FOOTBALL vs Football

T master

They play for 11 minutes in football and spread that out over 3-3.5 hours. I don't think that's a great point to make.

This coupled with how bad the Bills have been the past decade plus has really turned me off the NFL. I don't watch it much anymore.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This coupled with how bad the Bills have been the past decade plus has really turned me off the NFL. I don't watch it much anymore.

I watch it simply because I get excited and cross my fingers and the football pools keeps it interesting but yes, the bills keep letting me down :cry:

They play for 11 minutes in football and spread that out over 3-3.5 hours. I don't think that's a great point to make.

Not that I have a problem with Soccer/Futbol/Football (I'm actually a fan), how many of those games are played for 90 mins in the midfield with a mere few seconds of exciting scoring moments.

And while Soccer/Futbol/Football has no stoppage of the clock, it isn't without it's moments of sheer boring play.

As a side, Rugby Union suffers from the same problem. Running clock, not much movement. Or teams just kicking it back and forth to each other but no one is moving the ball. Penalties, the scrum, line outs all slow the game down.

Now Rugby League, that's exciting.

God I love this debate. The past decade of piss-poor Bills football has also driven me away from the NFL as the league has turned from a sport to an entertainment show. It's brainwashed most of you despite the fact that the quality of play is far from good. I love and watch all sports (save baseball) but the NFL has become too commercialized. I will continue to watch and look forward to Bills games but I've lost all interested in other NFL games.

As for football vs futbol in America. NFL will always reign supreme but you have to be blind not to see a huge generation shift. Soccer is as popular as the NFL in the 25 and under crowd. We are less than a generation away from soccer becoming the #2 sport in America. MLS is becoming a legit league and the quality of our youth programs is growing each day. The American Messi or Ronaldo are already born. And when the US hosts the World Cup in 2022 (it's gonna happen), that will be the point of no return.

The older generations might never get soccer but soccer doesn't need them.

God I love this debate. The past decade of piss-poor Bills football has also driven me away from the NFL as the league has turned from a sport to an entertainment show. It's brainwashed most of you despite the fact that the quality of play is far from good. I love and watch all sports (save baseball) but the NFL has become too commercialized. I will continue to watch and look forward to Bills games but I've lost all interested in other NFL games.

As for football vs futbol in America. NFL will always reign supreme but you have to be blind not to see a huge generation shift. Soccer is as popular as the NFL in the 25 and under crowd. We are less than a generation away from soccer becoming the #2 sport in America. MLS is becoming a legit league and the quality of our youth programs is growing each day. The American Messi or Ronaldo are already born. And when the US hosts the World Cup in 2022 (it's gonna happen), that will be the point of no return.

Anecdotal, but my kids 9 and 13 will watch parts of soccer on TV, but refuse to watch most any other sport - including the NFL. Yes, they both play soccer, but that's sort of the point - there are a ton of kids playing the game today.

Not saying you are wrong, but the same thing was said in 1996 when the WC was played in the US. That's now 18 years ago... and the talent level in the US can still not match the level in Europe.

A lot of the problem, IMO, has to do with college soccer and the NCAA. Think of where European players are at 18. They've already been scouted and been playing for clubs "under" teams. By 18, many European players have been playing for 6 years against the rest of the best players across Europe. By 18, they are ready to play for major clubs.

EDIT: Btw, I'm not saying the popularity hasn't picked up, but thats a far cry from the actual talent level picking up.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Not saying you are wrong, but the same thing was said in 1996 when the WC was played in the US. That's now 18 years ago... and the talent level in the US can still not match the level in Europe.

A lot of the problem, IMO, has to do with college soccer and the NCAA. Think of where European players are at 18. They've already been scouted and been playing for clubs "under" teams. By 18, many European players have been playing for 6 years against the rest of the best players across Europe. By 18, they are ready to play for major clubs.

EDIT: Btw, I'm not saying the popularity hasn't picked up, but thats a far cry from the actual talent level picking up.

US level of play is considerably better than it was in 1996 and the depth of talent isn't even comparable. In regards to the level of play vs Europe, we hang pretty close to even with most of the European games in head to head match ups.

So, I have to disagree with you here.

In regards to your last point, yeah, once they hit 16, that's when the cream of the crop separates from us, but we are making strides.

US level of play is considerably better than it was in 1996 and the depth of talent isn't even comparable. In regards to the level of play vs Europe, we hang pretty close to even with most of the European games in head to head match ups.

So, I have to disagree with you here.

In regards to your last point, yeah, once they hit 16, that's when the cream of the crop separates from us, but we are making strides.

In what way? There's is no way the US team is even close to even with Germany, Spain, Holland or Italy. Maybe they might be able to break even with England, Portugal or France... but that's a toss up.

And where's this depth of talent you speak of on the US team, which position?

EDIT: And Europeans are playing the best of the best BEFORE they hit 16. The under-15 leagues are huge. And players start there when they are 12.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Niether does the ballet so I'm not quite sure what your point is.

So far in this thread you hate soccer and football.

It's like stuckincincy never left.

In what way? There's is no way the US team is even close to even with Germany, Spain, Holland or Italy. Maybe they might be able to break even with England, Portugal or France... but that's a toss up.

EDIT: And Europeans are playing the best of the best BEFORE they hit 16. The under-15 leagues are huge. And players start there when they are 12.

Do you really think the US team hasn't improved since 1996? They are not one of the consistent top 5 teams but are regularly hovering around 10 and there's no sign of that changing.

Are they on the cusp of winning a World Cup? No, but they are now a real team and as Magox and others have said, kids like soccer more than any other sport but football now and it's a matter of time before we have a real star player.

Do you really think the US team hasn't improved since 1996? They are not one of the consistent top 5 teams but are regularly hovering around 10 and there's no sign of that changing.

Are they on the cusp of winning a World Cup? No, but they are now a real team and as Magox and others have said, kids like soccer more than any other sport but football now and it's a matter of time before we have a real star player.

Didn't say that. But they still have a long way to go IMO, based on how the US develops players.

The best player in the world isn't even in the WC this year.

To add context, there are very few teams that actually have a chance of winning the world cup. Spain is a soccer giant and yet only won the world cup in 2010

This will be only the 20th WC, so the chances of winning have been low considering Brasil has 5, Italy 4 and Germany 3.

EDIT: anyways sorry to derail the thread.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Well for starters you said

and the talent level in the US can still not match the level in Europe.

You didn't say the very best of the best. Having said that, and don't mistake this for me believing we are at this level, but we did beat Spain vs their A team in a sanctioned match in the semifinals of the Confederations cup, and this was during their epic record 15 game winning streak.

And we tied Italy during the WC in 2006, with a man down. So yeah, I reject your comment that we aren't getting close.

And in regards to depth. Are you kidding me?????

And we've more then held our own against a number of teams in Europe. The point is, that on any given day, we have the talent level to either play to a draw or beat any team. That wouldn't have been the case back in 1996.

Edited by Magox