Braves/Clippers and how that relates to the Bills

zazie

Braves were worth a few million bucks, albeit long ago. Still today they would not be worth north that 400m.

Clippers, who are the Braves of course, are sold for 2 billion.

that shows the value of location location location.

I so hope the Bills stay as long as possible but.....

And tickets @ MSG for the Rangers-Kings Cup Finals are going for 1700 bucks a pop. It just shows how stupid, stupid, stupid people are. Who wants to fork over 1700 bucks to watch their team lose The Cup on home ice?

;-P

Anyway... 2 billion is grossly inflated... They had to make an offer Sterling couldn't refuse. Just goes to show that there are multi-billionaires out there that can sign a check in a heartbeat and like to throw money around, even if they are spending double what the true value is worth...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Fail. You clearly know little about the issue.

really? how much would the Clip-joint be worth if still in Buffalo, with the local tv contract?

the revenue is ridiculously higher potentially in other areas, that is the point I was making, and it seems pretty consistent with the facts. Maybe sub in luxury boxes for local tv contracts, but the point remains.

really? how much would the Clip-joint be worth if still in Buffalo, with the local tv contract?

the revenue is ridiculously higher potentially in other areas, that is the point I was making, and it seems pretty consistent with the facts. Maybe sub in luxury boxes for local tv contracts, but the point remains.

Milwaukee Bucks went for over 400 million. Who cares if a a guy with 20 billion rights a check for 2 billion... He's not looking to get back what he grossly overpaid for... It is all about owning a big league team.

Braves were worth a few million bucks, albeit long ago. Still today they would not be worth north that 400m.

The Bills cost $25,000 in 1959 and will probably sell for over a billion dollars in 2014....all the while IN BUFFALO.

Not really. You can't compare apples to oranges, then when someone calls you on it, swap pears in instead.

Maybe you should look up the NFL revenue figures. More than 80% of total revenue is from shared league sources, which means that the teams get 1/32 of every dollar spent in that area. So the new owner would only be able to increase a small portion of his revenue pool. That's why no one is jumping up to move a team to LA. The biggest benefits to being in the market are revenues that you will only see 1/32 of.

Best part pf the original deal for Sterling was that he bought the team for about $12 million with no cash. He assumed debts & obligations instead. And that was right when Byrd & Magic were turning the NBA into the money machine it now is.

BTW, I believe that $2 billion sale price has little to do with the team being in LA & more to do with the relative rarity of a franchise in a major sport and guys with huge amounts of money looking for an exotic toy & something to lord over their peers. Which is why I'm concerned that there are a few more guys like Ballmer to whom money is no object and who would love to own an NFL franchise bidding up the price.

Stayin :thumbsup:

ok, seeing as how we have YET another Clippers Braves thread, let me repeat what I and others have said in those other threads. The Celtics are technically the Braves, and the Clippers are technically the Celtics

1977–78 season[edit]

Because of the team's poor play in its final two years (30–52 in 1976–77 and 27–55 in 1977–78), along with rumors of the franchise relocating because of low season ticket sales, John Y. Brown met with Irv Levin, who then owned the Celtics, and negotiated a deal in which the owners would swap franchises, with Brown taking control of the Celtics and Levin getting the Braves. Levin was a California businessman, and wanted to own an NBA team in his native state. However, he knew the NBA would not even consider letting him move the Celtics. He was therefore very receptive to Brown's offer. The deal was brokered by NBA general counsel David Stern, who became the league's commissioner in 1984. Following what would be the Braves' final season in Western New York, the NBA owners voted 21–1 to let the team relocate. As Levin wanted, he became owner of a team in San Diego, California after the 1977–78 season, which became the San Diego (now Los Angeles) Clippers.[3] As part of the transaction, the teams traded most of the players on their rosters. It could therefore be argued that the successor to the Braves franchise are the Boston Celtics.[3]

ok, seeing as how we have YET another Clippers Braves thread, let me repeat what I and others have said in those other threads. The Celtics are technically the Braves, and the Clippers are technically the Celtics

Brings back memories. I remember when McAdoo got sold to the Knicks.

they were fun to watch...i remember coming to buffalo for holidays and going to see them, McAdoo, Ernie D, Coach Jack Ramsey, Marvin Banes...full page posters in the buffalo papers...good times

Brings back memories. I remember when McAdoo got sold to the Knicks.

they were fun to watch...i remember coming to buffalo for holidays and going to see them, McAdoo, Ernie D, Coach Jack Ramsey, Marvin Banes...full page posters in the buffalo papers...good times

http://www.sportsecy.../bufbraves.html

http://www.buffalobr...et/oldindex.htm

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/2875/top-10-trades-in-knicks-history

Edited by tsnbd

I was just going to post the same thing.