OT/TE or TE/OT in first two rounds??

I am a Ebron fan, but this is probably the best overall idea. The only problem is if you don't get an OT in the 1st (which I still am not a huge fan of), can you pass on an OT in the 2nd for a TE?

I think that depends entirely on what happens in the 1st. There is some great depth at OL in this draft, perhaps unprecedented depth, so getting one in the 3rd is even a good possibility this year.

I just have a hunch that they're gonna take a QB in the 3rd or 4th. Especially is they end up trading down for extra picks vs. trading up and having less to work with this year.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also prefer the OT Matthews with TE Seferian-Jenkins. I think the Bills will strive to be a run-oriented offense.

I still hate idea of a RT at 9 (bad value) but I could live with this. The Bills would have had a nice offseason of filling holes.

I'd be fine with your scenario of OT/TE, but I am not convinced TE is a position of tremendous need for us. I would take any of the top three OTs and am hoping for Mathews. Lewan is going to be an excellent OT in the league. A bit of a reach for 9 but fills a huge need and should be a fixture for years to come. RT vs LT is old news and will continue to change in dynamic. Two solid OTs who can run and pass block are essential to our success. TE is a nice to have. Real nice to have, so I am good with a TE at 2 and we will likely have one of the top three available. So in your scenario, we get the second or third best OT on paper, the second or third TE. Both areas in need of upgrade at a minimum. I would keep looking for value at DE and Safety later. I am really against trading up unless it lands us Watkins or Clowney at a reasonable price. We can't afford to give up our 1 next year and I'd rather not part with our two this year either. We are more than a player away from being a contender. We really need to hit on our picks to make up for past years blunders. Trading down if it brings in more high picks is a nice option too, but I think it is safer to stay with OT/TE/WR/DE/S/DB as the order of picks adjusting if BPA slides.

Edited by Bills Fan of Maryland

I would Love it if Mathews fell to us at 9. If not, then we go with Lewan or a LB (Mosley perhaps) but I just don't believe in taking TEs high in the first. I would also Love it if RB Hyde were to fall to us at the top of the second (would be a total steal) as he would be a great fit for the O-system we are trying to implement.

I'm with the OT in R1 camp. It looks like the OTs will be a hot commodity in R1 and the TEs won't. Mayock has Martin rated in top 10 now.

I won't be disappointed to get one of Mathews/Martin in R1 and one of ASJ/niklas/amaro in R2.

The Bills need an upgrade at RT but that might come from Chris Hairston and there should still be some pretty good RTs in the third round, I for one like Billy Turner but would settle for Tiny Richardson or Jack Mewhort- I got nothing against Ebron but I like ASJ better and Niklas and Amaro are not far behind - Jerry Huges is a free agent next year and Mario Williams is going to make an ungodly amount of money, the Bills explored moving up to get Clowney taking these things into consideration here is how it might be played out

Round 1 Anthony Barr or Aaron Donald

Round 2 ASJ, Niklas or Amaro

Round 3 Billy Turner, Jack Mewhort or Anthony Richardson

I'd be fine with your scenario of OT/TE, but I am not convinced TE is a position of tremendous need for us. I would take any of the top three OTs and am hoping for Mathews. Lewan is going to be an excellent OT in the league. A bit of a reach for 9 but fills a huge need and should be a fixture for years to come. RT vs LT is old news and will continue to change in dynamic. Two solid OTs who can run and pass block are essential to our success. TE is a nice to have. Real nice to have, so I am good with a TE at 2 and we will likely have one of the top three available. So in your scenario, we get the second or third best OT on paper, the second or third TE. Both areas in need of upgrade at a minimum. I would keep looking for value at DE and Safety later. I am really against trading up unless it lands us Watkins or Clowney at a reasonable price. We can't afford to give up our 1 next year and I'd rather not part with our two this year either. We are more than a player away from being a contender. We really need to hit on our picks to make up for past years blunders. Trading down if it brings in more high picks is a nice option too, but I think it is safer to stay with OT/TE/WR/DE/S/DB as the order of picks adjusting if BPA slides.

We have more depth and options on the table at TE than we do at defensive tackle. We traded our 6th round pick for a good WR, who comes with some risk, but not much more than a rookie college guy does. There is your WR fix. Have you thought of another 3 down linebacker or a linebacker with coverage skills? Nope- that is a high need as well.

My prediction for the Bills draft is:

1st- Zach Martin OT Notre Dame

2nd- Scott Crichton DE Oregon State

3rd- Best Available WR, CB, RB

That's how I see it playing out. They solidify their OL in R1 and follow that up with a LDE prospect in R2. I like both of those players in those spots. I differ on the direction after that. I can see them adding a CB, but not as likely a WR, and I think the RB talk from the front office is just that: talk. As far as TE is concerned, after years of saying they need to add a good one and watching them ignore it, I'm taking the old 'I'll believe it when I see it' approach. I expect them to take someone like Marcel Jensen in R4 or 5. That said, I'm not convinced that Ebron is all that great, anyway.

Now if they trade down, all bets are off. If that happens, I think my choice for a surprise pick is more in play. That surprise pick? Louisville safety Calvin Pryor.

That's how I see it playing out. They solidify their OL in R1 and follow that up with a LDE prospect in R2. I like both of those players in those spots. I differ on the direction after that. I can see them adding a CB, but not as likely a WR, and I think the RB talk from the front office is just that: talk. As far as TE is concerned, after years of saying they need to add a good one and watching them ignore it, I'm taking the old 'I'll believe it when I see it' approach. I expect them to take someone like Marcel Jensen in R4 or 5. That said, I'm not convinced that Ebron is all that great, anyway.

Now if they trade down, all bets are off. If that happens, I think my choice for a surprise pick is more in play. That surprise pick? Louisville safety Calvin Pryor.

Where is EJ Manuel's "go to" #1 receiver coming from? Is he on this team? If he is, who is this Bills player?

The Bills spent a 1st round pick on a QB last year. Going OL and DE with the first two picks is a fireable offense unless you truly believe that Manual's future "go to" #1 receiving target is on the team right now.

The reality is that there is no "waiting till 2015 draft to select or find your top #1 receiver" with EJ Manual. He's a raw 1st round selected QB who needs his "#1 guy" right now, or everyone should be prepared for a total turnover in FO, coaching and QB for the 2015 season. Because the extremely average Scott Chandler leading your team in receptions should tell everyone that you have a serious problem that must be addressed with one of the top two picks.

Edited by 1billsfan

I want no part of an OT in the first round. I want more game breaking difference makers with elite skill.

I want no part of an OT in the first round. I want more game breaking difference makers with elite skill.

having a stud OT allows your QB time and opportunity to get the ball to your game breaking difference makers already on the roster

having a stud OT helps open holes for your game breaking RBs already on the roster

OT improves every aspect of our offense

Where is EJ Manuel's "go to" #1 receiver coming from? Is he on this team? If he is, who is this Bills player?

The Bills spent a 1st round pick on a QB last year. Going OL and DE with the first two picks is a fireable offense unless you truly believe that Manual's future "go to" #1 receiving target is on the team right now.

The reality is that there is no "waiting till 2015 draft to select or find your top #1 receiver" with EJ Manual. He's a raw 1st round selected QB who needs his "#1 guy" right now, or everyone should be prepared for a total turnover in FO, coaching and QB for the 2015 season. Because the extremely average Scott Chandler leading your team in receptions should tell everyone that you have a serious problem that must be addressed with one of the top two picks.

I recall plenty of opportunities to hit Graham or Goodwin down the sideline but EJ tossed it out of bounds. With as many receivers and top RIbs we have, I don't think there is a shortage of weapons. Having road graders at RT and TE will help protect EJ and aid the run game.

I recall plenty of opportunities to hit Graham or Goodwin down the sideline but EJ tossed it out of bounds. With as many receivers and top RIbs we have, I don't think there is a shortage of weapons. Having road graders at RT and TE will help protect EJ and aid the run game.

So you're saying both Graham and Goodwin are qualified as being seriously considered Manual's #1 "go to" receiver, which defenses will have to game plan to stop?

Edited by 1billsfan

They could certainly stand an upgrade at WR, but its not going to matter one bit if he misses half the year again because the OL can't block anyone. Further, I think it serves a dual purpose of not only helping EJ by keeping him on his feet and off the injured list, but it also gives him a more effective running game to rely on.

And to be honest, while the Bills may not have a true elite receiving threat, they're not devoid of talent by any means.

They could certainly stand an upgrade at WR, but its not going to matter one bit if he misses half the year again because the OL can't block anyone. Further, I think it serves a dual purpose of not only helping EJ by keeping him on his feet and off the injured list, but it also gives him a more effective running game to rely on.

And to be honest, while the Bills may not have a true elite receiving threat, they're not devoid of talent by any means.

My issue was going OL/DE first two picks. This board is 100% in agreement that they need a RT within the first two picks. That includes me.

If they go OL/DE, like you suggested, then that would be a ballsy move since Manual has no #1 guy. He isn't Brady, he needs a great receiving threat added this year or this whole regime is in trouble IMO.

Edited by 1billsfan