Training Camp Newbie...Help?

Hello all.

I have never been to training camp before, and have decided to take my son and my Father on Monday 7/21. My father had back surgery last year, and cannot walk very well. He can walk for short distances, but then needs to rest (I plan on bringing a folding chair).

In order to make it a better experience for everyone, I am looking for some suggestions. Where to park? What time to get there (2pm practice)? Where to eat? Where to sit? Best way to get autographs? Any other helpful hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks TBD family!!

Go Bills!!

Edit: Mod's, I realize that there is another training camp "advice thread," but was hoping for some suggestions specific to my situation (i.e., Father's limited mobility).

Oh yeah, also, do I need to get tickets? If so, how do I purchase them? We will be coming from Syracuse.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Hello all.

I have never been to training camp before, and have decided to take my son and my Father on Monday 7/21. My father had back surgery last year, and cannot walk very well. He can walk for short distances, but then needs to rest (I plan on bringing a folding chair).

In order to make it a better experience for everyone, I am looking for some suggestions. Where to park? What time to get there (2pm practice)? Where to eat? Where to sit? Best way to get autographs? Any other helpful hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks TBD family!!

Go Bills!!

Oh yeah, also, do I need to get tickets? If so, how do I purchase them? We will be coming from Syracuse.

I can tell you TIX are free, but you have to stop at specific places to get them

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/07/bills_training_camp_ticket_information.html

I can tell you TIX are free, but you have to stop at specific places to get them

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/07/bills_training_camp_ticket_information.html

Thank you. Given that it is a 2pm practice, however, do you think I will need tickets at all? The reason I ask is because the link you provided refers specifically to the night practices.

Thank you. Given that it is a 2pm practice, however, do you think I will need tickets at all? The reason I ask is because the link you provided refers specifically to the night practices.

You are correct. You only need tickets for night practices. Day practices are free. Please refer to this thread for all of the answers you seek:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/168940-training-camp-trip-where-to-eatdrinkstay/

No tix needed. Park at either pittsford Sutherland or pittsford mendon high school. Shuttle is 1$. No need to get to practice early, especially if you have a young one. For an afternoon practice they will be on the back grass fields. There is plenty of bleachers. Afternoon practice always less crowded than night practice. Autographs along the fence after practice.

Hello all.

Go Bills!!

I always park at Sutherland school... (May be spelled wrong, but it's close)

They shuttle you over to SJF. You can look on the bills site, soon they should announce a schedule for the kids autograph tent, 14 and under... If you son is older than 14 I highly recommend you steal

A couple kids to send through the line for you...

I always go to the far practice field and sit as low as possible and closes to the middle. As soon as practice concludes there is a long whistle.... Easily confused with other whistles, but should be able to find the scheduled practice time conclusion, and it will be very close to then... Once that happens, I go down the stairs in the middle of the grandstands, it's a dead end type of thing, but that's where the players pass through to return to the locker room... Often times players stop there for autographs, but don't expect all...

If practice starts at two, and your father has mobility issues, I would see what time shuttling starts and be there then, maybe around 1.

Best of luck and I hope this helped

No tix needed. Park at either pittsford Sutherland or pittsford mendon high school. Shuttle is 1$. No need to get to practice early, especially if you have a young one. For an afternoon practice they will be on the back grass fields. There is plenty of bleachers. Afternoon practice always less crowded than night practice. Autographs along the fence after practice.

Thank you much!! Good info. Is there a long distance to walk from where the shuttle drops you off to where the practice fields are?

I always park at Sutherland school... (May be spelled wrong, but it's close)

They shuttle you over to SJF. You can look on the bills site, soon they should announce a schedule for the kids autograph tent, 14 and under... If you son is older than 14 I highly recommend you steal

A couple kids to send through the line for you...

I always go to the far practice field and sit as low as possible and closes to the middle. As soon as practice concludes there is a long whistle.... Easily confused with other whistles, but should be able to find the scheduled practice time conclusion, and it will be very close to then... Once that happens, I go down the stairs in the middle of the grandstands, it's a dead end type of thing, but that's where the players pass through to return to the locker room... Often times players stop there for autographs, but don't expect all...

If practice starts at two, and your father has mobility issues, I would see what time shuttling starts and be there then, maybe around 1.

Best of luck and I hope this helped

Thanks Cletus!! Good advice there. My son is 4, so I plan on trying to get him some autographs. His favorite player is Fred Jackson, so I hope he will be signing. Will they allow me to join my son in the autograph tent, given that he is so young?

Thank you much!! Good info. Is there a long distance to walk from where the shuttle drops you off to where the practice fields are?

Thanks Cletus!! Good advice there. My son is 4, so I plan on trying to get him some autographs. His favorite player is Fred Jackson, so I hope he will be signing. Will they allow me to join my son in the autograph tent, given that he is so young?

They have in years past. But a lot of times it depends upon who is working security at the tent. I think officially the kid needs to be old enough to be in there on his/her own. But if you are polite and ask I suspect they won't give you a hard time.

If it is a very popular player like FredEx you will want to get there plenty early. The players are only in the tent a short time and if the line gets too long for a player they stop allowing people in it.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The walk is pretty significant. Definitely take the folding chair. I went for the first time last year for an afternoon practice. It was a great time.

Hopefully this works, but this is a rough "memory" of the walk we had to make. Dropped off at Red Star and walked that path to bleachers.

The walk is pretty significant. Definitely take the folding chair. I went for the first time last year for an afternoon practice. It was a great time.

Hopefully this works, but this is a rough "memory" of the walk we had to make. Dropped off at Red Star and walked that path to bleachers.

Thanks. Good illustration. Seems like a pretty long walk. It is difficult to judge from the pic. Approximately how far is the walk?

Its about 300 yds (3 football fields). But you really only walk it at the beginning and end..unless you need to use restrooms which are located half way down that path by the lower left side of the Main (lower left) football field.

Oh yeah..make sure you bring a few singles with you. They only take cash for the $1 per person round trip bus fee from the high school to college. I forgot and had to stop at an atm when I got there.

Its about 300 yds (3 football fields). But you really only walk it at the beginning and end..unless you need to use restrooms which are located half way down that path by the lower left side of the Main (lower left) football field.

Oh yeah..make sure you bring a few singles with you. They only take cash for the $1 per person round trip bus fee from the high school to college. I forgot and had to stop at an atm when I got there.

Kids under 12 ride free.

Thanks. That sounds workable.

The closer field, the football one, is where most of the activity is so you generally don't need to walk the full path of the red line in the picture.

One more thing, since you have a 4 year old, right along the red line in the picture about at the end zone of the football field, they have a play area for kids that has football themed games and bouncy house type of stuff for young kids. Kids love it :)

One caveat though, I believe they did a bunch of work there since last camp so the layout could be very different now.

The closer field, the football one, is where most of the activity is so you generally don't need to walk the full path of the red line in the picture.

One more thing, since you have a 4 year old, right along the red line in the picture about at the end zone of the football field, they have a play area for kids that has football themed games and bouncy house type of stuff for young kids. Kids love it :)

One caveat though, I believe they did a bunch of work there since last camp so the layout could be very different now.

Nice! My boy is so excited. I really hope he gets to meet FredEx (I wouldn't mind meeting him either...haha). Do they have souvenir stands?

Nice! My boy is so excited. I really hope he gets to meet FredEx (I wouldn't mind meeting him either...haha). Do they have souvenir stands?

No stands per se. But they force you to walk through a Bills Store to get from the bus drop off to fields :) There are food stands though where you can get water and pizza etc.

Hello all.

Go Bills!!

Edit: Mod's, I realize that there is another training camp "advice thread," but was hoping for some suggestions specific to my situation (i.e., Father's limited mobility).

Why would you bother?

Manuel is a bust.

Marrone and Hackett are in over their heads.

Pettine is gone Schwartz stinks.

Byrd is gone.

Kiko is out.

Chris Williams is a bum.

Watkins only catches screens.

No first round pick.

Spiller is a bust.

Team is moving.

Did I miss anything?

I've never been to a night practice,going the 25th,been to some afternoon ones where it was pretty crowded.Thought the reason they gave out tickets to the night practices was so it wouldn't be as crowded?

It is. It would be way overcrowded without tickets due to the people that can go after work.

Since they made the far field full length I haven't seem them use the first field for anything other than special teams... I guess they use it more for night practices, but I go for the morning/afternoon practices...

You're going to love it, I actually like training camp more than going to games. You'll be closer and you're with only serious sober fans. Bring a dollar a person for the shuttle.

Johnny H.

Boy oh boy.

Taking Pops and the Boy to a Bills practice . How awesome are you .

Very awesome .

I would carry your cape , but i am working that day .

:thumbsup:

Haha...thank you very much. My father had season tix for about 20 years before his health declined. He always, always brought me to the games even if he probably could have had more fun bringing one of his buddies. I figure it's the least I can do.

As far as my boy goes, he has no choice in the matter, he was born a Bills fan. lol.

7/21... Hmmm...

Speaking of carrying the cape... I may be able to go and meet up with you if you are interested....

Most definitely. PM me if you are there.

7/21... Hmmm...

Speaking of carrying the cape... I may be able to go and meet up with you if you are interested....

if your planning on going on the 21st. You can swing by my place on your way and pick me up. I'm off that day.

Already planned on going on the 20th for the night practice.

The list is posted now. EJ Manuel and Thad the Impaler in the autograph tent(s) today! :)

Though it looks like they have it setup different this year. Two tents with one player each instead of one tent with 4 players like previous years.

FredEx is signing tomorrow, 7/22!

post-11748-0-57941500-1405950820_thumb.jpg

Edited by CodeMonkey

What's your mailing address? Freddie autographed my daughters Play 60 shirt, I'm sure she would be more than happy to send it to him... Can even send a picture of him signing it...

What's your mailing address? Freddie autographed my daughters Play 60 shirt, I'm sure she would be more than happy to send it to him... Can even send a picture of him signing it...

Oh my goodness! That would be amazing, and my son would be absolutely stoked!! I will PM you my address. Please make sure it is okay with your daughter...haha. So very kind of you Cletus.

Oh my goodness! That would be amazing, and my son would be absolutely stoked!! I will PM you my address. Please make sure it is okay with your daughter...haha. So very kind of you Cletus.

Just asked her, she is more than fine with it... I will have her write a note and we will send it out shortly... I remember what it was like to be a round Bills fan... Hope he enjoys it!

Do they still practice outside if it's just rain and no thunder/lightning?

Thinking of coming out Monday but it's saying 60% rain. It's the only day that works for me this year but it's too far for me to drive if there is a chance practice will be inside and closed to public.