Aaron Williams: SS or FS

Since last season we all saw how much better Aaron Williams was as a Safety than as a Cornerback.

Now that Jairus Byrd is gone, the Bills gave AW a contract extension and are fully committed to him.

What I am unsure of with AW, is what position does he best play at, Strong Safety or Free Safety?

I have seen most predictions from the "experts", listing him at SS. This confuses me as I thought he would be taking over Byrd's position at FS.

If AW is the starting SS, then who do we go with at FS? Duke Williams? Da'Norris Searcy? Ron Meeks?

Are the Bills serious in having Corey Graham move to Safety?

Graham is a veteran and looks like he could make the transition to Safety. Meeks & Duke have not had a chance to show much, so they could get more of a chance to step up. Searcy has played somewhat better, but does not look like a starter in this league.

So I ask all of you, which position does Aaron Williams benefit the Bills defense the most? SS or FS?

Since last season we all saw how much better Aaron Williams was as a Safety than as a Cornerback.

Now that Jairus Byrd is gone, the Bills gave AW a contract extension and are fully committed to him.

What I am unsure of with AW, is what position does he best play at, Strong Safety or Free Safety?

I have seen most predictions from the "experts", listing him at SS. This confuses me as I thought he would be taking over Byrd's position at FS.

If AW is the starting SS, then who do we go with at FS? Duke Williams? Da'Norris Searcy? Ron Meeks?

Graham is a veteran and looks like he could make the transition to Safety. Meeks & Duke have not had a chance to show much, so they could get more of a chance to step up. Searcy has played somewhat better, but does not look like a starter in this league.

So I ask all of you, which position does Aaron Williams benefit the Bills defense the most? SS or FS?

Personally, I think AW will be a great FS next year and will make us forget Byrd's name at that position.

Duke/Meeks/Searcy will be our SS's rotating. Searcy with another year under his belt will be a solid run support SS. He's built like an LB and he has decent wheels.

I think AW makes more sense at SS. He's good against the run and has man cover skills- he's a guy I want closer to the line of scrimmage rather than playing centerfield. Duke Williams played that centerfield position in college, I think either he steps up or Graham gets the nod. Searcy makes for a nice backup at SS.

I think were likely looking at Duke at FS, Aaron at SS and Searcy playing that third safety or big nickle role. AW would be a capable FS but I think his strengths are more his tackling and playmaking in short coverage rather than his range in centerfield

This is a fine question Mark. A Williams has very good play recognition from the safety position , starting last year . As when he played corner he seemed to hesitate or get turned too often.

He hit very hard and took mostly good angles to the ball . He definitely found his caling and knows what is going on around him. Should he be calling the plays back there ? Probably .

I have no idea what Duke Williams offers But i expect Searcy will be the starter and pulled out when its a passing play even though he improved greatly last year too.

Graham has been blown up here . He was picked up for depth and special teams play IMHO and i dont see him as starter material but situational .

This should be a good thread . Well done for the question !

I think were likely looking at Duke at FS, Aaron at SS and Searcy playing that third safety or big nickle role. AW would be a capable FS but I think his strengths are more his tackling and playmaking in short coverage rather than his range in centerfield

isee your point but i think Searcy could well be described that way. Could Aaron play FS by default . Only his Henderson knows for sure Edited by 3rdand12

I think this whole ss/fs difference can be thrown out the window. Used to be the strong safety was your guy who was tough against the run so-so in covergae. The FS was the center fielder great in coverage so-so against the run. The way offenses can use motion now safeties really have to be able to do both. I remember when safeties were an after thought. In today's NFL they are quite valuable!

Personally, I think AW will be a great FS next year and will make us forget Byrd's name at that position.

Duke/Meeks/Searcy will be our SS's rotating. Searcy with another year under his belt will be a solid run support SS. He's built like an LB and he has decent wheels.

Searcy makes me nervous. I agree he is good against the run, but he struggles against the pass.

I am hoping that Duke Williams takes a big step forward this year and becomes a starter. I think he has potential.

Almost every team switches their safeties from fs to ss. They are interchangeable.

No they are not. In the cover 2 maybe but the safety positions have different responsibilities in most defenses.

Aaron will be playing FS and Duke will be battling Searcy and maybe Meeks for the starting SS spot

Edited by Max997

In Schwartz defense the put the LB on the TE and walk down the strong safety as a fourth linebacker...with that in mind I would think Williams plays free safety and more of a roamer

That's just suicide against the Pats*

Searcy makes me nervous. I agree he is good against the run, but he struggles against the pass.

I am hoping that Duke Williams takes a big step forward this year and becomes a starter. I think he has potential.

I agree. I don't think Searcy can handle a full workload. And, based on comments by Marrone after the season ended I don't think he believes in Searcy either. I don't think Meeks is the option in 2014 as he was on IR last year and didn't get reps. Also, I thought it was one of those injuries to keep another roster spot open and not sure what his injury was. But, in short, I don't thing management and coaches believe in him yet.

That leaves Duke Williams, Corey Graham and Cockrell to fight out the 2nd starting safety and possibly the 1st back up. If I had to pick, I would say Duke starts. Corey plays CB and Cockrell could be depth at both.

No they are not. In the cover 2 maybe but the safety positions have different responsibilities in most defenses.

Aaron will be playing FS and Duke will be battling Searcy and maybe Meeks for the starting SS spot

May i suggest both Duke and Searcy will be " starters " we have little to no data on Jonathan Meeks yet

I too hope Duke shows off why he was drafted by the Bills

I agree. I don't think Searcy can handle a full workload. And, based on comments by Marrone after the season ended I don't think he believes in Searcy either. I don't think Meeks is the option in 2014 as he was on IR last year and didn't get reps. Also, I thought it was one of those injuries to keep another roster spot open and not sure what his injury was. But, in short, I don't thing management and coaches believe in him yet.

That leaves Duke Williams, Corey Graham and Cockrell to fight out the 2nd starting safety and possibly the 1st back up. If I had to pick, I would say Duke starts. Corey plays CB and Cockrell could be depth at both.

I do recall Marrone speaking of Searcy more than once almost as an after though kinda. But i did watch him play last year as you probably did. He was much improved over Gailey's Wannstached attempts.

He can cover under he can read he can tackle very well but he is a bit slow. He is a hitting SS and i love him for that. Covering a TE not so much

Duke was a total baller at Nevada. I really want a Williams safety duo / I hope Duke steps up.

I'm rooting for Duke. He was a good player at Nevada, and I thought he was a good value pick last year. I would love to see him get more chances this year.