ESPN Live Mock Draft

H2o

1:26 PM

e.pngEmily Schaible, ESPN.com

The mock draft so far: 1. Buffalo Bills (via Houston): Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina; 2. St. Louis Rams: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn; 3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo; 4. Cleveland Browns: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M; 5. Oakland Raiders: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson.

Details on the trade for the No. 1 pick: espn.go.com

Look at the cost of moving up to #1 in the linked story. Yikes!!!

1:26 PM

e.pngEmily Schaible, ESPN.com

The mock draft so far: 1. Buffalo Bills (via Houston): Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina; 2. St. Louis Rams: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn; 3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo; 4. Cleveland Browns: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M; 5. Oakland Raiders: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson.

Details on the trade for the No. 1 pick: espn.go.com

Look at the cost of moving up to #1 in the linked story. Yikes!!!

"As far as giving up future picks, the Bills' decision-makers are in a unique position. The team's pending ownership change gives them less job security. Another non-playoff season -- which would extend the Bills' NFL-leading streak to 15 seasons out of the postseason -- could doom general manager Doug Whaley and coach Doug Marrone in the eyes of a new owner. Why not go for broke now? "

I just made this point in another thread!...lol

I do think more and more that the Bills are going to do something kind of crazy.

"As far as giving up future picks, the Bills' decision-makers are in a unique position. The team's pending ownership change gives them less job security. Another non-playoff season -- which would extend the Bills' NFL-leading streak to 15 seasons out of the postseason -- could doom general manager Doug Whaley and coach Doug Marrone in the eyes of a new owner. Why not go for broke now? "

I do think more and more that the Bills are going to do something kind of crazy.

I don't. I think the Bills trade down. Trading up to #1 is a sucker move.

You're not buying the premise that these guys feel like they have a one year audition and are willing to gamble? If I were in their position I know I wouldn't care less about 2015 picks...LOL

This bunch has no owner to answer to and no longer essentially have a 2015 safety net season. If there's a player that they feel strongly would put them over the top like either Clowney or Watkins, then look out because it's on like a...

Edited by 1billsfan

Uh oh. Sucker move has Bills written all over it.

But having read the cost, if the Bills did this as stated in the article I'd turn off the TV immediately and start drinking heavily.

Edited by CodeMonkey

You're not buying the premise that these guys feel like they have a one year audition and are willing to gamble? If I were in their position I know I wouldn't care less about 2015 picks...LOL

This bunch has no owner to answer to and no longer essentially have a 2015 safety net season. If there's a player that they feel strongly would put them over the top like either Clowney or Watkins, then look out because it's on like a...

Not in the least. Whether they are still employed by the Bills going forward, they want to remain employable in the NFL. Making a stupid desperation trade like this would end their careers.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Exactly, move up screw the future. we have been worried about 'the future' for 14 years. WIN NOW!

Exactly, move up screw the future. we have been worried about 'the future' for 14 years. WIN NOW!

1) Clowney doesn't make us "win now."

2) You literally flush the franchise for 5 years or more. You might as well just set fire to OBD.

Not in the least. Whether they are still employed by the Bills going forward, they want to remain employable in the NFL. Making a stupid desperation trade like this would end their careers.

I have to call pure bull ****. You dont' know that and there is no way in hell you can even validate speculating this. It shows potential future employers they were willing to do whatever it took to try an win.

Now PTR you have been on a no trade rant / Crusade for awhile now, we get it you are old school, just draft where you are, don't take any risks. Ok got it. The rest of us see that this is a chance to finally get over the top screw future picks. Who says the new GM / HC will be any better than what we have had? You don't know who the new owner will be or how cheap he or she may or may not be.

1) Clowney doesn't make us "win now."

2) You literally flush the franchise for 5 years or more. You might as well just set fire to OBD.

Again Bull **** on both counts. Clowney combined with what we have gives us the best front 7 in all of football period! You dont' flush the franchise for 5 years either. Jesus man...

BTW What is our record the last 14 years mostly keeping our picks? How many winning seasons? How many playoff appearances? It CAN be argued this team has been 'flushed' for years now.

I have to call pure bull ****. You dont' know that and there is no way in hell you can even validate speculating this. It shows potential future employers they were willing to do whatever it took to try an win.

Now PTR you have been on a no trade rant / Crusade for awhile now, we get it you are old school, just draft where you are, don't take any risks. Ok got it. The rest of us see that this is a chance to finally get over the top screw future picks. Who says the new GM / HC will be any better than what we have had? You don't know who the new owner will be or how cheap he or she may or may not be.

Somehow you are confusing a willingness to jump off a building on the off-chance you land on something soft and not die with a willingness to do what it takes to win. Committing suicide is not how you build a winner. Any NFL team would assume you are mentally unstable to make a trade like that.

You win by building a team. Building a team is done a brick at a time. Draft picks are the bricks that build your foundation. There has never been a team that won a SB after pulling a move like this. But I can name you several teams that destroyed themselves for years. (1999 New Orleans Saints are one.)

You have to let go of the "14 years" BS and realize this regime is in only its second year. Give them a freakin' chance to do their freakin' jobs!

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Trading up is stupid unless for a Franchise QB in the mold of a Manning, Luck, even RGIII.

This would be an awful decision for a guy who had 3 sacks in college last season.

Pass rush wasn't even a problem last year, they couldn't stop the run again for what seems like the 10 season in a row.

That'd be the stupidest trade in the history of football. A dominant DE doesn't win that many games, imo.

Bruce Smith disagrees.

In all seriousness, I am agnostic on a move like this. I think people are too fearful and a little bit delusional about the value of draft picks. On the other hand, you never know if the guy you are moving up for will really work out.

I think the idea that a move like this would doom the franchise for years is overblown, though. Teams survive crappy draft picks, so teams can survive giving away a few.

And anyway, we've already been doomed for years. The last time we made the playoffs I was in my youth (ish).