Just Who Are the PC Police?

Who sends out the first press release calling the Village People racist for allowing one of their number to dress as a native American? What group gathers around the kitchen table and decides that the "Hump Day" commercial with a camel is offensive to Middle Eastern cultures? Racist, sexist...is there a book somewhere with the "rules" for this sort of thing? Are the PC folks and the PETA gang interrelated?

Will the White Sox have to change their team name to avoid any perception of a slight against white folks in general? Can red licorice still be red...? If Mark Twain is branded a racist by the "digger" Indians, can Samuel Clemens escape that tarring? Do I now have my tit in a wringer for using the word digger...?

I just can't keep up!

Will the White Sox have to change their team name to avoid any perception of a slight against white folks in general?

I understand what you are saying, but I don't get this one especially living in SOX territory. Notice I said: Sox. The name Sox has been written on their hats since the team was founded. The team is the original pair of Sox, being formed a year before that other pair in that other town. I guess immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Again, since their inception, one of their main nicknames have always been simply: The Sox. It wasn't until a year later after the Sox were formed that they had to really distinguish between "red" & "white" with the formation of that faux pair of sox in Boston. Isn't Red Sox more racist? Most people wear white socks anyway... How is it a dig against white people? If anything, the name is a dig and racist the other way... Like white wall tires were. Non-white people do wear white socks OVER their darker skin. In reality, doesn't the term White Sox signify superiority over the darker color like white wall tires once did? But, then again... They tried to simplify the name and then came that other pair... The BoSox should change their name so the White Sox can simply be the Sox again without any confusion. I opt for the Chicago Sox and Boston can go back to the Beaneaters. Or maybe: Faux Sox. It does sound a lot like and totally goes with: BoSox.

Just saying... ;-P

EDIT: FWIW... I am pretty sure (need to look it up) the Cubs were the original White Socks a bunch of years earlier. The first use of the spelling with an x came with the South Siders? And... What's to make of the Reds. Aren't they really the Red Legs... ?? How racist is that! Who wants red legs! Unless you are out on the beach!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Actually, the "other sox," the ones that reside in New England, would have been a much better example EXCEPT for the fact that my wife is a rabid Yankee fan. I'm forbidden to make any reference to the "other sox" from early April through October. She is barely over the Johnny Damon thing after all these years, and she certainly isn't over the Jacoby Ellsbury switch.

So, I bow to your depth of knowledge of the White Sox and the conclusions that follow....

What group gathers around the kitchen table and decides that the "Hump Day" commercial with a camel is offensive to Middle Eastern cultures?

Did this actually happen?

Actually, the "other sox," the ones that reside in New England, would have been a much better example EXCEPT for the fact that my wife is a rabid Yankee fan. I'm forbidden to make any reference to the "other sox" from early April through October. She is barely over the Johnny Damon thing after all these years, and she certainly isn't over the Jacoby Ellsbury switch.

So, I bow to your depth of knowledge of the White Sox and the conclusions that follow....

LoL... Its the contrarian in me! LoL

The Reds are in a really sticky wicket. They can't be called the Reds in the 1950's because that signified commie pinkos during the red scare... Yet, they can't be called the Red Legs now (used in the 1950's because of the PC Police, that's the "patriotically correct police") because the politically correct police will get heartburn. What the heck was wrong with just Reds?

I think this may begin to answer your original question. It is business that drives all this. A good business knows not to piss off and alienate their customers. Fine if it is a few, but when the masses speak, change is in order. And it all starts with people talking, just like we are... That is where the traction gets going. Once it catches on, it is like lint and kindling to a fire. To suggest, it be surpressed is dangerous. Fanning flames of change is always better, IMO.

Anyway... The Blues (St. Louis) have it covered! It isn't really about the color, but the music... Thus: "The Blue Notes."

Did this actually happen?

It is a slow process... IMO, usually starts with people hawking stuff like what I posted below (going on about 25 years since the first time I saw this) and then gains traction down other avenues when they begin to mesh the elements that seem to cause heartburn.

http://image6.spreadshirt.com/image-server/v1/products/103622619/views/1,width=378,height=378,appearanceId=351/I-d-Fly-10,000-Miles-to-Smoke-a-Camel.png

Moved! LoL

The whole process of moving this thread to PPP validates how traction can get started. It is the subtle tweeking of culture that moves this kind (OP's topic) of thing. Here, it is being moved to a lesser viewed forum in the name of pigeon holing in the name of organization and avoiding conflict.

What exactly is racist about camels? Is it because the word can be used in conjunction with jockey? Was that particular dromedary a racist?

Next porches will be racist.

Check your privilege bro.

What exactly is racist about camels? Is it because the word can be used in conjunction with jockey? Was that particular dromedary a racist?

Next porches will be racist.

I agree, it is pretty crazy. I did not read the articles, they weren't in Instagram form... Has this anything to do with the GEICO "hump day" camel commercial?

Societies evolve, they are not stagnant. When citizens' needs are met, they begin to nitpick about what I call First World Problems. People begin to seek things they can change, with what I truly believe is the best intentions. If people had no access to heathcare, drank water from dirty rivers and their food was contanimanted and likly to kill them, all of the sudden a football team called the "Redskins" doesn't seem like that big a priority.

I guess in the end people are looking for perfect actualization of society... its what bored, overprivildge people do.... the other day I got corrected by a mother who said they don't use the word "Fat" in their home... I can't remember what termed they used, but it was stupid... people are Fat, it whats stored in their large bodies, and why do we have to save kids from understanding that Fat is not ideal in any way, from how you feel to your health.

Reminds me of the retards that find the term "retarded" offensive.

To my best estimation that started when VH1 had I Love the 80s, a girl was talking about LA Law, and they bleeped the word "retarded" when she was referring to a character that actually was clinically retarded on the show. Since then retards across the country have jumped on this retarded bandwagon.

Edited by Rob's House

Obama and his entire regime have emboldened the overly sensitive to speak out on such trivial matters. Probably best to Blame Bush, though. He damaged the Republican brand so much that we've got to suffer through 8 years of Barry and co.

Next President needs to tell everyone to STFU and get to work.

I guess in the end people are looking for perfect actualization of society... its what bored, overprivildge people do.... the other day I got corrected by a mother who said they don't use the word "Fat" in their home... I can't remember what termed they used, but it was stupid... people are Fat, it whats stored in their large bodies, and why do we have to save kids from understanding that Fat is not ideal in any way, from how you feel to your health.

Reminds me of my brother and sister-in-law, who insist "We never use the word 'no' in our house. We want our children to feel that they're free to explore and be curious about their surroundings and environment."

Really? So when they're about to touch a hot stove or stick their tongue in an electrical socket or play in traffic, you let them satisfy their curiosity?

Camel Controversy: A New PC Low

The devotees of America’s thriving grievance industry must spend all day concocting brand-new targets for their rage. Don’t these people have anything better to do?

The reductio reached ad absurdum last week after administrators at the University of St. Thomas in Minnesota scratched a “Hump DAAAAAAY” party designed to buoy the spirits of students preparing for finals. The event would have included a cameo by a live camel, with which students could take photos. Some students might have found the occasion at least slightly educational. Camels, after all, are not native to the American Great Lakes region.

murdock_camel_humpday.jpg.jpg

“We had done a program in December where we brought a reindeer to campus for the holiday time, and we did pictures and everything like that,” Residence Life director Aaron Macke told TommieMedia, the university’s news website. “We had over 300 students attend — and I think that may have inspired the idea. You know, we have petting zoos that come to campus. We have therapy pets that come to campus around finals time for stress relief.”

Keep reading this post . . .

Reminds me of my brother and sister-in-law, who insist "We never use the word 'no' in our house. We want our children to feel that they're free to explore and be curious about their surroundings and environment."

Really? So when they're about to touch a hot stove or stick their tongue in an electrical socket or play in traffic, you let them satisfy their curiosity?

"No" was the word that i heard most in my upbringing..... Wait till those kids end up at a job and the boss says "No, you can;t have that time off to explre and be curious"-- meltdown.