Which NFL team has the worst QB situation going into 2014?

Which team has the worst QB situation?  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Which team has the worst QB situation?

• NY Jets (Vick/Geno)
    • Bills (EJ/Thad)
    • Cleveland (Johnny/Hoyer)
    • Tennessee (Locker/Whitehurst/Mettenberger)
    • Houston (Fitz/Keenum/Yates/Savage)
    • Jax (Bortles/Henne)
    • Raiders (Schaub/Carr)
    • Minnesota (Bridgewater/Ponder/Cassell)
    • TB (Glennon/McCown)
    • St. Louis (Bradford/Shaun Hill/Garrett Gilbert)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I like Teddy a lot as a prospect. Cassel has had a pretty good career as well. He was decent last year and has had a few good years prior. I would rather have Teddy & Cassel than EJ & Thad.

Bridgewater seems to be a one year wonder. Not a natural passer. Struggled to throw in pro day. I don't see good things.

Bridgewater seems to be a one year wonder. Not a natural passer. Struggled to throw in pro day. I don't see good things.

It's funny because I think the exact opposite. I think that people factored in his pro day way too much. He shredded teams for 2 years including in his biggest games. His performances in the bowl games the last two years against Florida and Miami (especially Florida) were outstanding. I would trade EJ straight up for him tomorrow if offered.

Like I said I think that Teddy and Johnny will be the best QBs on that list from this point forward. I like EJ's potential as much as any of the other young QBs.

You say Johnny is unproven so you take Thad over him.

Is Thad proven? Taking Thaddeus Lewis over Johnny F. Football is quite a statement

Yes it might be a big jump. Thad I know he can make the throws I don't know about Manziel! Does Johnny have for upside yes, but he still hasn't played a NFL game yet.

Right then. Neither has proven anything in 2014. If anyone can say with a straight face they would prefer Thad Lewis over manziel as a backup for the Buffalo Bills. then I just have to disiagree. Which was the intent of my original response.

It all comes down to. Ill pick the Veteran that wins games, then a unproven rookie. No one knows how Johnny will do in the NFL, I'm going to take Thad as a backup because I know he can win in the NFL. Maybe down the road in a couple of years ill take Johnny as backup, as of right now I like Thad as a backup. I know what your saying, you have a good point though.

I deleted my vote 4 times. Settled on Tennesee. They have nothing but a QB. At least Minnesota has AP. Cleveland has a good team. Jets. Jags. TB aren't too bad.raiders and the bills both might surprise people with their QBs

I won't even mention the other team because they play in such an awful place but I like what Fitz offers that team for 2014.

I deleted my vote 4 times. Settled on Tennesee. They have nothing but a QB. At least Minnesota has AP. Cleveland has a good team. Jets. Jags. TB aren't too bad.raiders and the bills both might surprise people with their QBs

I won't even mention the other team because they play in such an awful place but I like what Fitz offers that team for 2014.

I keep changing my mind, too. Still surprised that Houston is winning the worst poll.

The fact we ALL are honestly debating whether we have the WORST, 2nd from worst or even 9th from worst QB situation in the NFL is a travesty!!! ---- we need to have that position in the top 16 to have ANY chance of making it to the playoffs --- just look at last year's playoff teams and their QB's --- NE (Brady), Balt (Flacco), Indy (Luck), KC (A Smith), Den (peyton), Cincy (Dalton), Sea (R Wilson), Car (Newton, NO (Brees), Philly (Foles), GB (Rodgers), SF (Kaepernick)!!! -- all those teams had QB's that are considered in the TOP HALF of the NFL !! --- we are debating which portion of the bottom 1/4 our guys are in, that's ridiculous -- PLAYOFFS ? --- come on -- it's travesty that this position wasn't upgraded in the off-season --- yet, polls on Buffalo Rumblings have Brandon and Whaley both over 80% fan approval, I don't get it

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

The fact we ALL are honestly debating whether we have the WORST, 2nd from worst or even 9th from worst QB situation in the NFL is a travesty!!! ---- we need to have that position in the top 16 to have ANY chance of making it to the playoffs --- just look at last year's playoff teams and their QB's --- NE (Brady), Balt (Flacco), Indy (Luck), KC (A Smith), Den (peyton), Cincy (Dalton), Sea (R Wilson), Car (Newton, NO (Brees), Philly (Foles), GB (Rodgers), SF (Kaepernick)!!! -- all those teams had QB's that are considered in the TOP HALF of the NFL !! --- we are debating which portion of the bottom 1/4 our guys are in, that's ridiculous -- PLAYOFFS ? --- come on -- it's travesty that this position wasn't upgraded in the off-season --- yet, polls on Buffalo Rumblings have Brandon and Whaley both over 80% fan approval, I don't get it

Some of those QBs (Foles, Smith, even Rivers based on where he was at that point) were not considered top half the year before that though, and that is all we have to go on at this point - last year. not saying I know for sure EJ will be in the top half in 2014, but I do think he can take this team to the playoffs this year. Edited by YoloinOhio

Some of those QBs (Foles, Smith, even Rivers based on where he was at that point) were not considered top half the year before that though, and that is all we have to go on at this point - last year. not saying I know for sure EJ will be in the top half in 2014, but I do think he can take this team to the playoffs this year.

Agree on Foles and Smith, but Rivers had a bad year in 2012, so he slipped in some minds, but is generally considered a top 16 QB by most --- I should have said, "you need a QB that performs in the top half of the league to have a legitimate chance to get to the playoffs" -- it's unusual to get to playoffs without that type of play from your QB -- if you do, you have a GREAT defense and/or GREAT running game -- or a lot of luck --- Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Agree on Foles and Smith, but Rivers had a bad year in 2012, so he slipped in some minds, but is generally considered a top 16 QB by most --- I should have said, "you need a QB that performs in the top half of the league to have a legitimate chance to get to the playoffs" -- it's unusual to get to playoffs without that type of play from your QB -- if you do, you have a GREAT defense and/or GREAT running game -- or a lot of luck ---

I of course don't disagree that a team's chances to make the playoffs when the QB is in the top half of the league are greater than not. I just don't know where EJ will be yet since only have his rookie year to go on. But, then again, I am not one of the ones debating whether he is one of the worst in the league. I only included the Bills in this poll because of another thread in which it was discussed that was the case. Just as there are top NFL QBs sitting at home during the playoffs every year, there are always a couple surprises.

I do disagree somewhat on Rivers. That fan base was very much ready to give up on him going into 2013 and they had not made the playoffs the 3 yrs previous to doing so in 2013. I have no idea where he was ranked stats-wise amongst QBs 2010-2012 but I know the fans felt he was not the answer because they didn't make the playoffs all that time. I do know the new FO wanted to give him one more year (because 2012 was SO bad) before moving on, and he took advantage. The coaching change was huge for him.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Agree on Foles and Smith, but Rivers had a bad year in 2012, so he slipped in some minds, but is generally considered a top 16 QB by most --- I should have said, "you need a QB that performs in the top half of the league to have a legitimate chance to get to the playoffs" -- it's unusual to get to playoffs without that type of play from your QB -- if you do, you have a GREAT defense and/or GREAT running game -- or a lot of luck ---

So playoffs here we come !

Just be mediocre , just be mediocre or better EJ please ! That might be all we need to get in and maybe win one .

We would still need a bit of luck too

So playoffs here we come !

Just be mediocre , just be mediocre or better EJ please ! That might be all we need to get in and maybe win one .

We would still need a bit of luck too

I actually agree with you --- I think if EJ can play above the bottom 1/3rd we have a good chance to make playoffs --- I think defense will be Top 10 and I think running game could be Top 10 -- that should be enough to win 10

I was gonna say Tenn as first glance, and then thought of all the talent now on their line, as they should do better this season even if Locker gets hurt again by just handing off to Sankey. Then I was going to say Minnesota but then Norv Turner is there as OC. I chose Houston, and gave it a bit more thought and now think that the Jags could have the worst QB situation with Bortles / Henne.

The Bills still have some serious questions at both their guard positions, and if not for those two positions I know I'd be much more confidant about the offensive performance in the upcoming season.

Anyway, whats funny is almost all the choices have new head coaches, and those teams have all undergone recent regime change....save the Jets who could be changing regimes after this season. :lol:

Too much bias and bitterness in this poll. Bills fans WISH they had Fitz competing with 3 young prospects. This is what we shoulda had!! Nix blew it!

I picked Titans. Locker is made of glass.

Not this Bills fan. I've seen that movie already.

The thing is, who exactly was mentoring all those rookie QB's on the Bills roster last year? No QB coach, a NFL rookie OC, and no experienced QB on the roster who knows how to read coverage's, knows how to call, set protections for the line.

Fitz did know his stuff on how to call, set protections for the line, and knew where the ball should go most of the time. He would have been a great mentor for EJ IMHO. I think one of the biggest failures of this regime under Marrone was to not recognize the fact that he needed (still needs) a proven veteran QB to help guide the new QB's, and his bromance for Jeff Tuel will help his in his undoing.

For awhile now this Board seems to pile on the Browns for having a bad QB situation and I really don't get it.

Even without Johnny F they have a QB that in 2.5 games in 2013 had 5 TDs, 3 pics, for 615, completed virtually 60% of his passes, beat his divisions eventual champion and was technically 3-0 when he left for the season.

I never want to see anyone get hurt and lose a season, but I couldn't have been the only one that breathed a sigh of relief when he went out of that game last year.

However, for some reason this guy gets Rodney type respect.

...just don't get it.

BTW, i picked the Jags.

For awhile now this Board seems to pile on the Browns for having a bad QB situation and I really don't get it.

Even without Johnny F they have a QB that in 2.5 games in 2013 had 5 TDs, 3 pics, for 615, completed virtually 60% of his passes, beat his divisions eventual champion and was technically 3-0 when he left for the season.

I never want to see anyone get hurt and lose a season, but I couldn't have been the only one that breathed a sigh of relief when he went out of that game last year.

However, for some reason this guy gets Rodney type respect.

...just don't get it.

BTW, i picked the Jags.

Not to nitpick, but Hoyer went out of the Bills game in his second series and to that point had led his team to 0 points. If he is given credit for that win, it doesn't lend to the reality of Brian Hoyer IMO. But I'll leave the hometown hero alone. If a UDFA on his 4th team in 5 yrs can beat out a 1st rd draft pick, more power to him.