New stadium = good-bye to tailgating?

Tailgating is a "new" concept. By new I mean, there was no tailgating at the Rockpile! Somehow we managed to enjoy the games.

I know there are generations of fans who can't identify with a game without tailgating, but it can be done, if necessary.

Fans were also allowed to bring kegs into the Rockpile...not sure it's a fair comparison.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember that BUT it's been a while.

I can't imagine anyone rolling a keg down Jefferson/Best for very long, even in the 60's. Considering that there was NO convenient parking, if you could get the keg from wherever you were parked, into the Rockpile, UP the ramps etc.etc. I guess you deserved it.

New state of the are stadium, with the ability to host a SB.

or

Watching fans pass out drunk everywhere and then throw up on themselves.

Tough call.

Goodell said yesterday that the lack of hotel rooms would prevent Buffalo from hosting, whether they build a new stadium or not. Also I think they would need a retractable roof to do it. Now, not sure if they put it DT if they can build up the hotels around it like Indy did, but they would need to be viable outside of the SB too and not sure there would be enough business outside of that to warrant the extra hotels.

Then they had better hope the product on the team is better by then. A lot of people lately have been able to justify attending these disappointing games only because of the tailgating.

I was thinking the same thing. If the team is winning, it becomes less significant. When they aren't, that becomes the only fun part of the games.

Give Terry Pegula some credit, he's creating reasons for more hotel rooms in downtown. Plus you have the new medical campus being built near Main & Allen. Not sure what the required number of rooms is for a SB but we are getting closer.

Also figure a new stadium will likely have a commercial development like Patriot Place with bars and restaurants. Some tailgating will be done there.

As for tailgating room downtown had plenty as you move east toward the First Ward. Same with NF. Love Canal is still empty and I'm sure a few hours partying in a toxic waste site won't hurt you. On the plus side you won't need to dress up in crazy costumes for games like they do in CLE ads OAK. The mutations will do it for you.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Give Terry Pegula some credit, he's creating reasons for more hotel rooms in downtown. Plus you have the new medical campus being built near Main & Allen. Not sure what the required number of rooms is for a SB but we are getting closer.

Also figure a new stadium will likely have a commercial development like Patriot Place with bars and restaurants. Some tailgating will be done there.

As for tailgating room downtown had plenty as you move east toward the First Ward. Same with NF. Love Canal is still empty and I'm sure a few hours partying in a toxic waste site won't hurt you. On the plus side you won't need to dress up in crazy costumes for games like they do in CLE ads OAK. The mutations will do it for you.

Fantastic post and great comments

There is room and ability to satisfy all downtown - the biggest issue is traffic in and out though - how, without spending many millions of dollars and many years to accomplish, would they remedy this issue if it were placed downtown?

You can put all the hotels, "patriot place" things you want in Buffalo but it is all pointless without a stable, strong economy.

Talking about these things now is putting the cart way before the horse.

It's not worth fighting for a place to tailgate at Bills games. In fact, access to a place to tailgate shouldn't even be a consideration when determining where the new Bills stadium should be located. The reason is simple - the NFL is in the process of curbing/eliminating tailgating at and around every NFL stadium. It's a lose-lose situation for them. They have liability concerns and lose revenue. Look for tighter and tighter regulations and more restrictions around tailgating while team owned tailgates and tents are pushed. It's not like local bars and restaurants won't be on their side. The only people who care are the tailgaters who attend games. As long as the stadiums are selling out, ownership won't care - and they'll be delighted to trade a tailgater for a fan who'll spend his cash inside because he didn't knock down a 12 pack and four shots in the parking lot. I know (from experience) that many tailgaters are responsible, but I'd wager that the vast majority of the drunks in the stadiums went to tailgates and got hammered there. That's a liability that the owners want to curb, too. And they're making moves to see that tailgating is eliminated, or at least severely curbed.

I'm not making a judgement on tailgating here, I'm just speaking to what is happening. There are a lot of ways to kill something like tailgating without banning it. I know that starting this season Cleveland has limited tailgating to 4 hours prior to kick off. Parking lots open at 9 now for a 1 pm kickoff. People used to arrive at 5 am (or earlier) to get good spots. It would be filled and everything set up and rolling by 6 or 6:30. It'll be 10 before it's filled now just due to the process of getting people through the lot gates. (For a 4:30 game people get to enter the lots starting at 12:30. Whoop.) Oh, and they can expect a stronger police presence, too. If they start cracking down on drinking next, it's over. If the Bills keep tailgating alive you can expect those kinds of rules, probably worse by the time a stadium is built. At some point it just isn't worth it anymore.

The owners want their money. Permanent changes like this reduce liability and provide sustainable cash flow. Not only does sustainable cash flow hit the bottom line, but it also increases the value of the franchise. Follow the money. It's coming.

You don’t hear the same talk about Lambo field or Arrowhead – why do you think that is?

We as fans need to start talking about the history of the Ralph and how it is too vital to our organization and the NFL to tear down or replace.

You don’t hear the same talk about Lambo field or Arrowhead – why do you think that is?

We as fans need to start talking about the history of the Ralph and how it is too vital to our organization and the NFL to tear down or replace.

This is laughable. The Ralph is old and outdate. This is the new state of the art NFL.

They either get a new stadium or leave town. There is no in-between on this.

This is laughable. The Ralph is old and outdate. This is the new state of the art NFL.

They either get a new stadium or leave town. There is no in-between on this.

Russ was on WGR this morning and I was frankly kind of surprised that he said that whole we all know there are committees in place where they are looking at options for building a new stadium, but that retro-fitting with the reno they are doing now might do the trick. I feel like that was not an option after hearing Goodell's statement. Here is the audio:

http://audio.wgr550....ndon-on-wgr.htm

Edited by YoloinOhio

If the owners can make $4M off of us, they'll take the $4M from us. They like money.

if they can get out from stadium parking for a measly $4m. They will do it in a heartbeat. Insurance liabilities, resurfacing, hiring attendants, security, worrying about fights, vandalism, etc... would cost more than that. I'd even go upwards of doubling that or even more. Some guy paying $1B for a stadium doesn't care about $4m a year if it means less hassle and legal work for him. Hands down the easy option.

Russ was on WGR this morning and I was frankly kind of surprised that he said that whole we all know there are committees in place where they are looking at options for building a new stadium, but that retro-fitting with the reno they are doing now might do the trick. I feel like that was not an option after hearing Goodell's statement. Here is the audio:

http://audio.wgr550....ndon-on-wgr.htm

IMO, they are in denial. A new stadium is needed. There is no way around it.

IMO, they are in denial. A new stadium is needed. There is no way around it.

Chicago, Green Bay, and Kansas City all disagree with you. It just so happens all 3 are also cities and stadiums with a lot of history. No different from The Ralph. Hundreds of millions could be out into The Ralph and completely update it for "today's NFL" instead of over a Billion on a new stadium.

this

Chicago, Green Bay, and Kansas City all disagree with you. It just so happens all 3 are also cities and stadiums with a lot of history. No different from The Ralph. Hundreds of millions could be out into The Ralph and completely update it for "today's NFL" instead of over a Billion on a new stadium.

Russ mentioned KC specifically, I believe... but my question is, didn't Goodell make it abundantly clear that they need a new one, regardless? I am sure Russ knows more, just thought he was pretty forthcoming that they needed a new one.

You can put all the hotels, "patriot place" things you want in Buffalo but it is all pointless without a stable, strong economy.

Talking about these things now is putting the cart way before the horse.

I assume you don't live in Buffalo or visited in a while. While it's not quite a boom town yet the city is trending upward. Just look at real estate prices.

Edited by PromoTheRobot