Information on Raleigh/Durham area

shrader

Just saw this thread. Can't offer any advice on the teaching jobs, but for my money I prefer Durham over Raleigh. We live in SW Durham (bordering Chapel Hill) and the area has everything we need. I rarely go to Raleigh because I don't need to. Durham has blown up (in a good way).

If you see this and want to PM me for any further details, feel free.

Thanks for finally seeing this, I was about to PM ya to check in here!

I worked for Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools for 4 years before my position was RIF'd. It sucked at the time, but I quickly landed on my feet. I still keep in contact with some of my work friends, and things have gotten so bad, many have left the profession all together. No one has received a pay increase since the 09-10 school year. Like I mentioned, benefits have been trimmed just about every year and healthcare costs have gone up (less and less employer contribution). Things have gotten really ugly there, and I imagine it is a similar situation all across the state.

Great place to live and raise a family IMO, but not the place to begin (or continue) your career as an educator.

I've dated teachers from Gaston Co., Cabarrus Co., Davidson Co., Rowan., Co., and Watuga Co.. All but one of them had a 2nd job; and, well, she was married.

Either way, those are more rural counties then Wake and Orange. Both of those counties are much better funded then this area. Raleigh and Charlotte do not fit in with the NC demographic as they are such outliers on any scale.

As an educator, OP, I would definitely look to go to the private sector. You will likely be earning some bread and this will allow her a little more comfort in her position. A public employee gets state benies. Those are only attained after 30-35 years ( I forget how long for NC) and I do not know how old ya'll are, but keep that in mind.

i've read that they have more than a few teaching openings right about now but for all the wrong reasons http://www.charlotte...also-about.html. this stuff isn't happening by accident anfd is likely to get worse before it gets better.

Yeah, because a letter from the Superintendent of Union County Public Schools is going to really paint an accurate picture. Please, do not make this political, because it doesn't need to go there. NC Schools are dreadful and it has nothing to do with the teachers working very hard to educate their students in overcrowded, underfunded and dilapidated schools.

If you want to get political, we can, bring back up your awesome thread in PPP where I took you to school on the short bus. :nana:

Yeah, because a letter from the Superintendent of Union County Public Schools is going to really paint an accurate picture. Please, do not make this political, because it doesn't need to go there. NC Schools are dreadful and it has nothing to do with the teachers working very hard to educate their students in overcrowded, underfunded and dilapidated schools.

If you want to get political, we can, bring back up your awesome thread in PPP where I took you to school on the short bus. :nana:

how is it ok with you for hammersticks to say the same thing but intolerable from me? it's appropriate from either. this isn't political. it's fact. http://www.wral.com/-alarming-wake-teacher-turnover-numbers-to-be-released-thursday/13576437/ teachers are leaving nc in droves and for good reasons. salaries are some of the lowest in the country, no extra pay for advanced degrees, little job security and there are absolutely no indications of that changing soon. i think that's some important info for anybody considering a move there with aspiration of being an educator.

but yeah, we can discuss that mythic victory of yours over at ppp.

Edited by birdog1960

Finding a job in the NC public schools is a nightmare, and if you do happen to find a job, you live in constant fear of being RIF'd. Salaries have not increased in years, benefits have declined, and those class sizes keep climbing.

North Carolina...1st in flight, 49th in education.

Spot on...I've lived down in NC for over a decade. My wife taught down here for 10 years. With her masters and national boards she was barely making what she made 5 years ago. VERY demanding job....NC has no clue what their doing. No unions and the state takes full advantage of it.

Have lived in Cary for 22 years and have loved it. Have seen the area grow from originally having to go 5 miles to get to a grocery store from my house to now having over 7 within a 3 mile radius from my house. Originally moved there in part due to proxiity and ease to get into RTP where we work, along with it being a nice upscale town with new development (which has continued to grow and grow). Places like Apex and pts further south are less congested and more affordable - although they are growing like crazy too.

People who try to label this area as backwards and deep south (usually bitter Sabres fans) have no idea that they are talking about. I probably can go weeks at a time without hearing a single person with a southern accent. The far majority of people I work with, live with, see out and about, kids friends at school etc. are not from the South. The area has the highest per capita PHD's in the country and 10s (100s) of thousands of highly educated high tech and professional workers.

When I first moved here, Wake county school district was rated in the top 5 in the nation. The explosive growth of the region since then has really challenged the system. They couldn't build schools fast enough to keep up with the population growth, so there was a lot of constant re-districting and annual battles and wailing/gnashing from parents. I think that has settled down some now (my kids are in HS now so I don't have to pay attention to that anymore). The (public) high school my kids go to is extremely competitive (a lot of very motivated kids from all those highly educated parents). It was ranked the number one high school in NC this year, and has won the award for school with best athletic program 5 years running (based on a point system given for winning state championships and how far teams place in playoffs). I have to laugh - at my high school (Lancaster) I think they would have had a parade if we ever won a single state championship when I was there, here my kid's school wins 2-4 state championships per year and it seems like people hardly even take notice.

Not sure about opportunities for teachers themselves, would think it would be very easy for your wife to get information on salaries, benefits, stability etc.

If you are staying in Durham you should definitely check out a Bulls game - they are in town the rest of this week. One of my favorite things to do in the summer. The stadium is beautiful, and the whole area around it is an old Tobacco factory which was redeveloped with restaurants/retail/business. They really did a nice job. Get to the game a couple hours early - park in the parking ramp next to the stadium, and eat at one of the places outside (there's also some restaurants along the outfield where you can eat overlooking the ball park). Also consider taking the short drive down to Chapel Hill. UNC is a gorgeous campus and you can check out the places on Franklin Street. Raleigh is a great small city - you can go downtown and feel safe and there is usually stuff going on. It's pretty easy to navigate - if you park for example at Moore Square parking ramp you can check out the City Market section of the city and also walk down Fayettville St which will give you a good feel for downtown. Just a few minutes down Hillsborough is NC State if you want to check out that.

The beach is just a couple hours down 40 (which we take great advantage of in the summer), and the mountains a few hours the other way. There are a number of large lakes in the area and further up towards Va which are very nice and very popular. My wife and I have never regretted moving here, and have no plans to leave.

If you are staying in Durham you should definitely check out a Bulls game - they are in town the rest of this week. One of my favorite things to do in the summer. The stadium is beautiful, and the whole area around it is an old Tobacco factory which was redeveloped with restaurants/retail/business. They really did a nice job. Get to the game a couple hours early - park in the parking ramp next to the stadium, and eat at one of the places outside (there's also some restaurants along the outfield where you can eat overlooking the ball park). Also consider taking the short drive down to Chapel Hill. UNC is a gorgeous campus and you can check out the places on Franklin Street. Raleigh is a great small city - you can go downtown and feel safe and there is usually stuff going on. It's pretty easy to navigate - if you park for example at Moore Square parking ramp you can check out the City Market section of the city and also walk down Fayettville St which will give you a good feel for downtown. Just a few minutes down Hillsborough is NC State if you want to check out that.

I'll be at the game tonight. It's "Bark in the Park" night and we're bringing our dog. My office is right next door, by the way.

I'll be at the game tonight. It's "Bark in the Park" night and we're bringing our dog. My office is right next door, by the way.

I''ll be there too :)

Have lived in Cary for 22 years and have loved it. Have seen the area grow from originally having to go 5 miles to get to a grocery store from my house to now having over 7 within a 3 mile radius from my house. Originally moved there in part due to proxiity and ease to get into RTP where we work, along with it being a nice upscale town with new development (which has continued to grow and grow). Places like Apex and pts further south are less congested and more affordable - although they are growing like crazy too.

People who try to label this area as backwards and deep south (usually bitter Sabres fans) have no idea that they are talking about. I probably can go weeks at a time without hearing a single person with a southern accent. The far majority of people I work with, live with, see out and about, kids friends at school etc. are not from the South. The area has the highest per capita PHD's in the country and 10s (100s) of thousands of highly educated high tech and professional workers.

When I first moved here, Wake county school district was rated in the top 5 in the nation. The explosive growth of the region since then has really challenged the system. They couldn't build schools fast enough to keep up with the population growth, so there was a lot of constant re-districting and annual battles and wailing/gnashing from parents. I think that has settled down some now (my kids are in HS now so I don't have to pay attention to that anymore). The (public) high school my kids go to is extremely competitive (a lot of very motivated kids from all those highly educated parents). It was ranked the number one high school in NC this year, and has won the award for school with best athletic program 5 years running (based on a point system given for winning state championships and how far teams place in playoffs). I have to laugh - at my high school (Lancaster) I think they would have had a parade if we ever won a single state championship when I was there, here my kid's school wins 2-4 state championships per year and it seems like people hardly even take notice.

Not sure about opportunities for teachers themselves, would think it would be very easy for your wife to get information on salaries, benefits, stability etc.

The beach is just a couple hours down 40 (which we take great advantage of in the summer), and the mountains a few hours the other way. There are a number of large lakes in the area and further up towards Va which are very nice and very popular. My wife and I have never regretted moving here, and have no plans to leave.

I''ll be there too :)

i was going to say maybe if anyone is real nice to Eball there could be a payoff for a Bulls game. Not sure he has the pull, but hey... It wouldn't hurt just being nice to the guy anyway.

We've lived in Cary 9 years now and love it. The area is booming...Wake County is growing at a rate of 60 people per day. As with a couple other posts, I'd recommend Apex and Holly Spings as well. Whatever you're looking for, this area has something to offer. Growth has affected the school system and they are building to address the new students. Teacher pay has been neglected in the state for years, but the current administration is addressing it, but will be gradual. Wake County does supplement state teacher pay at the highest rate in the state. If you ever have any questions, pop me a message any time.

Took some of my staff on a walking "tasting tour" of Durham on Friday afternoon. I thought I knew Durham pretty well and we still hit several places I wasn't aware of. The downtown area has really become awesome.