NFL Media and the Browns' Rookie Camp...Waaaaaahhhh!

Here's another whiner:

Michael Silver@MikeSilver 10m

I'm worried that no one in Cleveland (or beyond) saw this column I did on the team's neutering of Johnny Manziel: http://on.nfl.com/1gO6xUI

I don't mean to slow down the pile on as the manziel circus is stupid, but this article doesn't seem to whine about them restricting access...it seems to be pointing out that everyone knows it is Manziel's job to lose and it's silly for Cleveland to pretend otherwise when in three months they'll be talking about how he 'beat out' Hoyer.

Edited by jeremy2020

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta side with the media outrage on this one --- Cleveland and their FO/HC look like buffoons -- it's not like they didn't know when they drafted Manziel that there would be a media feeding frenzy --- if they didn't want that as part of their team, they should have drafted the next player on their board and passed on Manziel --- so, they control the rookie camp and Manziel goes to Vegas with Gronk --- you going to try and control the national entertainment media ? the paparazzi ? ---- I'm not a Manziel fan -- but, I'm all for letting Johnny be Johnny, hop on board and enjoy the ride, if your not willing to do that, then you should have drafted someone else --- so, t

I still respectfully disagree with both of you. The Jags and Raiders are in the same boat (Jags more than Raiders) and you don't hear the vitriolic chorus of how the Jags are worrisome or deficient. I believe the negativity directed at the Browns is due to the rookie camp closeout...nothing more. Of course they won't come out and say that but I once again question how the "applause" one day after the draft turned into criticism after Pettine closed the doors on rookie camp. Coincidence?? I think not.

Jags and Raiders?? Bortles and....Carr?? Come on! Who cares?

Also, Schaub is not Hoyer.....no matter what Haslam tells you...

This is the problem with the win now mentality of fans fanned by the media . Drives me nuts. Not really fans any more so much as unsatisfied customers. Sorry for the rant but wtf ?

Not sure how the head coach is the guy who manipulates the perception. Isn't that above his role.

But you are right , let the fans have some fun . They certainly deserve it

ala Bills 2014

Trying to control the media to ones own end is a recipe for trouble . Browns should have an inkling by now in thos area

The HC controls all aspects of camp. If Pettiness isn't doing that on his own, he's doomed.

Edited by Mr. WEO

The HC controls all aspects of camp. If Pettiness isn't doing that on his own, he's doomed.

Sorry, I don't see the problem with saying that Hoyer is better than Manziel at this point. Hoyer played well enough last year to be considered the starter going in. Especially if the reports on JM's film study habits are true, the Browns selected him with the intention of teaching how to be an NFL QB. He has the arm, but the way he played college football will not transfer to the NFL without more skill and preperation added in.

I can understand being critical of the Browns for drafting a QB in the 1st round who they feel needs so much time, but not for wanting to teach him the NFL game before starting him.

Sorry, I don't see the problem with saying that Hoyer is better than Manziel at this point. Hoyer played well enough last year to be considered the starter going in. Especially if the reports on JM's film study habits are true, the Browns selected him with the intention of teaching how to be an NFL QB. He has the arm, but the way he played college football will not transfer to the NFL without more skill and preperation added in.

I can understand being critical of the Browns for drafting a QB in the 1st round who they feel needs so much time, but not for wanting to teach him the NFL game before starting him.

I don't really agree with this. He is a UDFA, on his 3rd team in 5 years, played in 2 1/2 games last year, had a 59% completion percentage and is coming off of a torn ACL. They needed a QB. They drafted one they must have liked. They traded up to take him in the 1st rd. They can't be happy if he is that far behind a guy like Hoyer. If I am a Browns fan I wonder when they are going to start treating the upcoming season as anything more than just preparation for the next season. Edited by YoloinOhio

I REALLY want Brian Hoyer to be good. But he isn't a starting NFL QB. He only looked good last season compared to Weeden. Edited by Cleveland Rocks?

Maybe i should have been more clear. I dont think he defines the message the media gets or how its altered/ produced for their consumption.

What happens in the locker room and the field Absolutely correct sir !

Edited by 3rdand12

FOX5 Las Vegas@FOX5Vegas 38s

Cleveland Browns fans will have to register to see Johnny Manziel at practice. Details at http://www.fox5vegas...g-camp … pic.twitter.com/fA26l07hwd

If there is limited room at the designated practice facility they have no choice but to have a registration process. It's actually for the fans' benefit to make sure they register for a time that is convenient (rather than being locked outside the gates and bitching and moaning about not being able to gain entry). Other than moving to a larger practice facility (which they can't at this time), this was a smart move on the part of the front office.

If there is limited room at the designated practice facility they have no choice but to have a registration process. It's actually for the fans' benefit to make sure they register for a time that is convenient (rather than being locked outside the gates and bitching and moaning about not being able to gain entry). Other than moving to a larger practice facility (which they can't at this time), this was a smart move on the part of the front office.

Yep Berea is really nice but there is not a lot of room. I was there for Weeden's 1st camp where there was a full-on QB competition and that was crowded, so I can't imagine what it will be like this year. They are talking about moving TC in the future with Columbus as a possibility. The Browns are trying to stretch their fan base around the state and Cbus is pretty diverse in NFL fandom since so many people are transplants.