Bush league play by Belichick

Given what he has done over the past 4 years with this team, I have all the respect for Bill Belichick and his coaching. However, I completely disagree with what he did late in the game yesterday.

Already ahead 34-20 with 2:30 or so left in the 4th quarter, New England faces a 3rd and 9 at the Steelers 23. The Patriots run an end-around to Deion Branch who races in for a 23-yard TD. With the extra point, it's now 41-20 and the game is REALLY over.

Does anyone else think this was a bush-league call? I don't know if I should blame Belichick or Charlie Weis, but I just thought this was rubbing Pittsburgh's nose in it and completely disrespected Pittsburgh. It's not a true reverse play, but it's as close to reverse as you can get. It's a minor form of a trick play, really.

I think New England could have just as easily run Corey Dillon again and even if he doesn't pick up the first down, they can run the clock down (barring a timeout called by Pittsburgh) and then kick a FG. Yes, it's Heinz Field and kicking anything over 40 yards is an adventure. However, Adam Vinatieri is a money kicker. Knock that through, and it's 37-20 with about 2:20 left at worst. This still requires 3 possessions and the Patriots' defense is controlling the game. I'm not Belichick, but there's no way I run an end-around at that point. I'd have too much respect for Cowher to do that to him.

Maybe I'm just tired of the Patriots and this is sour grapes, but someone help me out here...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Given what he has done over the past 4 years with this team, I have all the respect for Bill Belichick and his coaching. However, I completely disagree with what he did late in the game yesterday.

Already ahead 34-20 with 2:30 or so left in the 4th quarter, New England faces a 3rd and 9 at the Steelers 23. The Patriots run an end-around to Deion Branch who races in for a 23-yard TD. With the extra point, it's now 41-20 and the game is REALLY over.

Does anyone else think this was a bush-league call? I don't know if I should blame Belichick or Charlie Weis, but I just thought this was rubbing Pittsburgh's nose in it and completely disrespected Pittsburgh. It's not a true reverse play, but it's as close to reverse as you can get. It's a minor form of a trick play, really.

I think New England could have just as easily run Corey Dillon again and even if he doesn't pick up the first down, they can run the clock down (barring a timeout called by Pittsburgh) and then kick a FG. Yes, it's Heinz Field and kicking anything over 40 yards is an adventure. However, Adam Vinatieri is a money kicker. Knock that through, and it's 37-20 with about 2:20 left at worst. This still requires 3 possessions and the Patriots' defense is controlling the game. I'm not Belichick, but there's no way I run an end-around at that point. I'd have too much respect for Cowher to do that to him.

Maybe I'm just tired of the Patriots and this is sour grapes, but someone help me out here...

216496[/snapback]

i agree, i thought it was rubbing it in and a very unclassy move........

I disagree. Wasn't it third and long? There was still too much time to simply concede the ball with a straight ahead run. A FG would be too risky at that stage in the game. It was a smart call against an overpursuing defense.

BB even mentioned it in the press conference, said they weren't trying to score, just to get a first down and run the clock out. The Pats are a classy team -- they don't run the score up.

Not a big deal IMO.

I disagree.  Wasn't it third and long?  There was still too much time to simply concede the ball with a straight ahead run.  A FG would be too risky at that stage in the game.  It was a smart call against an overpursuing defense.

BB even mentioned it in the press conference, said they weren't trying to score, just to get a first down and run the clock out.  The Pats are a classy team -- they don't run the score up.

Not a big deal IMO.

216510[/snapback]

I agree. It was a good call.

The unclassy part was Branch dancing around taunting the crowd and waving a towel afterwards.

216496[/snapback]

The Pats were up by 2 scores with 2:30 left and facing a 3rd and 9. You think a run play is bush league? Putting the ball in the hands of a play maker is bush league? Not calling a pass play which has the potential to get picked off and run back for a TD is bush league? Wow. Are you new fan to the sport of football?

I disagree.....It is a two score game and your goal is to put the game away.  Screw playing for the FG.  The Super Bowl is on the line, therefore you go for the jugular.

216511[/snapback]

Yes, but a trick play??? New England had control of the game and Pittsburgh could barely do anything at that point (despite the 17 points in the half). All NE needed to do was keep running the ball, wind down the clock, and give Vinatieri a chance to put it away. You don't try a trick play to kill them off.

Now, if they threw for it on 3rd and 9 or if Dillon somehow broke through and they still scored, that's one thing. Running a semi-trick play at that stage of the game is wrong.

The Pats were up by 2 scores with 2:30 left and facing a 3rd and 9. You think a run play is bush league? Putting the ball in the hands of a play maker is bush league? Not calling a pass play which has the potential to get picked off and run back for a TD is bush league? Wow. Are you new fan to the sport of football?

216516[/snapback]

To quote Herm Edwards...." You play to win the game"

I think New England could have just as easily run Corey Dillon again

216496[/snapback]

When the Bills played the steelers in Buffalo I had to listen to Spitsburg fans rant about their #1 defense. It's the job of that defense to keep the score from going to 41.

The unclassy part was Branch dancing around taunting the crowd and waving a towel afterwards.

216515[/snapback]

I actually kind of like that. After seeing those yay-hoos with their towels (security blankets) at the Ralph, it was good to see someone make an example of them.

It was a great play call. I also love seeing Cowher getting his butt kicked. He wouldn't even acknowledge that New England flat-out handed it to them all game. Cowher is of the same ilk as Schottenheimer, just a tad better. I could see Cowher taking some time off after this one. His ego might not rebound for awhile.

Yes, but a trick play??? New England had control of the game and Pittsburgh could barely do anything at that point (despite the 17 points in the half). All NE needed to do was keep running the ball, wind down the clock, and give Vinatieri a chance to put it away. You don't try a trick play to kill them off.

Now, if they threw for it on 3rd and 9 or if Dillon somehow broke through and they still scored, that's one thing. Running a semi-trick play at that stage of the game is wrong.

216520[/snapback]

What is a "trick" play? There is no trick into running a play counter to the defensive pursuit. Don't get so hung up terminology.

You don't play for a FG up by two scores late in the game against a team known for huge special teams plays. What happens when the kick is blocked and run back for a TD? You don't take chances, you put the game away.

216520[/snapback]

How is an end around a trick play??? Is a counter a trick play, I mean blockers go one way and the ball carrier goes another.

This entire discussion seems to say that no team has EVER scored 2 times in 2 minutes. Are you seriously saying that maybe the ball carrier should have fallen down short of the goal line so as to not run up the score.

I seriously have to question the football knowledge of anyone who thinks trying to get a first down in a championship game, with a 2 score lead is bush league.

216496[/snapback]

So ya think he should have attempted a field goal that if blocked and run back for a TD would have had the Steelers down by only 7 points with over 2 minutes to go?

Or how about a Brady interception that is run back for the touchdown that would have had the Steelers down by only 7 points with over 2 minutes to go?

Or better yet a Brady sack and fumble that is run back for the touchdown that would have had the Steelers down by only 7 points with over 2 minutes to go?

Bills fans ripping on Bill Beliceck is beyond bush league.