Who's Buying Shares In EJ?

Beerball

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a new type of fantasy football!! Good luck...

It just occurred to me, that if you own a majority of the shares for a player you ought to have some say in future negotiations.

Edited by stowellez

I thought we got rid of slavery back in the 1800's?? If I want to invest in a horse and get return on my investment I'm allowed to take a look at his teeth and examine his legs/back. Can I assume the annual report for Vernon, EJ and others will give me a breakdown of their bloodlines, history of illnesses, musculature and other relevant data?? Craziness.

Davis, 30, will need to make more than $40 million just to deliver a small return on Fantex's investment in him.

Davis has already had his big 2nd contract payday. How is he supposed to make $40 Million plus now that he is 30 yrs old? He can probably play for 5 more years, but the gigantic payday has likely already occurred.

What a strange business model - it must be geared toward gamblers.

As this article makes fairly clear, but the WSJ has covered in depth, stock in athletes, the way these are set up is like buying stock in the Packers. It's your chance to get some NFL paraphernalia at an inflated cost. As for the comparison above to slavery? I don't think slaves routinely gave up nothing in exchange for thousands / million of dollars. This is more akin to a personal hedge. Using this vehicle a player can functionally backstop the possibility of disappointing career earnings. Again this is total BS, but likely sails by / avoids the SEC qualifications because there are A LOT worse investment vehicles out there in both the public and private equity markets.

• 1 month later...

I remember seeing this on CNN last year with Arian Foster. Sounds intersesting.

i think he needs to play an entire season devoid of injury before referring to himself as a brand.

Its kind of like a stock. If he does well, you will do well. Id say that Foster's stocks have dropped after last year.