NFL Media and the Browns' Rookie Camp...Waaaaaahhhh!

Just allow me to vent for a second. I was listening to various sports talk shows over the weekend and I can't believe how incredibly whiney these journalists are when it came to the Cleveland Browns' rookie camp. So Mike Pettine and the GM decided to limit media, cameras, interviews, etc. for whatever reason (mostly due to Johnny Football I imagine). They really need to relax and step back for a second. They will have plenty of time covering Manziel when training camp starts. They sound like a bunch of brat kids in the grocery store when their mom says they can't have a Snicker's bar at checkout. They are not "entitled" to be there for every snap, every pass, every mistake (unless I am missing something in the NFL rulebook). They are given access at the discretion of the team. The Browns decided to limit the circus and the media needs to respect that and move on. Stop crying about it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just allow me to vent for a second. I was listening to various sports talk shows over the weekend and I can't believe how incredibly whiney these journalists are when it came to the Cleveland Browns' rookie camp. So Mike Pettine and the GM decided to limit media, cameras, interviews, etc. for whatever reason (mostly due to Johnny Football I imagine). They really need to relax and step back for a second. They will have plenty of time covering Manziel when training camp starts. They sound like a bunch of brat kids in the grocery store when their mom says they can't have a Snicker's bar at checkout. They are not "entitled" to be there for every snap, every pass, every mistake (unless I am missing something in the NFL rulebook). They are given access at the discretion of the team. The Browns decided to limit the circus and the media needs to respect that and move on. Stop crying about it.

I agree and I thought the same thing when to a lesser degree the Bills originally decided on limited pressers/media access after the last game when the players were cleaning out their lockers. The local media were all over Twitter telling the world about it and saying it raised questions, etc, etc and the Bills had to go get players out of the airport to pacify them. The organization has every right to control what they can control.

for the first time ever I got another team's website as one of my favs.

Yes it the Browns because of Petine, Manziel. Prolly gonna follow them as though the season. Because I want to see how Mr. Football if I was right in believing that the kid can do it.

The Browns are doing what they can to limit the pressure he is going to be under and I like what they doing so far. They have the right so take what you can get and be happy.

for the first time ever I got another team's website as one of my favs.

Yes it the Browns because of Petine, Manziel. Prolly gonna follow them as though the season. Because I want to see how Mr. Football if I was right in believing that the kid can do it.

The Browns are doing what they can to limit the pressure he is going to be under and I like what they doing so far. They have the right so take what you can get and be happy.

Great quote from Pettine...I miss the guy.

"It's something that we weren't going to turn away from," Pettine said. "But as the head coach, it's all about football for me and it's all about the team. I know it already has and it probably will continue to do that -- it will ruffle some feathers with how we handle some things. And I'll apologize in advance for that.

"What we're tasked as a staff to do is do what's best for the football team. So if there's something that we feel that we can control that will limit the distractions that this will bring, then we're going to go ahead and do it. It's something that I know won't be the most popular thing, especially on a national level. But we also feel that the credibility of the Browns as far as what stock we have nationally, I don't think we're very highly thought of given the recent history of the team."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10946080/johnny-manziel-field-cleveland-browns-first-being-drafted

"It's something that we weren't going to turn away from," Pettine said. "But as the head coach, it's all about football for me and it's all about the team. I know it already has and it probably will continue to do that -- it will ruffle some feathers with how we handle some things. And I'll apologize in advance for that.

"What we're tasked as a staff to do is do what's best for the football team. So if there's something that we feel that we can control that will limit the distractions that this will bring, then we're going to go ahead and do it. It's something that I know won't be the most popular thing, especially on a national level. But we also feel that the credibility of the Browns as far as what stock we have nationally, I don't think we're very highly thought of given the recent history of the team."

http://espn.go.com/n...t-being-drafted

Good old Pettine. He tells it like it is.

i completely understand it. And I would probably do the same in his position.

But what it comes down to is this, football (or any sport for that matter) has no inherent value at all. It is simply entertainment. And in the case of the the NFL in the US, an amazingly profitable form of entertainment. Limiting press access, while undoubtedly a good thing regarding football itself, would seem counterproductive when considering press coverage equals free advertising.

The Browns really bought themselves the circus, didn't they? Even the gay-football player drafted story takes a backseat to JM as the preseason story in the NFL this year.

They can call him a back up all they want, but the pressure to get him on the field quickly is going to be enormous.

Here's another whiner:

Michael Silver@MikeSilver 10m

I'm worried that no one in Cleveland (or beyond) saw this column I did on the team's neutering of Johnny Manziel: http://on.nfl.com/1gO6xUI

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24561643/browns-banning-national-media-from-rookie-camp-to-protect-manziel

Some are even giving the Browns pointers on how to better market the Manziel effect...I guess the national NFL media are better suited to run a team.

But what it comes down to is this, football (or any sport for that matter) has no inherent value at all. It is simply entertainment. And in the case of the the NFL in the US, an amazingly profitable form of entertainment. Limiting press access, while undoubtedly a good thing regarding football itself, would seem counterproductive when considering press coverage equals free advertising.

I agree to a certain extent, but when a team takes a position that they want to limit access for the benefit of a player (JM)and in order to improve as a football team, these reporters/experts/tv personalities should respect that position. They will have plenty of time to overanalyze when training camp starts.

Here's another whiner:

Michael Silver@MikeSilver 10m

I'm worried that no one in Cleveland (or beyond) saw this column I did on the team's neutering of Johnny Manziel: http://on.nfl.com/1gO6xUI

And the browns and NFL should let Josh Gordon, be Josh Gordon. :rolleyes:

I hope a he does pull a Lebron (light it up and leave).

Edited by The Wiz

Not really. The media will create Manziel stories and there will be "sources" who say Manziel did x, y and z or looks this way or said this, that or the other. Then when training camp starts and they actually see him playing the frenzy will go next level. Manziel is a star for better or worse and not seeing him for the rookie camp will make him even more desired by the media and fans, not less.

Edited by purple haze

coddled in college. coddled in the nfl.

yes, coddling the quarterback is always the best move. really sends a good message to his teammates that a rookie -- a rookie -- is more important than them.

i guess the big-bad media is far more intimidating than an oncoming defensive end or linebacker.

jw

yes, coddling the quarterback is always the best move. really sends a good message to his teammates that a rookie -- a rookie -- is more important than them.

i guess the big-bad media is far more intimidating than an oncoming defensive end or linebacker.

jw

You don't think some of the reporters/media have been a little "whiney" when they were told the rookie camp was closed to national media?? Mike Lupica was damn near having a bird about it.

jw

The message from the local media here is that they feel Manziel was ready for it as he actually did experience a ton of media coverage in college, but that it is the Browns who aren't ready.

http://espn.go.com/n...t-being-drafted

Maybe because you lost your top receiver to a suspension and you didn't draft a WR---and you are pretending that the starting QB spot is the great Brian Hoyer's job to lose.

The message from the local media here is that they feel Manziel was ready for it as he actually did experience a ton of media coverage in college, but that it is the Browns who aren't ready.

You maybe spot right on that point.

The Browns better get ready . It been awhile since they were even close to being ready for prime time.

Edited by Bufcomments