Can We Finally Admit US Foreign Policy is a Disaster?

Thousands of Iraqi Yazidis Are Trapped on a Mountaintop Dying of Thirst, Surrounded by Jihadists:

http://www.nationalr...unded-jihadists

"In one day, [iSIS] killed more than 2000 Yazidi in Sinjar, and the whole world says, ‘Save Gaza, save Gaza.’”

http://www.newyorker...ees-horror-isis

Reminder: In January, President Obama dismissed ISIS as al-Qaeda's "jayvee" team.

For the life of me I don't understand your habit of posting stories like this just to make gator laugh.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thousands of Iraqi Yazidis Are Trapped on a Mountaintop Dying of Thirst, Surrounded by Jihadists:

http://www.nationalr...unded-jihadists

"In one day, [iSIS] killed more than 2000 Yazidi in Sinjar, and the whole world says, ‘Save Gaza, save Gaza.’”

http://www.newyorker...ees-horror-isis

Reminder: In January, President Obama dismissed ISIS as al-Qaeda's "jayvee" team.

Why we have not had one drone strike against these mother !@#$ers is beyond me.

Why we have not had one drone strike against these mother !@#$ers is beyond me.

Well, we can't shoot at them in Syria, because when they're in Syria we support them.

And we can't shoot at them in Iraq, because that war is over.

Well, we can't shoot at them in Syria, because when they're in Syria we support them.

And we can't shoot at them in Iraq, because that war is over.

And this is the perfect post to respond to the question posed in the thread title.

From Jonah Goldberg:

In yesterday’s G-File, I wrote about Obama’s tendency to insist that he has done everything right. Failures are always the result of people or institutions not pulling their weight the way he does. ...........An excerpt:

At the press conference, the president made no mention of this in his prepared remarks about the Africa summit, which he read aloud with all of the passion of a DMV bureaucrat explaining the different methods of payment for a parking ticket. He then took questions. Chris Jansing of NBC asked whether the sanctions against Russia were working. With his customary logic-chopping defensiveness, the president responded that the sanctions were doing what they were intended to do, but it was unclear whether they were actually working. This is like explaining that the pepper spray did everything it was supposed to do but the bear is eating your face anyway.

It’s also perfectly Obamaesque. I did exactly what I set out to do. If it’s not working, it’s only because someone else isn’t responding the way they’re supposed to. I gave a speech telling the oceans to stop rising, damn it! I even said “let me be clear.”

The point of the sanctions isn’t to prove that sanctions can cause “economic pain.” The point is to deter Vladimir Putin. And on that score, they clearly aren’t working at all. It’s amazing to me how much Obama thinks and talks like a bureaucrat. I’ve checked my box! I did my job! I’ve fulfilled my responsibilities. If the bear is eating your face, it must be the fault of Jones in accounting. Hate that guy.

This has been Obama’s standard response to problems around the globe. He did what he was “supposed to do,” and whenever the consequences of his actions create problems, it’s because others didn’t do what they were supposed to do.

This is a good interview of Obama by nytimes columnist Friedman. He's being a little more candid than usual, maybe because his final term is halfway over. Basically he confirms what I've been saying all along: his half pregnant neocon strategy is contradictory and a failure.

On Libya: wasnt enough to depose ghadafi; failure was not following thru on the ground. Call this his biggest foreign policy regret

Syria: not many sectarian rebels and anyway its a fantasy to think we can arm a bunch of career noncombatants like doctors and lawyers and train them to effectively fight a Russian backed military. But doesn't answer wtf we did just that!!!!

Russia: they could invade eastern Ukraine at any time and about all we could do about it is have poor relations with them. Well then why the heck did we provoke a conflict there????!!!!

Obama on the World

President Obama Talks to Thomas L. Friedman About Iraq, Putin and Israel

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/09/opinion/president-obama-thomas-l-friedman-iraq-and-world-affairs.html?_r=0&referrer=

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

This is a good interview of Obama by nytimes columnist Friedman. He's being a little more candid than usual, maybe because his final term is halfway over. Basically he confirms what I've been saying all along: his half pregnant neocon strategy is contradictory and a failure.

On Libya: wasnt enough to depose ghadafi; failure was not following thru on the ground. Call this his biggest foreign policy regret

Syria: not many sectarian rebels and anyway its a fantasy to think we can arm a bunch of career noncombatants like doctors and lawyers and train them to effectively fight a Russian backed military. But doesn't answer wtf we did just that!!!!

Russia: they could invade eastern Ukraine at any time and about all we could do about it is have poor relations with them. Well then why the heck did we provoke a conflict there????!!!!

Obama on the World

President Obama Talks to Thomas L. Friedman About Iraq, Putin and Israel

http://mobile.nytime...?_r=0&referrer=

We started it in Ukraine? Did we start the Napoleonic wars too? Who did that? Nixon?

At this point in his Presidency, with little over 2 years left, I think Obama's foreign policy will be: It's his predecessors fault and his successors problem

Same can be said about debt, SS, Medicare, jobs and possibly immigration depending on what he does or doesn't do on that.

Outgoing Defense Intelligence Agency Chief Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn torches the bridge on the way to retirement.

JK: After Bin Laden was killed and democratic revolutions swept through the Middle East, there was a belief in the White House and elsewhere that his radical Islamist movement would also die. Why did you push back against that?

Flynn: There’s a political component to that issue, but when Bin Laden was killed there was a general sense that maybe this threat would go away. We all had those hopes, including me. But I also remembered my many years in Afghanistan and Iraq [fighting insurgents].. We kept decapitating the leadership of these groups, and more leaders would just appear from the ranks to take their place. That’s when I realized that decapitation alone was a failed strategy.

JK: Did you ever feel like a lone voice in the administration warning that the terrorist threat was growing, not receding?

Flynn: I think we collectively felt that way. We said many times, “Hey, we need to get this intelligence in front of the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of State, the National Security adviser! The White House needs to see this intelligence picture we have!” We saw all this connective tissue developing between these [proliferating] terrorist groups. So when asked if the terrorists were on the run, we couldn’t respond with any answer but ‘no.’ When asked if the terrorists were defeated, we had to say ‘no.’ Anyone who answers ‘yes’ to either of those questions either doesn’t know what they are talking about, they are misinformed, or they are flat out lying.