Open letter to NFL to keep the Bills in Buffalo

Were you aware that the Buffalo Fan Alliance posted an open letter on its website, seeking signatures to a letter urging the NFL to keep the Bills in Buffalo?

Most likely not - currently there's only fewer than 1,800 signatures. I wonder if the paltry number is due to poor marketing or because people fear being solicited by the BFA.

The open letter can be found at http://www.buffalofanalliance.org/.

I'll sign and I think it is a great grassroots movement. At the end of the day, I think the financial goals out of reach, but they could easily raise enough to buy out a box or boxes or a lot of club seats that they could then provide to disadvantaged youth etc. The more premium seats that are purchased, the more attractive it is for any new local owner.

I'll sign and I think it is a great grassroots movement. At the end of the day, I think the financial goals out of reach, but they could easily raise enough to buy out a box or boxes or a lot of club seats that they could then provide to disadvantaged youth etc. The more premium seats that are purchased, the more attractive it is for any new local owner.

good idea; unfortunately the NFL is not a grassroots movement, it is a big boy, big dollar business driven by television ad $$ and merchandise/game day revenue, all of which are very low in WNY. Hopefully, some WNY guy decides to blow his wealth on the franchise as a gift to his or her home in order to make sure it stays in WNY rather than to try and make money. If making money is the goal, the franchise will probably move, as the league and other owners will demand a new, unnecessary and unsupportable stadium in order to triple the ticket prices they share in.

Were you aware that the Buffalo Fan Alliance posted an open letter on its website, seeking signatures to a letter urging the NFL to keep the Bills in Buffalo?

Most likely not - currently there's only fewer than 1,800 signatures. I wonder if the paltry number is due to poor marketing or because people fear being solicited by the BFA.

The open letter can be found at http://www.buffalofanalliance.org/.

Or maybe it's because a lot of people realize that although it could be a nice "feel good" thing to do for some, it is really meaningless when it comes to the Bills staying in WNY or not.

good idea; unfortunately the NFL is not a grassroots movement, it is a big boy, big dollar business driven by television ad $$ and merchandise/game day revenue, all of which are very low in WNY. Hopefully, some WNY guy decides to blow his wealth on the franchise as a gift to his or her home in order to make sure it stays in WNY rather than to try and make money. If making money is the goal, the franchise will probably move, as the league and other owners will demand a new, unnecessary and unsupportable stadium in order to triple the ticket prices they share in.

The NFL also has valuations built on anti-trust exceptions so they need too keep politicians in their camp. I don't think the NFL wants to rock this boat through some sort of hasty move out of Buffalo. The lease issue aside as this is only a temporary hurdle the best chance that Buffalo has at retaining a team is strengthening the regional concept and building a new stadium in a location that reinforces this.

Or maybe it's because a lot of people realize that although it could be a nice "feel good" thing to do for some, it is really meaningless when it comes to the Bills staying in WNY or not.

Agree. I'm just surprised that an effort like this would be launched by the preeminent grassroots "Buffalo fan group" with little publicity and even less demonstrated support. Why the BFA wouldn't themselves solicit support from fan boards like this one is puzzling to me.

Anyway, if this thread punches up the numbers a bit then I've done my part.