Gilmore Island?

LOL @ Bandit. This is taken from your links trying to prove your point.You proved my point.

Gilmore struggled in his debut as a professional. He gave up some easy receptions to Stephen Hill early on, one in off coverage and one when Hill bounced off of his aggressive coverage. On every snap across from each other, Gilmore and Hill were enjoying an all-or-nothing matchup. When Hill was free, he was free, when Gilmore won the battle, he wasn’t an option for his quarterback.

The biggest play between the two came at the start of the second quarter, when Hill beat him for a touchdown.

He was beaten three times, once when he turned the wrong way on a short slant, the other when Greg Little’s hesitation caused him to bite on a fake outside when Little was going inside and another when Mohamed Massaquoi’s quick feet allowed him to win on a slant at the line of scrimmage.

Gilmore primarily stayed on the right side of the secondary, moving inside to the slot twice when the 49ers brought two receivers to one side. He gave up a curl route to Randy Moss early, as he looked to run down the sideline too soon, before Michael Crabtree took advantage of the defensive backs swapping assignments in man coverage to get free down the sideline. Crabtree showed off excellent feet on a slant route to lose Gilmore again, before a blown assignment from the young cornerback afforded Crabtree an easy touchdown reception down the sideline.

Colts Game

8 Failed coverages.

Little-known Jordan White gave Gilmore the most problems in this game. White ran some very crisp routes to create space underneath on two occasions, but only Jeremy Kerley could get anything off him on other occasions. Kerley ran a double move underneath to create space outside when Gilmore pulled him back for the defensive pass-interference penalty. He also caught a deep-ball against him, but Gilmore’s coverage forced a perfect throw from Mark Sanchez.

In the Miami Game that link shows that 6 out 15 were failed coverages.

Your link has given me pretty good perspective to watched on tv.

As I said, if you're basing the vast majority of your opinion on the first 5 games of his rookie season--the only ones you seem willing to discuss in any level of detail at all, then you are cherry-picking.

If you're basing this on a simple quantity or percentage of failed coverages, well, I'd like to show you something of interest:

http://presnapreads.com/2013/06/18/pre-snap-reads-tier-1-cornerback-rankingsroundup/

2012 Season

Gilmore - 87 failed on 366 qualifying plays (23.8%)

Richard Sherman - 70 failed on 380 qualifying plays (18.4%)

Darrelle Revis - 130 failed on 332 qualifying plays (39.2%)

Perhaps Revis doesn't belong in the conversation with Revis either if we're going on failed coverages.

If we want to play the cherry pick game, I'll see your snippets and raise you the following:

After his failings in zone coverage against the Browns, Gilmore announced himself as an elite man defender in this game when he essentially shut down Brandon Lloyd on 15 snaps. Lloyd came free once, when he ran a post before catching the ball with Gilmore on his back, but even on that play he was forced to endure some very aggressive coverage from Gilmore.

If there is a prototypical cornerback who can contain Larry Fitzgerald, it may be Gilmore. Fitzgerald finished with five successful routes on 19 coverages, and even though he wasn’t given many jump ball opportunities, he was forced to work for whatever he got.

There were times when Kevin Walter, Keshawn Martin, Owen Daniels, Arian Foster and James Casey couldn’t get into their routes because of Gilmore’s physicality and none of the group beat him in coverage. Only Andre Johnson could really cope with his talent.Gilmore split time with all of the Texans’ receiving options early on in the game, but once Johnson had a huge play against Aaron Williams, Gilmore was moved into a role that saw him follow Johnson around the field.

Gilmore and Johnson battled hard as Gilmore made some outstanding plays in single coverage with no help, while Johnson also turned him the wrong way and forced Gilmore to slip at the top of a curl route.

Outside of one pass interference penalty down the sideline, Gilmore reduced the Jaguars’ receivers to underneath routes if they wanted to catch the football at all. He spent most of his day following Justin Blackmon around the field and got the better of the matchup more often than not.

Then there's the entire film study from Week 4 against NE that's too big to post...check that baby out and get back to me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said, if you're basing the vast majority of your opinion on the first 5 games of his rookie season--the only ones you seem willing to discuss in any level of detail at all, then you are cherry-picking.

If you're basing this on a simple quantity or percentage of failed coverages, well, I'd like to show you something of interest:

http://presnapreads....ankingsroundup/

2012 Season

Gilmore - 87 failed on 366 qualifying plays (23.8%)

Richard Sherman - 70 failed on 380 qualifying plays (18.4%)

Darrelle Revis - 130 failed on 332 qualifying plays (39.2%)

Perhaps Revis doesn't belong in the conversation with Revis either if we're going on failed coverages.

If we want to play the cherry pick game, I'll see your snippets and raise you the following:

After his failings in zone coverage against the Browns, Gilmore announced himself as an elite man defender in this game when he essentially shut down Brandon Lloyd on 15 snaps. Lloyd came free once, when he ran a post before catching the ball with Gilmore on his back, but even on that play he was forced to endure some very aggressive coverage from Gilmore.

If there is a prototypical cornerback who can contain Larry Fitzgerald, it may be Gilmore. Fitzgerald finished with five successful routes on 19 coverages, and even though he wasn’t given many jump ball opportunities, he was forced to work for whatever he got.

There were times when Kevin Walter, Keshawn Martin, Owen Daniels, Arian Foster and James Casey couldn’t get into their routes because of Gilmore’s physicality and none of the group beat him in coverage. Only Andre Johnson could really cope with his talent.Gilmore split time with all of the Texans’ receiving options early on in the game, but once Johnson had a huge play against Aaron Williams, Gilmore was moved into a role that saw him follow Johnson around the field.

Gilmore and Johnson battled hard as Gilmore made some outstanding plays in single coverage with no help, while Johnson also turned him the wrong way and forced Gilmore to slip at the top of a curl route.

Outside of one pass interference penalty down the sideline, Gilmore reduced the Jaguars’ receivers to underneath routes if they wanted to catch the football at all. He spent most of his day following Justin Blackmon around the field and got the better of the matchup more often than not.

Then there's the entire film study from Week 4 against NE that's too big to post...check that baby out and get back to me.

Elite CB's maybe have 1 or two bad games in a year. Actually guys like Revis have gone an entire year shutting down every single receiver he lined up against. To make any comparisons of him to guys like Revis and Sherman is absurd.

Elite CB's maybe have 1 or two bad games in a year. Actually guys like Revis have gone an entire year shutting down every single receiver he lined up against. To make any comparisons of him to guys like Revis and Sherman is absurd.

So I take it you're not going to provide your own justification after all?

Very well...it's been fun discussing...enjoy your weekend.

im with Ryan on this one. HE has been ok. Im hoping he has a great year. IMO the first two years haven't justified a first round pick.

I also believe Mclovin outplayed all year.

I believe in the first 3 years of "McLovin's" career, he was seen as a bust himself. Have a little faith here.

Yeah. But he was bad in his rookie year and teams picked on him. Got hurt and struggled for a bit. Then there was small sample near the end of last year that was above average and everybody wants to crown this guy the next Revis.

The first five games of his rookie year was all "welcome to the NFL." The last 11 games of that season, he was among the best in the league at his position. There is simply no debating this point.

In camp and pre-season last year, he picked up where he left off and seemed well on his way to a solid second year until he was derailed by injury. Once his club came off, he played well again. He's not a favorable matchup for most receivers.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Getting back on topic here, some fuel for discussion via PFF:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/02/stock-report-afc-fourth-quarter/

Buffalo Bills

Stock Up: Stephon Gilmore (+6.7, Q4 2013; -3.6, Q3 2013)

After missing the first five weeks Gilmore made a difficult return to the field letting up plenty of yardage (70+ in five of his first seven games this season). He turned things around nicely to end the season, however, surrendering completions on only 11/27 targets, snagging two interceptions and breaking up four more passes. A 50-yard completion surrendered against Miami accounted for nearly 50% of his yardage total (122) for the month.

I am hoping Gilmore developes, but I have not seen the play that deserves all the hype he has been getting for two years from the Bills. Yep, he was a #1 pick, and has played well at times, but he didn't do much last year...and his rookie year was overrated by the Bills PR machine trying to sell us on him. As a season ticket holder, I have seen him, and he does make plays sometimes. But, no Island status, not anywhere near it yet. Now, hard to believe, but it took McKelvin 4 years in the league to figure it out...and he is finally doing what is expected of a CB.....hoping Gilmore is a little faster on the learning curve, but not so sure of that based on the two years we have seen. Good luck to him and the Bills this year.

He is a big physical bump and run corner who had one of his hands taken away.....of course he was going to struggle (and that 1st year was no PR machine...the kid played well)

The biggest problem is the lack of depth......we had NOBODY behind him and either had to move WIlliams out of safety to cover him which is not a great situation....Robey is the nickle cover so you cant move him......

The bills recognized this and drafted Cockrell pretty high for a corner......a big physical bump and run guy......we need DEPTH

Bandit has renewed slightly my faith in Stephon. My problem is his use of hands. Blatant stuff. ala Seahawks . if thats the trend he will be very very good. If the officiating starts to rein that in ( they should ) Gilmore will need to develp more finesse.

Smart hard working kid. Physically gifted and prototypical . I am going to retain faith the kid will continue to develop afetr the injury and confidence ( my words from watching ) setback .

More important i think Coach Henderson will have the whole group on the same page kicking ass and taking names.

This year should be hella fun to watch !!

And they signed that CB from Baltimore who picked off EJ in week 4 at the Ralph.

good eye RDB ! :worthy:

I wouldn't take anything of measure away from Wannestadt's "defense". That was the worst coaching I've seen in the NFL. Even Rich Kotite was laughing.

ouch.

That year should be cleansed from our memory as far as Defense . Just brutal to watch

I wouldn't take anything of measure away from Wannestadt's "defense". That was the worst coaching I've seen in the NFL. Even Rich Kotite was laughing.

When you say sniping , in your avatar , you mean hunting for birds while extremely drunk at night with your new best friends . Right ?

Maybe you mean something else though Darin ?

Edited by 3rdand12

He is a big physical bump and run corner who had one of his hands taken away.....of course he was going to struggle (and that 1st year was no PR machine...the kid played well)

The biggest problem is the lack of depth......we had NOBODY behind him and either had to move WIlliams out of safety to cover him which is not a great situation....Robey is the nickle cover so you cant move him......

The bills recognized this and drafted Cockrell pretty high for a corner......a big physical bump and run guy......we need DEPTH

Robey and Graham will both play, IMO. I envision various sub-packages at corner and I do think Graham has a chance at the starting FS position. Camp will be interesting.

Mr. Gilmore got drafted in the top 10 in 2012. HE has not lived up to that PICK! However, year 3 will be huge as it usually is in any Sport. I wish him and the Bills a GREAT YEAR in 2014. PO14 baby!

Except Revis hasnt

LOL @ the thread title.

When teams see Gilmore in man to man they attack him.

That was the plan with Gilmore when matched up to Stephen Hill in his opening game and teams have continued to pick on this guy throughout his career because he is easily exposed.

Were really gonna bag on a rookie corner in his opening game? Really?

Learn football

Except Revis hasnt

Were really gonna bag on a rookie corner in his opening game? Really?

Learn football

Thats a critical point . Beyond the eye test and opinions. Offenses worry about Gilmore. Because he does a very nice job of disrupting receivers routes.

I am fairly sure his upcoming season will shut us grumblers up : )

First off, neither Sherman nor Revis should be the measuring stick for cornerbacks. Good players, but overrated and overexposed in the media. Patrick peterson is the best cb in the game.

Secondly, it's possible that Gilmore ends up being somewhere between a bust and the best corner in the league. It doesn't always have to be one or the other. Like leodis, he's got a lot of raw skill that needs to be harnessed. Luckily he seems a bit brighter than mckelvin (not a high bar, admittedly) so there's a good chance we have a pretty good player here. Give the guy a break. He's been pretty good all things considered.