Iraq is Burning

There is a valuable lesson for the United States to learn by watching events in Iraq as it implodes following withdrawal of US support. We do not, and can not, understand the hundreds of years of relationships between and among sects, religious offshoots and warlords.

We need to resist the desire to export our social, political and economic mores to people who neither understand, nor want any part of them.

Will we learn the lesson currently being taught in the middle East; not if yesterday is the best predictor of tomorrow.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2007, Harry Reid said that the Iraq war is 'lost.' In 2014, Barack Obama made sure he was right..................that's leadership.

it took seven years, but President Peace Prize has validated Harry Reid’s dire pronouncement about the Iraq War:

There is a valuable lesson for the United States to learn by watching events in Iraq as it implodes following withdrawal of US support. We do not, and can not, understand the hundreds of years of relationships between and among sects, religious offshoots and warlords.

We need to resist the desire to export our social, political and economic mores to people who neither understand, nor want any part of them.

Will we learn the lesson currently being taught in the middle East; not if yesterday is the best predictor of tomorrow.

Why can't those brown people just have a god damn Democracy and favorable view of America?

I do have empathy for the average person caught in the cross fire- Saddam was bad, but what is coming may be worse by many a measure.

Why can't those brown people just have a god damn Democracy and favorable view of America?

I do have empathy for the average person caught in the cross fire- Saddam was bad, but what is coming may be worse by many a measure.

Perhaps you forget how truly awful Saddam was.

A friend of my wife's was working mass graves' registration after the invasion. I saw the pictures. Saddam was Hitler-level evil. "Worse" would be an accomplishment.

It was horrible under Saddam, and after the liberation and occupation and mission accomplished, it even worse.

Please. You can't even complete a full sentence. How would you know what is better or worse?

Leave this discussion for the adults and we'll let you know when it's time to set the table for dinner, okay, Skippy?

Edited by LABillzFan

From Slate:

We Never Should Have Left Iraq : A U.S. military presence could have mollified Sunnis and prevented the new civil war.

by Reihan Salam

The United States made a grave mistake by invading Iraq in 2003. Yet it also made a grave mistake by withdrawing its military forces in 2011.

The notion that we were wrong to go in but that we were also wrong to get out is hard to comprehend for many people. Once Americans collectively settled on the idea that the Iraq War was a disaster, it was perhaps inevitable that we’d want to wash our hands of the whole ordeal.

President Obama appeared to do just that when he declared in December of 2011 that “we’re leaving behind a sovereign, stable, and self-reliant Iraq,” knowing full well that we were doing no such thing.

The disaster that is the Iraq War did not end when the last convoy of U.S. combat troops left the country more than three years ago, as many of us are now learning as the fragile Iraqi state loses ground to Sunni extremists.

More at the link:

Edited by B-Man

It was horrible under Saddam, and after the liberation and occupation and mission accomplished, it even worse.

Its because of the ongong rift between shia and sunni, and the messed up way British carved up Iraq. So was Saddam so bad or was he a reflection of the elements he had to deal with? I dunno but we sure loved him when he invaded Iran. And seems like every time we install someone else it does get worse .... For us and them.

Its because of the ongong rift between shia and sunni, and the messed up way British carved up Iraq. So was Saddam so bad or was he a reflection of the elements he had to deal with? I dunno but we sure loved him when he invaded Iran. And seems like every time we install someone else it does get worse .... for us and them.

Gatorman and JT6P. There really is someone for everyone.

Are you kidding me? America knows all! Where next?

Nice work bro, military strikes against the terrorists we armed in Syria! ! :thumbsup:

Obama warns of US action in Iraq

President Barack Obama on Thursday threatened US military strikes in Iraq against Sunni Islamist militants who have surged out of the north to menace Baghdad and want to establish their own state in Iraq and Syria.

http://www.iol.co.za...90#.U5qFbfk72Ag

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

we need to stick to the principle that involvement in war is justified only by major national security risks. that criteria would have kept us out of at least 2/3 of our most recent wars. i'm reminded of a military analyst i recently saw commenting on d- day. "soldiers are the currency of war", we need to think long and hard before spending that currency and it should never be a trade of one currency for another.

Edited by birdog1960