10+ players fail drug test at combine

Mettenberger's agent says his sample was diluted because he was under doctor's orders to drink a lot of water to avoid cramps. I understand this... but I work in HR and we tell our new hires not to drink too much water before the drug test in order to avoid this. The reality is they would need to drink gallons of water in the hours before the test to actually deliver a diluted sample.

You either have to be incredibly stupid or just don't care in order to fail a drug test when you know exactly when you will be taking it

Yup - the drugs aren't the problem here it's a much bigger issue for those that fail (though ZM might be an exception). I don't really care if our pick smokes, but don't get caught on an announced and fully scheduled months in advance test.

When I ran track for Mississippi State, all athletes had random drug test. I was a distance runner, so I drank a lot of water to stay hydrated. Got called in for a drug test. Sample was diluted. And boom, I was being "randomly" selected for drug test left and right. Pretty sure a few of the players at the combine w/ diluted samples did the same thing.

It is quite easy to end up with a diluted sample. I've had it happen to me inadvertently as well. I don't go anywhere without water and stay well hydrated. You're usually allowed to retest. Diluted can't be an automatic character assasination if you're not offered a follow up.

When I ran track for Mississippi State, all athletes had random drug test. I was a distance runner, so I drank a lot of water to stay hydrated. Got called in for a drug test. Sample was diluted. And boom, I was being "randomly" selected for drug test left and right. Pretty sure a few of the players at the combine w/ diluted samples did the same thing.

Exactly.

Edited by SmokinES3

This creates some value for us. If these guys drop because of failed drug tests I say take them if they can play. Many star players in the NFL not only smoke weed, but also failed drug tests for it. I mean we drafted Kiko Alonso in round two (multiple arrests), but we wouldn't draft someone who smoked a joint? I find that hard to believe.

This creates some value for us. If these guys drop because of failed drug tests I say take them if they can play. Many star players in the NFL not only smoke weed, but also failed drug tests for it. I mean we drafted Kiko Alonso in round two (multiple arrests), but we wouldn't draft someone who smoked a joint? I find that hard to believe.

We will probably draft 5 that have and a few of those probably pretty regularly. Failing the combine drug test raises concerns that have little to do with actual drug use and a lot to do with judgement, and motivation. Things like "does he just not care?"

The fact they did it isn't as much the issue as WHEN they did it. If they fail the combine drug test (diluted samples explained by overhydration notwithstanding) likely shows they are either stupid, don't care, or addicted. Or all 3. Mike Adams from OSU failed a few years ago (marijuana) at the combine and the Steelers still took him in the 2nd round. He wasn't even that good and still isn't but he drove to Pittsburgh in the time between the test reveal to the teams (which is before the info is released to the media) and begged them to draft him, pleading it was a one-time mistake, etc. He always dreamed of playng for the Steelers. Unfortunately, they did, and not only is a not that good of a player (he was never that motivated) he has gotten in trouble since. The bottom line is it is a clear red flag. A kid like Jernigan had no character issues before this and it may not hurt him as I believe he was one that had a diluted sample. Seantrel Henderson is probably looking at not getting drafted as he has had multiple instances of problems.

College kids smoking weed? Go figure.

During the combine period???? Come on. Stupid. Edited by YoloinOhio

The fact they did it isn't as much the issue as WHEN they did it. If they fail the combine drug test (diluted samples explained by overhydration notwithstanding) likely shows they are either stupid, don't care, or addicted. Or all 3. Mike Adams from OSU failed a few years ago (marijuana) at the combine and the Steelers still took him in the 2nd round. He wasn't even that good and still isn't but he drove to Pittsburgh in the time between the test reveal to the teams (which is before the info is released to the media) and begged them to draft him, pleading it was a one-time mistake, etc. He always dreamed of playng for the Steelers. Unfortunately, they did, and not only is a not that good of a player (he was never that motivated) he has gotten in trouble since. The bottom line is it is a clear red flag. A kid like Jernigan had no character issues before this and it may not hurt him as I believe he was one that had a diluted sample. Seantrel Henderson is probably looking at not getting drafted as he has had multiple instances of problems.

During the combine period???? Come on. Stupid.

Yup and Mettenberger has had prior issues and that's why he ended up at LSU.

During the combine period???? Come on. Stupid.

That still creates value for us. Would we all not take Justin Houston or Keenan Allen? Also, I have no problem with the failed drug test. A player could simply be rehabbing an injury and wants to avoid an opiate addiction. Then again, the NFL would have no problem with Vicodin. I'm not going to judge them as I do not live in almost near constant pain, and many football players do.