Information on Raleigh/Durham area

shrader

I'm flying into Raleigh/Durham tomorrow to meet with some people at Duke. I already have a very impressive job offer from them without even having visited the area or meeting people face to face. So I will be quickly trying to get a feel for the area over the course of this week (leaving on Saturday), meeting with people at Duke and looking for places to live. I've gotten a fair share of information from a few people, but I figured I'd ask around here too as you can never hear too much.

Right now I'll be focusing on Wake county for potential places to live. My wife is a teacher and it sounds like she could find a decent job there. If anyone has any suggestions on places I should keep my eyes open for, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

Hopefully Boyst or one of the other NC residents sees this and gives you some solid info.

I've been in and out of the area on business over the years and it is very scenic and has decent BBQ. Beyond that I can't offer much.

I'm a teacher in Fayetteville, which is about a 75 minute drive south from rdu. Party at buffalo brothers on capitol blvd!!!! I'll send you a pm later about the teacher situation. I love this area of the country. Lots of buffalo transplants here. Besides the heat, it's like being home.

I haven't lived in RTP since 2000.

Cary Containment Area for Relocated Yankees wasn't too bad, that or Apex, just to the south and west.

The local's hate (dislike) Yankees, maybe that changed in a decade.

Young people live in the downtown region, maybe because of the college atmosphere.

you had to have a club membership to go to bars ....

FWIW, I have known a lot of teachers that have moved to NC specifically for the teaching jobs-- seems like they are plentiful.

By the way, would your kids (assuming you have any) get free tuition if they went to duke? That would be a sweet deal.

We are at least 18 years away from that. It's definitely something I'd keep in mind if I stick around the place that long.

I'm a teacher in Fayetteville, which is about a 75 minute drive south from rdu. Party at buffalo brothers on capitol blvd!!!! I'll send you a pm later about the teacher situation. I love this area of the country. Lots of buffalo transplants here. Besides the heat, it's like being home.

I was looking to move down there last year but I was told it was not great for educators. What are your thoughts?

We live in the Richmond area, but do go to Raleigh for Sabres games. Don't get drawn into any of the "Y'all a yankee?" crap. If someone asks me if I'm a Yankee I tell them, No, I'm a BILLS Fan. That usually shuts them up because they essentially don't know what to say!

There are a LOT of WNY'ers in the Raleigh area.

Cary NC is a good place to start. Apex is OK too, maybe a little less expensive than Cary. There's a great Sports Bar across from the Stadium called the Backyard Bistro. It's owned by a guy from the Syracuse area. Good food there, and you can park to go to the Sabres Games, just across the street..

Good luck on the move. I've moved all over the USA, and it can be stressful. Get a few realtor recommendations and you'll be fine!

I was looking to move down there last year but I was told it was not great for educators. What are your thoughts?

Our pay is not great, job security is not wonderful for brand new teachers, and the rigors of the job are not for everyone. However, I love it here. I've been with my system for 10 years in various capacities and while the pay is not as wonderful as I'd wish, its a rewarding field and I'd do it all over again if given the choice. The current education system is in a but of an upheaval, but we are apparently going to get some form of raise with the new 2014-2015 budget.

Lived in Raleigh for 8 years. Saw a lot of changes in that time. I have not lived there in 10 years (man, where does the time go), but if you are working at Duke you definitely will want to be on the west or north side of Raleigh. The traffic slog from Raleigh through RTP to Duke will make you think twice.

Meh. I have a few minutes for lunch and the main board has crap.

Try the Southern end of the RDU. Its growing well, even towards further places like Sanford. North toward Wake Forrest is very nice. The area does not seem like the South.

Toward the west Burlington is growing more then most cities similar. The entire I85 corridor is doing quite well.

Inside Raleigh I do not know much of anything. I've caught a few theatre acts and sports events.

Wife's mom and step dad live in Apex. It is very nice there. Lots of parks and spacious sidewalk areas for biking and jogging, very clean.

I could totally move there from Atlanta. It is a lot less hustle and bustle, and the people are more consistent and nicer, and I would be ridiculously less likely to be shot or stabbed too.

Our pay is not great, job security is not wonderful for brand new teachers, and the rigors of the job are not for everyone. However, I love it here. I've been with my system for 10 years in various capacities and while the pay is not as wonderful as I'd wish, its a rewarding field and I'd do it all over again if given the choice. The current education system is in a but of an upheaval, but we are apparently going to get some form of raise with the new 2014-2015 budget.

My offer is for $17k more than I currently make in Boston, so fortunately the salary she would make down there isn't make or break for the move. It will be more for her sanity than anything.

there are a ton of bad systems in this state and not by any fault of their own. Sure the counties don't do them any favors but the state has screwed over public education for 50 years. The only educational system reaping a benefit is the community college system which is raping the residents which promise higher incomes and always fail to deliver.

Luckily, though, the area has better schools. Burlington city and Alamance County are not top tier. Alamance borders Orange County, which is Durham which is Duke which is Coach K.

Grade School

not Colleges.

Grade school my wife had a fit when my daughter started saying MonDEE, TuesDEE WendsdEE. etc

she asked the teacher to please pronounce the days correctly when teaching our kids.

a child with a learning disability ohhh where to start.

A) place them in a room with very low functioning children

B) Find a way to "teach" them (basically bully them /punish them and not educate them in a way they can learn)

Finding a job in the NC public schools is a nightmare, and if you do happen to find a job, you live in constant fear of being RIF'd. Salaries have not increased in years, benefits have declined, and those class sizes keep climbing.

North Carolina...1st in flight, 49th in education.

Finding a job in the NC public schools is a nightmare, and if you do happen to find a job, you live in constant fear of being RIF'd. Salaries have not increased in years, benefits have declined, and those class sizes keep climbing.

North Carolina...1st in flight, 49th in education.

i've read that they have more than a few teaching openings right about now but for all the wrong reasons http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/06/14/4975947/nc-teacher-exodus-is-also-about.html. this stuff isn't happening by accident anfd is likely to get worse before it gets better.

i've read that they have more than a few teaching openings right about now but for all the wrong reasons http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/06/14/4975947/nc-teacher-exodus-is-also-about.html. this stuff isn't happening by accident anfd is likely to get worse before it gets better.

I worked for Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools for 4 years before my position was RIF'd. It sucked at the time, but I quickly landed on my feet. I still keep in contact with some of my work friends, and things have gotten so bad, many have left the profession all together. No one has received a pay increase since the 09-10 school year. Like I mentioned, benefits have been trimmed just about every year and healthcare costs have gone up (less and less employer contribution). Things have gotten really ugly there, and I imagine it is a similar situation all across the state.

Great place to live and raise a family IMO, but not the place to begin (or continue) your career as an educator.

Just saw this thread. Can't offer any advice on the teaching jobs, but for my money I prefer Durham over Raleigh. We live in SW Durham (bordering Chapel Hill) and the area has everything we need. I rarely go to Raleigh because I don't need to. Durham has blown up (in a good way).

If you see this and want to PM me for any further details, feel free.