Anyone else concerned about special teams?

cale

Crossman is consistently one of the worst special teams coaches in the game, his squads are below par every year.

Now we will have to keep a guy or two just to help him out, so roster spots may be taken up by guys that we otherwise would not need if we had a decent SP coach.

Short leash someone said? I think this guy has no leash at all, he is keeping his job, no matter what, through this year and likely beyond.

it is a bit disconcerting, frankly.

I do think the players we added will be a big help, but, if the scheme is a loser and the coach is not good, that will not be enough to solve the situation.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Crossman has to get performance this year. Whilst I think the excuse trotted out was a bit weak... it was certainly true that a lot of ST players from the previous season were not on our roster last year. The number of teams players we have added in FA and the draft however gives him little room to hide this year. If he can't mould these guys into, at worst, top half of the league then he should go.

I think Crossman has to get performance this year. Whilst I think the excuse trotted out was a bit weak... it was certainly true that a lot of ST players from the previous season were not on our roster last year. The number of teams players we have added in FA and the draft however gives him little room to hide this year. If he can't mould these guys into, at worst, top half of the league then he should go.

Was he also Schwartz's ST coach in Detroit? that Schwartz fired, or anyway tat Schwartz could not get a good season out of?

I was leading the charge for Crossman to be canned, but I am willing to give Marrone the benefit of the doubt that he's not dumb enough to keep a friend on the staff who is not performing up to snuff.

If you interpret their comments, the Bills believe they did not have the right players leading the ST units last season. In the offseason they acquired two veterans known for ST leadership -- Graham and Dixon. They may have a new punter. Three out of eleven is significant, and the unit is likely to have some other new faces as well. As the overall depth of the team improves, ST improves. It's just common sense.

I would like to think Crossman understands he has no excuses this year for poor coverage units, just as Hackett has no excuses and Schwartz has no excuses.

I was leading the charge for Crossman to be canned, but I am willing to give Marrone the benefit of the doubt that he's not dumb enough to keep a friend on the staff who is not performing up to snuff.

If you interpret their comments, the Bills believe they did not have the right players leading the ST units last season. In the offseason they acquired two veterans known for ST leadership -- Graham and Dixon. They may have a new punter. Three out of eleven is significant, and the unit is likely to have some other new faces as well. As the overall depth of the team improves, ST improves. It's just common sense.

I would like to think Crossman understands he has no excuses this year for poor coverage units, just as Hackett has no excuses and Schwartz has no excuses.

The problem is that maybe Ramses Barden would be a better receiver, as a receiver, than Easley but we are more or less forced to keep Easley because Crossman is so poor at ST coaching.....

The problem is that maybe Ramses Barden would be a better receiver, as a receiver, than Easley but we are more or less forced to keep Easley because Crossman is so poor at ST coaching.....

You're stating this as if it is a proven fact, which it is not. Crossman will certainly need to prove himself this season.

By the way, Joe B. has reported that Barden has been pretty awful at OTAs. And coaching or not, Easley was one of the lone bright spots on kick coverage units last season.

You think Easley would be cut if we had a brilliant ST coach? You obviously haven't warched him play(on ST).

You're stating this as if it is a proven fact, which it is not. Crossman will certainly need to prove himself this season.

By the way, Joe B. has reported that Barden has been pretty awful at OTAs. And coaching or not, Easley was one of the lone bright spots on kick coverage units last season.

Fixed it for you

I think ST will be the poorest performing unit on the Bills and Crossman will be fired at the end of the season. So, yeah, I'm worried.

What he said. Problem is I think the end of the season will be too late. ST may be a the thin sliver of difference in us making the playoffs...

To the people saying ST wasn't a significantly bad unit last season:

http://www.footballo...om/stats/teamst

30th worst, according to this. Anecdotally, I remember this unit putting the team in bad positions time and time again, and taking a big step backward from the previous season.

30th worst? So they were the 3rd best special teams unit last season? I didn't think they were that good.

I was mad we didn't keep dehaven and delesaandro in the first place. After watching last year's mess on specials I am certainly not convinced the problem is gone.

If our special teams cost us games this year fans and reporters are going to be like sharks smelling blood and after Marrone and his buddu....

I sure hope out STs look way better than last year.....

I was mad we didn't keep dehaven and delesaandro in the first place. After watching last year's mess on specials I am certainly not convinced the problem is gone.

If our special teams cost us games this year fans and reporters are going to be like sharks smelling blood and after Marrone and his buddu....

I sure hope out STs look way better than last year.....

Straight up.