tech moved beyond the need for that?

complete farce of a speech, starting around 1:45 talks about conditions which gave rise to ISIS:

1. Sectarian strife in Iraq

2. Syria's civil war

Yet he fails to mention the obvious that it was our intervention in both places that made those conditions possible, as he tries to justify further intervention! :doh:

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I fear you are correct and hope that there will be boots from somewhere. Leaving a group like this alone for an extended period will not turnout well.