Mike Williams highlights as Buccaneer

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know he was that fast

He has a knack for the slant for sure and can compete on a jump ball. He always seems to know where it is/should be. Unlike Graham.

Were you thinking about that jump ball vs the Bengals with two guys on him? At about the 1.20 mark

Scratch that. As I continue to watch there are lots of jump ball receptions

Edited by Dante

No doubt, but Williams talent is evident, those tip toe catches are fantastic. If his head is on straight it can only help a young QB, remember, EJ doesn't have to become elite for this team to make the playoffs, he needs to find consistency in some aspects of his game.

I didn't know he was that fast

Were you thinking about that jump ball vs the Bengals with two guys on him? At about the 1.20 mark

Scratch that. As I continue to watch there are lots of jump ball receptions

Yes. and yes. The one that I like the most was around 7:09. Ball was under-thrown and inside the route and he went over top the defender and took it for another 15 yards.

The stats comparison of Stevie and Mike Williams is pretty interesting. They're different types of wide receivers, but they're close considering Stevie was clearly the number one target while Mike wasn't.

Stevie Johnson: 526 targets, 289 receptions, 3,720 yards, 26 TDs, 12.9 YPC in 60 games (4.8 receptions, 62 yards, 0.4 TDs per game)

Caught 55% of his targets, 7.1 yards per target, 0.05 TDs per target

Starting QBs: Ryan Fitzpatrick (45 games), EJ Manuel (9 games), Thad Lewis (2 games), Trent Edwards (2 games), Brian Brohm (1 game)

Mike Williams: 418 targets, 215 receptions, 2,947 yards, 25 TDs, 13.7 YPC in 54 games (4 receptions, 54.6 yards, 0.5 TDs per game)

Caught 51% of targets, 7.1 yards per target, 0.06 TDs per target

Starting QBs: Josh Freeman (40 games), Mike Glennon (3 games), Josh Johnson (1)

The one stat I can't find a good number on is drops. Stevie had 7 this year and 11 in 2012. Mike Williams had 1 this year (in 6 games) and less than 7 in 2012 (exact number not sure). Chances are Stevie has many more drops.

I see a lot of Steve Johnson similarities, more so then I would have believed.

He has a knack for the slant for sure and can compete on a jump ball. He always seems to know where it is/should be. Unlike Graham.

what does this have to do with Graham?

Ya'll always fuss at me for defending him. This is why - out of the blue pot shot

The stats comparison of Stevie and Mike Williams is pretty interesting. They're different types of wide receivers, but they're close considering Stevie was clearly the number one target while Mike wasn't.

Stevie Johnson: 526 targets, 289 receptions, 3,720 yards, 26 TDs, 12.9 YPC in 60 games (4.8 receptions, 62 yards, 0.4 TDs per game)

Caught 55% of his targets, 7.1 yards per target, 0.05 TDs per target

Starting QBs: Ryan Fitzpatrick (45 games), EJ Manuel (9 games), Thad Lewis (2 games), Trent Edwards (2 games), Brian Brohm (1 game)

Mike Williams: 418 targets, 215 receptions, 2,947 yards, 25 TDs, 13.7 YPC in 54 games (4 receptions, 54.6 yards, 0.5 TDs per game)

Caught 51% of targets, 7.1 yards per target, 0.06 TDs per target

Starting QBs: Josh Freeman (40 games), Mike Glennon (3 games), Josh Johnson (1)

The one stat I can't find a good number on is drops. Stevie had 7 this year and 11 in 2012. Mike Williams had 1 this year (in 6 games) and less than 7 in 2012 (exact number not sure). Chances are Stevie has many more drops.

Nice breakdown. Gives some perspective.

He is a beast one on one with the CB. So many won jump balls for TD's in that highlight reel. Having a WR that can do that is such a tremendous asset for a young QB like Manuel: chuck the ball high over the CB's head & watch Mike Williams go up and get it. His "catch radius" is outstanding as well; he was able to grab poorly thrown passes all over the place... passes thrown to him don't have to be right between the numbers for him to come down with it.

What a steal he was for a 6th round pick. Hopefully he realizes there is a ton of money on the line for him this season and he can keep his head screwed on straight. A WR of his skill set is the perfect fit for someone lining up opposite of Sammy Watkins when you think about it: Defenses are going to figure out pretty quick that they need to have safety help over the top of Watkins, which will leave Williams 1 on 1 with his CB. As shown in the video, he wins those 1 on 1 match ups & scores TD's pretty readily with his size.

Looking back through the draft, I don't see any 6th round prospects on the board who come even close to Williams. I don't think this trade would've worked with Gailey or Jauron; they were too out of touch with the players. I think Marrone can get Williams pointed in the right direction and make him realize that his career is on the line aka $$$$$$