How to stay healthy

Vetriano

For the last two years I have been a pillar of health- I had given all the credit to the two glasses of Red Wine I would have. For the last week and a couple of days I've been under the weather. I think its because I have been trying to eat healthy (you know not too much with the Cholesterol foods (ie Milk, cheese, meat etc)- that coupled with the fact I was working out a lot left it possible to get sick (that and it is winter).

So this is my new plan

1) red wine

2) red meat and greens (I think Iron is key)

3) exercise when the energy is back

What does the board recommend and practice??

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole key is burn more calories than you take in. I have been running for about the last three years now. When I started I weighed around 245lbs. Now I'm down to 193lbs. IMHO there is no magic diet. You have to eat well, and get exercise. It is a pretty simple formula.

Too much Iron is not good for men. Any good multi vitamin will have a mens formula without Iron. If we really wanted to go on we could discuss refined sugars, flours, good fats, bad fats, organic foods, etc.

For the last two years I have been a pillar of health- I had given all the credit to the two glasses of Red Wine I would have.  For the last week and a couple of days I've been under the weather. I think its because I have been trying to eat healthy (you know not too much with the Cholesterol foods (ie Milk, cheese, meat etc)- that coupled with the fact I was working out a lot left it possible to get sick (that and it is winter).

So this is my new plan

1) red wine

2) red meat and greens (I think Iron is key)

3) exercise when the energy is back

What does the board recommend and practice??

217591[/snapback]

The whole key is burn more calories than you take in. I have been running for about the last three years now. When I started I weighed around 245lbs. Now I'm down to 193lbs. IMHO there is no magic diet. You have to eat well, and get exercise. It is a pretty simple formula.

217613[/snapback]

Agreed. Also, for working out, remember not to overdo it. When your tired, stop because anything you do after that will be pretty much worthless and you'll risk injury. Also, switch up your exercises every few months. Your body becomes stale with the same workout, so keep switching it.

Exercise Daily

Strength train

20 minutes cardio 4 days a week

red wine

garlic

Omega 3!

-found abundently in cage free eggs, flax oil, walnuts, cold water fish, smart balance light

Olive Oil

lots of fruits and veggies. Lots! Like 10 servings a day

Nuts

Milk

whole grains

limit white flour and table sugar

avoid hydrogenated fats

green tea

daily vitamin

reduce stress

-meditate-yoga and pilates great for this

do good deeds

read- I subscribe to "sound mind, sound body"

stretch

blueberrys

yogurt

fiber

oatmeal

avoid pesticides and preservatives

eat natural

Always eat nuts or roasted almonds and dark chocolate as snacks. Mix in some fruit as well. Above all, don't obsess with anything more than that because most of your health is connected to your gene pool anyway.

My dad drank tons of red wine his whole life and still had a heart attack at 60. He's lucky to be alive. I'm in shape and eat ok but I'm sure I will have a heart attack someday or something close to it. Everything checks out fine but it did for my dad as well.

My Blog Entry on the Subject

217782[/snapback]

Good read James. I'm built like you, so weight loss is certainly never the problem.

But it's so hard to maintain the right diet when the available options are so bad for you. Even in the grocery store, everything is processed, sodium levels are through the roof, etc. Unless you have time to prepare a healthy meal (which happens once at day at best for me), it's tough to eat right.

Exercise Daily

Strength train

20 minutes cardio 4 days a week

red wine

garlic

Omega 3!

-found abundently in cage free eggs, flax oil, walnuts, cold water fish, smart balance light

Olive Oil

lots of fruits and veggies.  Lots!  Like 10 servings a day

Nuts

Milk

whole grains

limit white flour and table sugar

avoid hydrogenated fats

green tea

daily vitamin

reduce stress

-meditate-yoga and pilates great for this

do good deeds

read- I subscribe to "sound mind, sound body"

stretch

blueberrys

yogurt

fiber

oatmeal

avoid pesticides and preservatives

eat natural

217655[/snapback]

I agree with everything above except for milk and yogurt. You don't need that puss in your body. Take that poison off the list and I'm 100% in agreement with you.

I agree with everything above except for milk and yogurt.  You don't need that puss in your body.  Take that poison off the list and I'm 100% in agreement with you.

218087[/snapback]

hah, and I thought I was the only anti-milk nut out there!

http://www.NOTmilk.com

http://www.notmilk.com/pusmilk.html

Ok, here's my .02.

Yes, you may be sick because you've started to eat healthier. But you should look at being sick as a good thing. Your body is detoxing, and what you're feeling may be equivalent to withdrawl symptoms.

I would shy away from red meat. Since I stopped eating red meat, my heartburn disappeared. Like magic. Ok, once in a while I may have a steak, but that's like once every 2 or 3 months.

ALso, eat organic foods as much as possible.

Personally, I just got done fasting for three days. And I feel freakin' great. More energy in the morning. Yes, I live in California but I'm a right-winger--so this just isn't some lefty garbage (for those who think eating healthy is).

I would recommend a book to everyone entitled "Tired of Being Tired." There is a lot of great information in there. And if people are interested in fasting (wasn't painful at all) try the Master Cleanse. You can do a Google search to find it. I thought the fast may be uncomfortable, but it wasn't. If you're committed, it's pretty darn cool.

Any questions, feel free to e-mail me. edeleo@hotmail.com