Training Camp Trip: Where to eat/drink/stay

I'd say that Monroe Ave. is more the Chippewa, no?

Either way, the Strath isn't that far from the stuff on Monroe Ave. either, and East Ave. downtown where Richmonds is.

LOL on the peeler bar.

BTW FluffHead, if no one has mentioned it, the High Falls is also a cool place. Last time I was down there there were a bunch of close eateries. The view of the falls is excellent and in the summers they used to have a laser show at dusk, not sure if they still do that.

I see Chip as a bunch of clubs, as is East and Alexander. That's why I made that comparison. Monroe Ave has a few pubs and sports bars. Not quite the same crowd as the club scene. You're right about the Strath being close to Monroe Ave. A $5 cab ride or 1.5 mile walk.

The Genesee Brew House is at High Falls.

Campi's is also great for a steak bomber. Massive sammich that is enough food for lunch and dinner.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very close to Pittsford Pub, on Monroe Avenue, is another pub called Thirsty's. It has absolutely no signage outside - it's just a door. Just to the right of it is a plate/hots/burgs joint aptly named "Hungry's". Both are worthwhile. If you like ice cream, Pittsford Dairy can't be beat. Often long lines though. Aladdin's in Schoen Place on the canal is very good too - got kind of a Mediterranean vibe to it.

Really, Richmonds for wings? I always found their wings to be average. Good food there otherwise though.

Interesting how people have different tastes. For example, I prefer Sticky Lips to Dinosaur.

Oh, and Rochester has a taste of Buffalo now as well ... Mighty Taco! :)

i also prefer Sticky Lipps. So much better than that over rated, over priced trash at Dino BBQ

Eating a Dogtown plate on lunch. Best plate in Downtown by far and I hit it up pretty regularly. Their dogs are also good (with about every topping imaginable). Dino is far and away better than Sticky Lips in my book. Been to Sticky Lips a few times and always have left disappointed. East/Alexander seems to me to be at least more of the club, college kid scene and the Monroe area seems to be the pub/small bar scene for the 25-25 something people for the most part although you get your share of youngins down there too. What exactly are you looking for? I probably have more ideas based on that.

The Sticky lips in the city is way better than the one on Jefferson ave.

Its jefferson road. But I have found the food to be pretty much the same at both places. But I don't get to the downtown one much any more.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Born and raised in Rochester, but moved to the West Coast in 1990. I still go back once or twice a year to visit family. Courtyard by Marriot in Penfield is a great choice. But, and I cannot stress this highly enough: COUNTRY SWEET CHICKEN AND RIBS. They used to have three locations, but they're now down to one, on Mt. Hope Ave in a rather sketchy part of town. But, man are they addictive!. Totally worth the risk of bodily injury, and gastrointestinal discomfort. Sometimes, when I land in Rochester, I stop by for a quick Wing and Mac Snack before I make it to my parents.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Born and raised in Rochester, but moved to the set Coast in 1990. I still go back once or twice a year to visit family. Courtyard by Marriot in Penfield is a great choice. But, and I cannot stress this highly enough: COUNTRY SWEET CHICKEN AND RIBS. They used to have three locations, but they're now down to one, on Mt. Hope Ave in a rather sketchy part of town. But, man are they addictive!. Totally worth the risk of bodily injury, and gastrointestinal discomfort. Sometimes, when I land in Rochester, I stop by for a quick Wing and Mac Snack before I make it to my parents.

The thing about Country sweet is if you have not had them you must. Nothing like them. But its not a destination to hang at really. And thats okay with them.

i suggest perusing Bushnells basin for lodging. Just off the thruway and a short hop to Pittsford .

Historical Canal history , very small but some upscale lodging and eateries near enough for convenience . but limited in scope .

Nick Tahous is a legend but not for me. Dinosaur has its act down and the restaurant gives a great perspective ( located on the river near the first falls on the Genesse river ) . Alladdins , simply crepes in Pittsford are fantastic

lotsa nooks and crannies . as have been mentioned. lot of natural beauty if one likes that stuff . Great history if you dig. Even Mt Hope Cemetary is a wildlife sanctuary and very historical nationally and a nice walk. Which would have you in walking distance from another wing joint The Distillery .

But go to Leos bakery in east rochester . If you like sweet baked goods and such .

Oh to die for.

underated legend really. and its nearly a stones throw from the School .

I myself have enjoyed everyones recommends .

Glad to hear them. i could go on an on about neat stuff but you folks only have so much time.

Sell me not short...I can really, really eat.

Then its Nicks garbage plate for you at about 2 am. You really dont know what you are getting but there is a lot of it .

There is another very cool small restaurant that you will wait outside . ( i wont any more ). Is James Browns . Not that James Brown, But they are the best breakfast brunch anywhere. And the man does stop in to talk to his customers. Has like 90 kinds of Benedict showed me the list after i asked > and you have to ask.

Just watching the cooks is a treat . In the evening they have BBQ that i have heard raves about .

record archive is a fun visit.

memorial art gallery has many more infamous paintings then i would have imagined. Rochester Museum and Science center is awesome for kids. Butterfly gallery looks cool even from the outside !

Geva theater. Eastman School of music has world famous and amazing student productions.

geez , i think i am gushing over here.

Did i talk about the lakes yeat ?

Great lakes ( Ontario ) and the many fantastic finger lakes ? The bazillion wine trails and tours ?

Or folks could just do TC. Thats very cool too.

Black and Blue is just up the road in Pittsford.

Haven't been back home in years, but the burger and dog joints there are great greasy spoons.

There are some on Monroe Ave, and Ridge Road, Lake Ave, and out on the lake by Long Pond and Latta Road. (Schaller's, Don & Bob's)

Smitty's used to be the best fried chicken with sauce going. It was copied by Country Sweet, and Sal's. They're all pretty good, but Smitty's (Snuffy's) was THE place... and funkier than Nick Tahoe's downtown every though of being. Thing was he moved every year or two... keeping ahead of the revenuers. :lol:

And while I'm going down memory lane, let me give a shout-out to Campy's. The "Home of the Bomber" where for a few bucks you could get a sandwich on a roll the size of a dinner plate with about two pounds of - name your favorite meat and cheese. Oh good lord, the hangovers that were buffered by a stop there! Portillo's in Chicago comes close to that atmosphere.

Then, the diners for after hours eats - like a hot sauce omelet at Tip Top Diner on Ridge Road or some red hots at Johnny's on Monroe Ave. Ah, the memories.

Probably many of these joints have closed. :lol:, but I've got memories of them all.

Check out whatever is happening on Alexander Avenue - that's "Restaurant Row" in Ra-cha-cha.

Then there's Earls (or there was Earl's) downtown. Nice chop house, and it's original location was about three doors down from where I grew up. But, rhetorically speaking - did I ever? But I digress.

Bottom line, "there's good groceries to be had" in the city and its suburbs. Google is your friend.

Cheers!

Born and raised in Rochester, but moved to the West Coast in 1990. I still go back once or twice a year to visit family. Courtyard by Marriot in Penfield is a great choice. But, and I cannot stress this highly enough: COUNTRY SWEET CHICKEN AND RIBS. They used to have three locations, but they're now down to one, on Mt. Hope Ave in a rather sketchy part of town. But, man are they addictive!. Totally worth the risk of bodily injury, and gastrointestinal discomfort. Sometimes, when I land in Rochester, I stop by for a quick Wing and Mac Snack before I make it to my parents.

Finally someone else agrees with me! Country Sweet, I have not had them since 1990 and I still remember it like yesterday.

Country Sweet wings stand up to any wings in the country including in Buffalo. Duffs my a**.

Finally someone else agrees with me! Country Sweet, I have not had them since 1990 and I still remember it like yesterday.

Country Sweet wings stand up to any wings in the country including in Buffalo. Duffs my a**.

I cried when they shut down their Monroe Ave location.

and the lake avenue one that i lived one block away , back in the day.

My youngest daughter is friends with the owner of the Last Country Sweet and friends with the folks at Dog town . good people. And i give them my occasional businees and recommend as i am able .

Nanker things have changed a bit, as things do. Black and Blue is just too upscale for us wing folks anyways : )

Edited by 3rdand12

The price points at the two restaurants are nearly identical.

no. They are nearly not identical. The price on ribs is more at Dinosaur BBQ. But that's besides the point that Dinosaur isn't good enough to be priced what they are. Sticky Lips is.

But again, your just arguing to argue with me. That's fine. I really don't value your opinion. I just hope the OP does an doesn't dissapoint himself with sub standard Dinosaur BBQ when he could have better priced and better quality food at Sticky Lips.

Check out Tom Wahl's and The Basin Pub in Pittsford/Busnell's Basin. As well as Abbott's Frozen Custard. Also check out Wegman's. Speaking of which, there is a higher-end restaurant across from the Pittsford store, which is owned by Wegman's, called "Next Door Bar and Grill." Lastly if you want a bit of history, go to Schoen Place and take a trip on the Sam Patch up the Erie Canal and through Lock 32.

I always expected them to break out and become at the least a regional chain, I can't understand what happened, how they actually LOST locations.