Predict the 2014 OROY and DROY

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jadaveon Clowney OLB Texans - I know its cool to look for alternatives but he is going to contribute big time right away.

Kelvin Benjamin WR Carolina.

I say this and still love the Watkins pick. I just think the best use of Watkins is a homerunner hitter and won't get the same numbers that Kelvin Benjamin could get with only Greg Olsen to share balls.

Ebron wins OROY

Clowney wins DROY

Ebron has no shot. He won't even lead Det's TEs in receptions. Put the crack down.

Cooks has a lot of potential- saints will use him heavily, have a reliable qb and a lot of national tv exposure

I'm shocked that so few people have picked Cooks in this thread.

The last wide receiver to win rookie of the year was Percy Harvin with the 2009 Vikings. He had Brett Favre at quarterback. I like E.J. and think he can make significant improvements this year, but I think that Brandin Cooks, with Drew Brees at quarterback and a depleted W.R. corps in New Orleans, is likely to put up bigger numbers than Watkins. Williams and Woods, I think, will likely have similar receiving stats to Watkins this year.

I'm shocked that so few people have picked Cooks in this thread.

Because it's a horrible pick.

The Saints have too many options for Cooks to put up Significant numbers and win the OROY popularity contest.

The Saints redshirt their WRs most years anyway. Although that's not likely with Cooks, he still won't see enough balls to win OROY.

Because it's a horrible pick.

The Saints have too many options for Cooks to put up Significant numbers and win the OROY popularity contest.

The Saints redshirt their WRs most years anyway. Although that's not likely with Cooks, he still won't see enough balls to win OROY.

Kenny Stills had 641 yards and 5 TDs as a rookie. Colston slowed down last year. Their other receivers aren't very good.

Stills' success dispels your redshirt argument; that, combined with the fact that this is a relatively weak WR corps for the team, means that Cooks is likely to put up big numbers. He will see the field most downs.

Oh, and Colston himself had 1,038 yards and 8 TDs his rookie year.

Edited by ny33

Kenny Stills had 641 yards and 5 TDs as a rookie. Colston slowed down last year. Their other receivers aren't very good.

Stills' success dispels your redshirt argument; that, combined with the fact that this is a relatively weak WR corps for the team, means that Cooks is likely to put up big numbers. He will see the field most downs.

Stills & Cooks will be their top two receiving targets outside of Graham. Colston will be in his last year in NOLA & used more as a possession guy. They have big plans for those young WR.

Stills & Cooks will be their top two receiving targets outside of Graham. Colston will be in his last year in NOLA & used more as a possession guy. They have big plans for those young WR.

I'll again say they LOVE cooks and think he's ready to plug and play. I expect him to fill much of the Sproles and Moore hole in the offense.

The only WR they've redshirted was meech and word was it took him two years to learn the play book to an acceptable level. Colston as a 7th got huge reps and stills as a midrounder earned opportunities - cooks already has the trust to be plugged in day one, I believe (obviously he could lose that but he's coming in as a favorite to be dynamic out of the gate with no limitations)

I also agree colston will be done this year freeing a boatload of cash, but next year you know there will be threads proclaiming the saints are done and salary cap idiots when they cut him despite his reducing role in the offense

Edited by NoSaint

So you're saying that Kelvin Benjamin being the primary receiving option for Cam Newton will see less Balls than Cooks will see with Kenny Stills, Colston, and Jimmy Graham as established starters not to mention Nick Toon with another year with the playbook and Robert Meachum?

The one thing we all know about Brees is that his only favorite target is the open man. So Cooks will get some balls when he gets open but not the Balls that Watkins, Mike Evans, and Kelvin Benjamin are in line to get not to mention that if one of the QBs pops and actually plays well they get the OROY by default of being a QB. On top of that if there is a rookie 1000+ yard 10+ yard RB they'll probably be inline for OROY over a 900 yard WR.

There really isn't a logical counter argument and we can revisit this silly argument in January. Cooks doesn't have a chance of being OROY. Not a chance. He isn't on the short list or the long list for OROY. Not Gonna happen.

Jadeveon Clowney, Khalil Mack leading candidates for Defensive Rookie of Year

The past seven Defensive Rookie of the Year winners have all come from Round 1 of the NFL draft. And not since the Jets’ Erik McMillan in 1988 has the player who claimed that award been selected outside of the first two rounds — McMillan was a third-rounder, though his spot at pick 63 would fall in Round 2 under the current 32-team format.

Based on that information alone, the odds to capture the 2014 DROY honor lie heavily with the 18 defensive prospects, led by Jadeveon Clowney, taken in Round 1 of this year’s draft.

So you're saying that Kelvin Benjamin being the primary receiving option for Cam Newton will see less Balls than Cooks will see with Kenny Stills, Colston, and Jimmy Graham as established starters not to mention Nick Toon with another year with the playbook and Robert Meachum?

The one thing we all know about Brees is that his only favorite target is the open man. So Cooks will get some balls when he gets open but not the Balls that Watkins, Mike Evans, and Kelvin Benjamin are in line to get not to mention that if one of the QBs pops and actually plays well they get the OROY by default of being a QB. On top of that if there is a rookie 1000+ yard 10+ yard RB they'll probably be inline for OROY over a 900 yard WR.

There really isn't a logical counter argument and we can revisit this silly argument in January. Cooks doesn't have a chance of being OROY. Not a chance. He isn't on the short list or the long list for OROY. Not Gonna happen.

disagree. brees gets his favorites and forces it often too. graham was getting balls lobbed to him in triple coverage while limping at times last year, and sproles was another that was occasionally forced. i think SP will call plays for his new toy often, and i think brees will look for him often unless something happens.

toon and meachem have nearly no value in the discussion really. they combined for like 20 catches last year. they will see the field occassionally but the top 3 will be cooks, colston, and stills (and obviously graham) and itll be a big gap to 4.

disagree. brees gets his favorites and forces it often too. graham was getting balls lobbed to him in triple coverage while limping at times last year, and sproles was another that was occasionally forced. i think SP will call plays for his new toy often, and i think brees will look for him often unless something happens.

toon and meachem have nearly no value in the discussion really. they combined for like 20 catches last year. they will see the field occassionally but the top 3 will be cooks, colston, and stills (and obviously graham) and itll be a big gap to 4.

You can disagree all you want but Brees spreads the Ball around. Cooks has no shot to be the most productive rookie WR and inturn no shot at OROY but hey a boy can dream.