Richard Sherman was the NFL's Highest Paid CB

This has always (despite what aoplogists around some parts say) a win now league. It would be foolish for the Seahawks to do anything but maximize their chances of repeating as SB champs. If they lose a few guys down the road--that's the name of the game. As long as they keep their QB, they should be able to move guys in and out. That defensive backfield isn't a bunch of 1st round picks, you know...

of course its win now - i guess what i was getting at is with these 3 and wilson combining for over 50m annually (obviously not exact based on structure and whatever wilson actually ends up with next year)(and if you count harvin thats 6 players for right about 50% of the cap potentially on fairly new contracts), they wont be able to stock quite the level of talent that they are used to in the future. itll be a test of both wilson, as well as that secondary not to have quite the same front 7 helping them (unless they continue hitting huge homeruns in the draft).

win now, could potentially be a serious WIN NOW, for the team.

Edited by NoSaint

We need to lock up Gilmore on the cheap ASAP. He is going to be just as good as these guys, IMO, and this is CRAZY money...

I think they'll work on he and Glenn just as soon as they're permitted to, which is after this season according to the CBA

Not anymore:

http://profootballta...t-through-2019/

"The signing bonus, the full guarantee and the amount guaranteed for injury all surpass the deal that Richard Sherman just signed with Seattle."

NFL = Not For Long Patrick Peterson is the next CB to get a mega deal.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Thing is though that NFL clubs really have to sit down and think about this for a minute. Does paying RS all that jazz really better than paying someone a quarter of that and maybe giving up two or three TD's more a year? I just don't get how they value players in this league?

Tim-

haden gets $45 mil guaranteed ( 5 YR/ $68 MIL)

jairus only got $28 mil guaranteed......

yup - a little perspective on getting a high end corner vs a high end safety. byrd was pricey, but his position did dictate a pretty huge discount from corner, DE.

just a bit of perspective for when someone argues dont pay a safety - even when you pay them you arent PAYING them. whether or not you think byrd is worth 9m, i think its good to keep in perspective what you get at other positions for that cost as a relative benchmark.

To me, the only players that are worth top dollar are elite quarterbacks and pass rushers. You have to be an unbelievable talent at your position to warrant that kind of money. Adrian Peterson is worth it. Richard Sherman is worth it. Calvin Johnson is worth it.

Haden is really good, but paying him that kind of money is not going to help turn Cleveland into a winner. Am I wrong or does that contract seem like a bit much? There's always this desire to be highest-paid, but come on.

Thing is though that NFL clubs really have to sit down and think about this for a minute. Does paying RS all that jazz really better than paying someone a quarter of that and maybe giving up two or three TD's more a year? I just don't get how they value players in this league?

Tim-

A great CBs contribution isn't limited by the number of TDs he gives up. Far from it. Great CBs influence all sorts of things on the defense from a schematic standpoint that effects the other 10 guys out there and, by extension, the opposing offense.

GO BILLS!!!

Richard Sherman calls out Patrick Peterson over contract talks

It’s been a few days since we’ve heard from Seattle Seahawks defensive back Richard Sherman, apparently a few days too long for the Pro Bowl talent.

The former Stanford defender took to social media recently to call out Arizona Cardinals defensive back Patrick Peterson, who earlier in the week stated that he believed he was better than Sherman.

• 2 weeks later...