Teacher prohibits student from reading bible during 'free time&#39

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we can all agree the teacher made a stupid decision

We can? Do you know the whole story? Oh that's right, another thread of people feigning outrage without knowing the whole story or only reading one side's argument.

We can? Do you know the whole story? Oh that's right, another thread of people feigning outrage without knowing the whole story or only reading one side's argument.

A teacher stoping a student from reading? Well, right there I see a problem in general, but fair enough chef, maybe the kid was reading the King James out loud and disturbing the class, lol

Rob's House -

I'm not religious and I see a big problem with this. The movement to keep prayer and religious teachings out of the schools is based on the concept that the first amendment prohibits the government from advancing religion and as a government run entity the schools are prohibited from doing these things. (This interpretation requires a deliberate misreading of the constitution, but that's another discussion).

Since the constitution expressly prohibits government from restricting the free exercise of religion, this is a much clearer violation of the first amendment than a school prayer, Christmas play, or nativity scene. Not to mention this amounts to banning books. Any intellectually consistent liberal should be outraged.

Sorry just thought that was funny. :)

Tim-

A teacher stoping a student from reading? Well, right there I see a problem in general, but fair enough chef, maybe the kid was reading the King James out loud and disturbing the class, lol

Reading a whole article is so difficult I know but according to the school district little Giovanni was reading his bible when he should have been reading from a specific reading list.

The district said notice has already been given but insists the Bible reading in question took place when the kids were supposed to be reading from a specific list of books.

"It's an accelerated reading program," said spokesperson Cathy Brennan. "During that program, students may choose books from an area and depending on the difficulty level of the book, students earn points."

Reading a whole article is so difficult I know but according to the school district little Giovanni was reading his bible when he should have been reading from a specific reading list.

The district said notice has already been given but insists the Bible reading in question took place when the kids were supposed to be reading from a specific list of books.

"It's an accelerated reading program," said spokesperson Cathy Brennan. "During that program, students may choose books from an area and depending on the difficulty level of the book, students earn points."

One would think thee would beget a lot of points for reading the bible.

good call Chef! See, I fell victim to reading B-Mans propaganda in the second post!

good call Chef! See, I fell victim to reading B-Mans propaganda in the second post!

Now just because the distict said that's what happened does not mean it's true. They do look out for each other. The truth will come out when the interview the other kids in the class.

One would think thee would beget a lot of points for reading the bible.

It depends. If it's the King James Version, maybe. If it's one of those dumbed-down New English pieces of ****, she did the kid a favor.

... I have seen many neo conservatives throw fits..

Hey idiot, first learn the definition of neo conservative, then come around here to post jibberish.

I think we can all agree the teacher made a stupid decision

Yes

Why is this even a point-counter point discussion here?

I'm a long time lurker getting board with the sum of the schicht that becomes controversal simply because the Left Right thing. Somethings are just WTF!?!?

AMIRGT?

(don't fall for the bait)

But I have seen many neo conservatives

Oh Christ, here we go....

I am admittedly biased against social conservatism.

Moderate and fiscal conservatives are not necessarily social conservatives. Social conservatives are many in this country though. That being said, as society changes, the old lines of thinking will die off.

Then you have no idea what a neo conservative is, and you've just proved it.

When are the unmitigated moron sheep of the left going to realize that the only reason their sheep herders are so pissed at, specifically, NEO conservatives...is that neo conservatives used to be liberals, and remain liberals in every sense of the word...except when it comes to Israel/being a foreign policy candy ass? Mostly Jewish Liberals...that now refuse to vote Democrat, and look for ways to vote Republican? Yeah, you can't blame the right for this.

This is the left's problem. The trouble? Clearly they don't explain their problem to their rank and file, as evidenced above. :rolleyes:

I fully expect a whole new brood of neo conservatives to be spawned via Obama's child-like behavior. And if that wasn't enough, John Kerry's "apartheid" comments are almost certain to have spawned a few more million neo conservatives.

Meanwhile, libertarians and paleo-conservatives just laugh at all of this. The neo-conservative has nowhere else to go, by definiton, so why should we pay attention to them? The liberal yapping about them, means they aren't yapping about us, so why should we discourage it? (Of course we should publicly deride all liberals, at all times, for all the stupid things they do, including being woefully ignorant with the use of term "neo-coservative"...this goes without saying, but, we shouldn't discourage them from exposing their ignorance. :lol:)

I understand fiscal conservatism, and am not wholly against it. I support smaller, more efficient government in certain aspects. I support larger government in other aspects. It all starts at removing lobbying/corporate money from politics, though, and that is against free market ideals.

I'm for removing lobbying by removing the government's ability to sell influence through limiting it's powers. As long as government has the power to act in an arena, someone will purchase favor.

They never seem to get it: if there's nothing to sell, then, there's nothing to buy! It's a simple concept, yet...untenable for so many. :lol:

They don't seem to understand that one cannot be:

1. For campaign finance reform

2. For expansion of government power

without also being properly judged an obtuse assclown.

If you want to remove the #1 lobby from government? You really want to get lobbyists out of the system? You really want to "do the right thing"?

Bar all government employee unions from political campaign donation.

:o:lol:

Yeah, Oh My God.....we can't do that.... :rolleyes: Right. We can't do the very thing we said we wanted to do with: "lobbying"....because that means actually doing something, major, when it comes to: "lobbying". We love to talk about "Big Money" in politics, but we never acknowledge where the, literal, biggest money comes from.

Unmitigated morons. <_<

Broward schools chief apologizes for Bible incident

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-broward-school-bible-20140506,0,2569780.story

Broward Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie apologized Tuesday for an incident in which a 12-year-old was told he couldn't read the Bible.

"First, let me apologize to the student and his family. This was a situation that should have been handled differently," Runcie said at Tuesday's School Board meeting. "It does not represent the values of our school system. Let me be clear. Broward County Public Schools respects and upholds the right to bring personal religious material to school, including the Bible."

He said his administration has reached out to the faculty at the school to ensure they are familiar with district policies and state and federal laws.

Parents at the school received robo-calls about the incident Monday, and Runcie said he has instructed principals to have a conversation with faculty about district policies.

FYI, I'm fine with banning unions from lobbying as well as corporations. And also re-implementing campaign finance measures that were recently overturned.

I like the ideas of unions in theory. But unfortunately many have become bloated and too powerful in certain ways, much like corporations and the rich. Unions should specifically be built to protect the individual, not built up to the point of bullying.

My understanding of neo conservatism has generally been - aggressive militarily, pro christian values in government, and low, to no, regulations economically (basically Bush/Cheney types). If I'm wrong, my apologies, and thank you for the education.

Edited by Dorkington

My understanding of neo conservatism has generally been - aggressive militarily, pro christian values in government, and low, to no, regulations economically (basically Bush/Cheney types). If I'm wrong, my apologies, and thank you for the education.

You have this exactly reversed. Neo Conservatives became Bush/Cheney types, not the other way around. They successfully fooled even the Rush Limbaugh types, by focusing people on Bush's religious "evolution" while in the other hand, played down his fiscal liberalism.

They did this, largely because they knew: Bush was soft on government spending(see: Medicare, Part D)...which, any neo conservative likes....because s/he is, again, merely a liberal that hates the Democratic party's approach to Israel/Foreign policy. They co-opted Bush into their way of thinking, largely because they could offer him a path to getting elected, in spite of the towering Clinton results that he faced, and ALGORE, inc. squandered.

So, Bush got elected and shocker: Ari Fleischer(ahem, remember when I said "Mostly Jewish ex-Liberals"? Well, there you go.) was his press secretary, who immediately set about delivering the "compassionate conservative" message.

Again, the hate liberals have for neo-conservatives has very little to do with ideology. How do you go about "hating" someone politically, who agrees with 85% of what you say, politically? Democrats, rank and file party Democrats, hate neo-conservatives because they are turncoats.

It is the far-left, as usual, trading on ignorance and propaganda, that has made a neo-con into a social conservative, when nothing could be further from the truth. Ask any evangelist Christian, if he is a neo-con, wants anything to do with them, or thinks that they share the same values. You will get 3 "NO!s" in a row. Ask Mitt Romney why these people didn't show up to vote for him in Ohio, Florida, basically everywhere they did show up for Bush.

Answer: Bush fooled them once. Mitt Romney was unsuccessful in fooling them twice.

EDIT:

Damn, yall. No need to rip into the guy like that. Yeah, he was wrong about what a neo-con is, but everyone on here's been wrong before (even Tom, once). Let's save the gatorboy treatment for those who really deserve it.

There, Rob's House, the above is all fact, no insults. Fair enough? But, one more sweeping conclusion based on sheer ignorance....well? You know what happens.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

from the link

> he'd been told repeatedly not to do it

> he could read it in school before class, during lunch and after class.