Bills have perfect personnel for a modified Run and Shoot or Spread of

If they are trying to run the ball down teams throats again next year I'm going to cry. This team might have the deepest WR corp in the NFL and can go 4 or 5 wide to create major, major mismatches in the secondary. I mean what 3rd CB is gonna cover Stevie? What 4th CB is gonna cover Woods? What 5th CB is gonna cover Goodwin?? hen you can take Chandler and move him in the slot to create a mismatch against an LB in coverage...then they have Spiller and Jackson to worry about in the backfield...

We have a host of weapons at our disposal now and if we don't use them Hackett needs to go...

Edited by matter2003

Nice matter, I was gonna start a thread sorta like this one.

It boils down to this:

What is the starting lineup for the Bills O/what is the "base offense"?

Answer:

O line

QB

RB

4 WR

That means 4 of your starters....play the same position. You can't have 2nd/3rd best players....as starters.

Consider: If the O line was thought of the same (old) way we think of WR = #1 WR, #2 WR, Slot WR, etc.?

Let me tell you: we'd have more than a few posters here losing their minds. :lol: No. You need STARTERS at every STARTING position.

Therefore, you need 4 STARTING WRs, every bit as much as you need 5 STARTING O lineman.

I said it in the shoutbox; this is on Hackett now. He has to design a scheme that maximizes the talents of the players he has at his disposable. It's also on EJ Manuel to execute, but it's mostly on Hackett. If there is one thing Chan Gailey did well, it was designing and offensive scheme that masked the deficiencies of the players on the field while also highlighting their strengths.

When we took Mike Williams, I kept thinking that a 4 WR set could be common.

Now? Stevie? Mi. Williams? Woods? Watkins? Goodwin? Hell, we have a saturation of talent here, without having a single big possession player. My only hope is that they progress the Run and Shoot from what EJ was using last year and use that spread to let Spiller thrive.

When we took Mike Williams, I kept thinking that a 4 WR set could be common.

Now? Stevie? Mi. Williams? Woods? Watkins? Goodwin? Hell, we have a saturation of talent here, without having a single big possession player. My only hope is that they progress the Run and Shoot from what EJ was using last year and use that spread to let Spiller thrive.

Last year the lions used Reggie Bush, lining up at RB, then shifting to WR depending on whatever side Megatron lined up at/what the D did in repsonse to great effect....

...well...

when and if Stafford didn't F things up. The play was open all the time. I would line up Stevie on one side, and pre-snap shift Spiller to the other, behind two WR setting up the screen blocking. That could be damn dangerous, because now you have a S trying to cover Spiller in space(if you do it right).

You know what really bothers me just now, after reading this... Spiller at WR. Spiller is very good at motioning to the slot position and running routes due to the mismatches it creates. Having another WR with three other good WR's makes me wonder what the plan will be with Spiller. We cannot line up without a TE on the field, even if he barely blocks anyone. We don't have the OL.

But imagine if we did?

Empty backfield after CJ motions outside? I don't know if that scares the crap out of me or makes me think more. But, it all falls on EJ now and our OL has to step up.

Nice matter, I was gonna start a thread sorta like this one.

It boils down to this:

What is the starting lineup for the Bills O/what is the "base offense"?

Answer:

O line

QB

RB

4 WR

That means 4 of your starters....play the same position. You can't have 2nd/3rd best players....as starters.

Consider: If the O line was thought of the same (old) way we think of WR = #1 WR, #2 WR, Slot WR, etc.?

Let me tell you: we'd have more than a few posters here losing their minds. :lol: No. You need STARTERS at every STARTING position.

Therefore, you need 4 STARTING WRs, every bit as much as you need 5 STARTING O lineman.

I'm not trying to argue with your point or diminish the value of 4 WR's but the differentiation is that the 5 o lineman are on the field every offensive play where 4 WR's obviously are not. In a two tight end set I don't consider the second tight end a starter, nor would the 2 WR's that come off. So without getting semantic there really aren't 4 starting positions for WR's like o lineman.

Edited by Triple Threat

Agreed. Hackett needs to go tear down his playbook and start from scratch. The best coaches tailor their scheme's to their player's talents. With the acquisition of Watkins and Williams, we now have 5 legit WR's:

Watkins

Johnson

Woods

Williams

Goodwin

Hackett needs to go watch what Gailey did last season here and spread things out. Lots of 4 WR sets with Spiller in the backfield. Spiller was at his best when they operated out of the spread. Force defenses to role out 6 DB's constantly and watch Spiller/FJax slice and dice through all those DB's.

If they are trying to run the ball down teams throats again next year I'm going to cry. This team might have the deepest WR corp in the NFL and can go 4 or 5 wide to create major, major mismatches in the secondary. I mean what 3rd CB is gonna cover Stevie? What 4th CB is gonna cover Woods? What 5th CB is gonna cover Goodwin?? hen you can take Chandler and move him in the slot to create a mismatch against an LB in coverage...then they have Spiller and Jackson to worry about in the backfield...

We have a host of weapons at our disposal now and if we don't use them Hackett needs to go...

Stevie is gone.

You know what really bothers me just now, after reading this... Spiller at WR. Spiller is very good at motioning to the slot position and running routes due to the mismatches it creates. Having another WR with three other good WR's makes me wonder what the plan will be with Spiller. We cannot line up without a TE on the field, even if he barely blocks anyone. We don't have the OL.

But imagine if we did?

Empty backfield after CJ motions outside? I don't know if that scares the crap out of me or makes me think more. But, it all falls on EJ now and our OL has to step up.

The problem with this is that Doug Marrone was asked last year about lining up CJ at WR and he basically said something to the effect of, "why would we do that? he's a running back." I think that says a lot about the lack of creativity in our play calling. Also the fact that we didn't motion pre-snap ONCE last year...

I agree now that the weapons are in place that this season is on EJ, but I can't take the onus of blame off of Hackett if he fails to put our players in position to succeed.

The problem with this is that Doug Marrone was asked last year about lining up CJ at WR and he basically said something to the effect of, "why would we do that? he's a running back." I think that says a lot about the lack of creativity in our play calling. Also the fact that we didn't motion pre-snap ONCE last year...

I agree now that the weapons are in place that this season is on EJ, but I can't take the onus of blame off of Hackett if he fails to put our players in position to succeed.

I am really beginning to look at this team with serious concern. We may have better talent then 3 years ago but I cannot see how this staff can capitalize on it. With Gailey we had a great offense for such a poor unit. We had a defense that was re-sewn patchwork every off season.

You build your team around your talent and when you cannot build around your talent and instead you choose to build around your team you end up with bullet point anecdotes that we hear too often from coaches.