Marshawn considering retirement?

Following news that he now plans to skip mandatory Seahawks minicamp, after not attending OTAs, because he wants more money....

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 48m

Marshawn Lynch told 2 teammates last year he might retire if Seattle won the Super Bowl. They did. Asked a source, could he walk? “He could”

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 43m

#Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch has saved his money earned in @NFL. His retirement thought is real. “I could see him walking away,” source says.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following news that he now plans to skip mandatory Seahawks minicamp, after not attending OTAs, because he wants more money....

Marshawn Lynch told 2 teammates last year he might retire if Seattle won the Super Bowl. They did. Asked a source, could he walk? “He could”

#Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch has saved his money earned in @NFL. His retirement thought is real. “I could see him walking away,” source says.

It's so easy to save money when you bring your own Hennessy to the bar.

Robert Smith. Jim Brown. Barry Sanders. Sandy Koufax.

That's about the total number of players who actually retired right in their prime because they opted to rather than were on their way out. So in about 50-60 years there were maybe 4-5. You could argue a few more who were still good, like Elway, or Steffi Graf and Borg kinda did it in tennis. Marciano in boxing. I'm sure there was a soccer player. But in major team sports, it rarely, rarely, rarely happens.

"source"=Lynch's agent..

Robert Smith. Jim Brown. Barry Sanders. Sandy Koufax.

That's about the total number of players who actually retired right in their prime because they opted to rather than were on their way out. So in about 50-60 years there were maybe 4-5. You could argue a few more who were still good, like Elway, or Steffi Graf and Borg kinda did it in tennis. Marciano in boxing. I'm sure there was a soccer player. But in major team sports, it rarely, rarely, rarely happens.

For Brown, Sanders, Koufax, the money wasn't not nearly as hard to walk away from.

Probably a bad idea to hold out for a new contract when you have a pending DUI and the Seahawks drafted a RB in the 2nd rd last year. He is currently the 5th highest player on the team, I believe.

"source"=Lynch's agent..

For Brown, Sanders, Koufax, the money wasn't not nearly as hard to walk away from.

Jason_OTC@Jason_OTC 40m

I can't see a retirement threat being a wise move for Lynch. #Seahawks can attack $3 million in prorated money for 14 and 15

Edited by YoloinOhio

Probably a bad idea to hold out for a new contract when you have a pending DUI and the Seahawks drafted a RB in the 2nd rd last year. He is currently the 5th highest player on the team, I believe.

Atleast the Seahawks don't have a ton of major raises at more important positions to account for.

Funny all the Seahawks fans on Twitter are telling him to hit the road. Nice. And he didn't even run over any ladies visiting from Vancouver (yet)

He's had some allegedly nasty back issues - it may be wise for such a physical guy to walk away while he can still walk

Good job outta me - I held on to Christine Michael in my keeper league.

Marshawn has always struck me as a really strange dude - but if he walked away healthy incredibly rich with a ring and having never served that suspension for being pulled over at 4am drunk alone speeding around in a 90s ford econoline van.... I think he'd officially win the nfl.

Edited by NoSaint

Maybe so, but wasn't he partially railroaded out if town because he supposedly stole a $20 tip off a table at Applebee's or Friday's? Maybe he was very frugal?

It's all part of his grand plan. That $20 was invested into fracking and now he can retire.

He has always struck me as a player whose performance would swing wildly according to his motivation. Maybe that's a polite way of saying that he isn't always professional? But, certainly, during his last season here, he wasn't playing with 100% effort. Beast Mode appeared with a winning season. For a guy like that, retiring after after a Super Bowl win might make sense. For him, the rest of his career would feel "down hill."