It's on like a mofo: NBA edition...Lebron opts out of Miami

Buftex

My prediction is still Lebron stays with the Heat, gets max-ish contract. Bosh stays, takes a little pay cut. Wade stays, takes a huge pay cut.

Melo stays in NYC for big money, or goes to Chicago for championship aspirations. LA doesn't truly offer him anything.

And I was so wrong. :D

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That bigger dude on ESPN who's name is escaping me, but he's a LeBron "expert" and he is doing things right. He isn't reporting anything that he is not 100% positive is accurate. He stated last night that he knows what this means to the city of Cleveland and he would rather be the 70th person to hit on the story knowing that it is completely accurate than one of the first to break it and be wrong and tear the hearts out of the sports aspect of that city again. Perhaps worse than the last time.

His name is Brian Windhorst(sp) and i saw him in a panel like discussion with 2 Sportcenters anchors, Broussard and Stein.

It was so funny, as Broussard and Stein both speculated on where he would end up, and Windhorst would not. Broussard gave him some chit, saying it is just a guess...and he shot back with something like "i am not that kind of journalist, i will not speculate based on not so great sources", just calling Broussard out. .. Thought Broussard was gunna punnch him right there and then...and was freaking hilarious

I am still lost on how this all went down.

One would think he knew he was going back to Cleveland before he opted out, but yet he still had Bosh and Wade opt out of pretty big guaranteed contracts. In Wades case, no way he gets close to the per year number. Riles must have promised Wade 4 years $60M in order to get him to opt out in a last ditch effort to keep LeBron.

BTW, I am shocked Bosh is getting a max contract, thought n0 way he would get close the the $20M he was guaranteed.

His essay was brilliant. He handled this so well.

Agreed. I've gained a new respect for him.

"My emotions were more mixed. It was easy to say, “OK, I don’t want to deal with these people ever again.” But then you think about the other side. What if I were a kid who looked up to an athlete, and that athlete made me want to do better in my own life, and then he left? How would I react? I’ve met with Dan, face-to-face, man-to-man. We’ve talked it out. Everybody makes mistakes. I’ve made mistakes as well. Who am I to hold a grudge"

It's refreshing for an athlete, especially a superstar to reveal that point of view. It's a grow ups way of thinking, mature. All this "I wouldn't go back because of Gilbert's letter" is a bunch of male bravado BS. Good to see someone of Lebrons caliber rise above that.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

Too bad we'll never get something like this from Kane.

I am still lost on how this all went down.

One would think he knew he was going back to Cleveland before he opted out, but yet he still had Bosh and Wade opt out of pretty big guaranteed contracts. In Wades case, no way he gets close to the per year number. Riles must have promised Wade 4 years $60M in order to get him to opt out in a last ditch effort to keep LeBron.

BTW, I am shocked Bosh is getting a max contract, thought n0 way he would get close the the $20M he was guaranteed.

I'm not shocked at all. Bosh will go to Houston for max money, and Wade realizes they need room to bring in more guys to compete (either with or without LeBron). There are plenty of FAs still out there that can make this a playoff team still. Maybe even Bosh at max.

I'm not shocked at all. Bosh will go to Houston for max money, and Wade realizes they need room to bring in more guys to compete (either with or without LeBron). There are plenty of FAs still out there that can make this a playoff team still. Maybe even Bosh at max.

that team is dead if Bosh leaves no? I am by no means an expert on the NBA, but Wade cant play even 50 games, and what FA is going to want to go there this year? I did hear something yesterday that next's years FA class is strong...so maybe they tank and load again next year like they did in 2010???

"My emotions were more mixed. It was easy to say, "OK, I don't want to deal with these people ever again." But then you think about the other side. What if I were a kid who looked up to an athlete, and that athlete made me want to do better in my own life, and then he left? How would I react? I've met with Dan, face-to-face, man-to-man. We've talked it out. Everybody makes mistakes. I've made mistakes as well. Who am I to hold a grudge"

It's refreshing for an athlete, especially a superstar to reveal that point of view. It's a grow ups way of thinking, mature. All this "I wouldn't go back because of Gilbert's letter" is a bunch of male bravado BS. Good to see someone of Lebrons caliber rise above that.

Agreed.

In a single, geuine (or genuinely sounding) letter, he did the following:

1) Admitted his prior wrong--The Decision

2) Took the higher ground and mended fences with Gilbert and the city, even admitting that he too might have the same reaction

3) Defended--in a very sensible way--his decision to go to Miami (e.g., "it was like college"-- which I found to be really persuasive)

4) Tempered expectations-- i.e., Cleveland is a young team and it will take time

5) Left Miami on a positive note, by thanking everyone there.

This storyline is unreal. LeBron instantly went from villain to hero--superhero really. If he wins a title in Cleveland, this will be absolutely epic-- as in the greates sports storyline ever.

They have so much cash available that they have a ton of options in MIami now. They can go after Carmelo, Stephenson, Pau, Monroe, Bosh. Plus, Love could be available for trade or FA after next season as well as Rondo and Brook Lopez to name a few. Riley is still running things, and he gets RESPECT in basketball circles because players know he wins championships and that's what matters. Wade is a leadership, recruiting piece more than an effective star on the floor anymore.

Edited by Mark80

They can go after Carmelo, Stephenson, Pau, Monroe, Bosh. Plus, Love could be available for trade or FA after next season. Riley is still running things, and he gets RESPECT in basketball circles because players know he wins championships and that's what matters. Wade is a leadership, recruiting piece more than an effective star on the floor anymore.

I just cant see any of those guys going there....but again i do not follow this as close the hockey or football.

I must be the only guy in the world who has lost a little respect for Lebron in this....but that is based on what i think happened , as i have NO idea how it really played out.

BTW, you think Sully or Bucky are negative Nancies...read this Livingston piece

http://www.cleveland...ncart_big-photo

Edited by plenzmd1

No there aren't, Mello won't go there without Lebron and Lance isn't good enough to carry a weak team. This cripples Miami. Even in the weak east, they're a 7 seed at best, most likely sitting out of the playoffs next year. Wade's toast and Bosch is going to Houston.

If you don't think Riley has a plan B then I think you are sorely mistaken. The guy is one of, if not the best executive in the league right now. He isn't going to just tuck tail and throw the season away. I suspect he'll do something meaningful and they will be a playoff caliber team next year in the East. A title contender, no. IMO.

Edited by Mark80

Wow.

I never thought one essay could completely change my opinion about a player.

I used to root against the Heat because I didnt want LJ to win a title.

After reading that essay I wish him nothing but the best and will be rooting for the Cavs

Who wants to guess that his return video to the Cavs will have that slow song "I'm comming home" playing in the background.

CBF

If you don't think Riley has a plan B then I think you are sorely mistaken. The guy is one of, if not the best executive in the league right now. He isn't going to just tuck tail and throw the season away. I suspect he'll do something meaningful and they will be a playoff caliber team next year in the East. A title contender, no. IMO.

He may have a plan, but with current trend of players dictating where they will play and who they will play with his ability to execute that plan is limited.

"My emotions were more mixed. It was easy to say, "OK, I don't want to deal with these people ever again." But then you think about the other side. What if I were a kid who looked up to an athlete, and that athlete made me want to do better in my own life, and then he left? How would I react? I've met with Dan, face-to-face, man-to-man. We've talked it out. Everybody makes mistakes. I've made mistakes as well. Who am I to hold a grudge"

Totally agree. Over the last few years I have really gained respect for Lebron & I thought he was going to go back to Cleveland. it was the right thing to do. Vegas just posted Cleveland 3-1 odds to win the championship next year. Miami is 100-1.

I love Riles but look at who's left in Free Agency and on Miami's roster and tell me where you see a plan B. Wade is going to get paid, they don't have a ton of room left because of the (stupid) deal they gave McRoberts. If they bring back Chalmers (which they should), that would leave even less room. They had no depth when they had Lebron, they'll have less now with Ray Allen, Bird Man etc all departing.

I wonder if Wiggins will stay in Cleveland now

CBF

Not a chance. He's trade bait.

Agreed.

In a single, geuine (or genuinely sounding) letter, he did the following:

1) Admitted his prior wrong--The Decision

2) Took the higher ground and mended fences with Gilbert and the city, even admitting that he too might have the same reaction

3) Defended--in a very sensible way--his decision to go to Miami (e.g., "it was like college"-- which I found to be really persuasive)

4) Tempered expectations-- i.e., Cleveland is a young team and it will take time

5) Left Miami on a positive note, by thanking everyone there.

This storyline is unreal. LeBron instantly went from villain to hero--superhero really. If he wins a title in Cleveland, this will be absolutely epic-- as in the greates sports storyline ever.

I agree 100%. The whole thing is perfect!