Bills' Top Plays?

Stads

ESPN is having fans vote on the most memorable play in each team's history. The three they came up with for the Bills are a tad disconcerting. The first selection is wide right, which will be followed by the Music City Miracle and Beebe chasing down Leon Lett. It would have been nice if one of the plays was positive. What does everybody here think is the most memorable play in Bills' history?

http://espn.go.com/b...play-wide-right

Edited by Stads

Rodack . . .

The Bills scoring 3 TDs in a minute against the Broncos couldn't be a choice? No good events allowed.

Hey I was at that game! I remember it vividly.

What about 51-3 Raiders playoff game?

The greatest comeback, anyone?

The most memorable play is obviously wide right...although Terrence McGee's 1-yard-short-of-a-TD miraculous KO return at the end of the half in New Orleans a few years ago is easily the biggest microcosm play for this franchise.

As for most memorable positive play, Kelly's dive into the end zone on the final play against Miami in week 1 of the 1989 season is it for me, as that was kind of the tone-setting play for the next 6 years of Bills' dominance over the AFC.

Memorable doesn't mean positive. On that basis, I have to go with home run throw-up.

Funny how this works. If that idiot db just stays in his lane and forces a tackle on that kickoff, we'd be forever talking about "The Drive"--Jonathan Linton's gutsy twelve yard run, Rob Johnson to Peerless Price for two big completions to set up another Christie FG playoff win.

Funny how this works. If that idiot db just stays in his lane and forces a tackle on that kickoff, we'd be forever talking about "The Drive"--Jonathan Linton's gutsy twelve yard run, Rob Johnson to Peerless Price for two big completions to set up another Christie FG playoff win.

I honestly believe we were good enough to win the super bowl that year. We matched up against them quite well. Strong runners, tough OL and a great D

That is a bull **** list..but I guess we have had kind of a bull **** history! Shame on ESPN...surprised they didn't throw in Bruce's near safety of Randall Cunningham that turned into a 100 yard touchdown pass for the Eagles in 1990... or Ronnie Harmon's drop in the endzone in the 1989 playoff game....

Most memorable positive plays:

#1- Agree with Kirby Jackson, the Jeff Wright batted ball, landing in the arms of Carlton Bailey for the pick 6 has got to be #1! One of the most intense defensive games I have ever watched, from an X's & O's standpoint, with a Super Bowl on the line, and a field full of future HOFers....decided on one play, by two scrubs! Exhilarating!

#2- OJ goes for his 2003 yards against the Jets... if it was anybody but OJ, that would have been on ESPN's list.

#3- Bills end the Dolphins curse, opening day, the Bills score two TD's in the final three minutes to end the Dolphins 20 game winning streak over them. I guess there wasn't one specific play you can point to that encompassed the win...but the sight of Bills fans storming the field, and tearing down the goal-posts (something you only saw in college ball from time to time) is still etched in my brain...of course, I was there!

#4- The bandits aforementioned Jim Kelly lunge into the endzone, as the seconds ticked off the clock, to beat Miami on the road, to start the 1989 season for the "bickering Bills'! They suffered their ups and downs in that 1989 season, but it was the launching pad for some pretty great years afterward...

#5- I was never a Doug Flutie guy, but I think, post-Jim Kelly era, Fluties end-around td scramble, on a busted play, final seconds of the game for for the win, against the Jaguars was one of the single most exciting plays, post-Kelly era..give the little dude his props...mullet and all!

#6- Sam Adams rumbling for a touchdown, in a laugher, as the Bills destroy the Patriots in 2003.... a sign of things to come? Nah....but it was fun for a week! Cover of Sports Illustrated, during the final days when that still meant something!

Honorable mention:

1964 AFC Championship game...Mike Stratton levels (future Bills teammate) Keith Lincoln and the "hit heard round the world"! I would rank it higher, maybe even #1, but it happened about 3 months before I was born. It may be the most storied and legendary play in team history...the fact that almost all of us know what it is, just by its' nickname ("hit heard round the world") speaks volumes. The Chargers, at home, were having their way with the Bills, who were lackluster and flat... as legend has it, Stratton leveled Lincoln, turned his lights off, and, at the same time, flicked the lights on for the Bills, as they dominated after that...and won their first franchise championship....

Edited by Buftex

That is a bull **** list..but I guess we have had kind of a bull **** history! Shame on ESPN...surprised they didn't throw in Bruce's near safety of Randall Cunningham that turned into a 100 yard touchdown pass for the Eagles in 1990... or Ronnie Harmon's drop in the endzone in the 1989 playoff game....

The football purist in me must respond to pick a nit: you cannot have a 100 yard play from scrimmage in football. Longest it can be is 99 yards.

Apologies.

GO BILLS!!!

<p>Ok...but in my mind at least, how can you have a return longer than the field of play...if a guy catches a kickoff 4 yards deep in his own endzone, isn't the defacto line of scrimmage his own goal line?<br />

<br>

Edited by Buftex

Wide right shouldn't be a top play for any team... Most memorable, maybe...

Beebe could be considered a top play based in his "never give up" attitude- but a too play in a 52-17 blow out???

The music city (illegal forward pass) miracle should be a too play for the titans, not the bills...

Wide right shouldn't be a top play for any team... Most memorable, maybe...

Beebe could be considered a top play based in his "never give up" attitude- but a too play in a 52-17 blow out???

The music city (illegal forward pass) miracle should be a too play for the titans, not the bills...

Yes.,, Bills top play shoule be the "hit heard arond the world", or Carlton Baileys' pick-6 to win the 1991 AFC Championship game against the Broncos...

Great choices, Buftex! Certainly all contributed heavily in playoff games and all were positive plays for the Bills.

Honorable mentions, IMO, would be Butch Byrd's punt return TD @ SD in the '65 Title Game; Tasker 'stealing' the Raider KO at the 50 yrd line and returning it to the 1, which sprung us to a frozen Come From Behind win in '93 Div Rd.; Roland Hooks dual final plays to steal a win vs Pats* '78(?) and the 77 Second Miracle vs Denver in '90. -I know, it wasn't just one play. But it was 3 TD's in 5 plays just after the Broncos were about to ice the game 24-9.

To the topic, I'm disgusted that KILLER plays are what they decided to 'give us'! BASTARDS!