Donald Sterling in hot water

i hate to be so crass, but i think the 'demetia' angle is completely contrived to try and relieve him of any knowing/willing wrong doing....the wife claimed he had symptoms of it last week then this rambling train wreck....something smells very fishy about this

Or...he actually is senile.

No way for us to tell, really.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hate to be so crass, but i think the 'demetia' angle is completely contrived to try and relieve him of any knowing/willing wrong doing....the wife claimed he had symptoms of it last week then this rambling train wreck....something smells very fishy about this

Or...he actually is senile.

No way for us to tell, really.

I know more than a few people who work(ed) directly for Sterling and/or the Clippers. From what they say, this is pretty much how he's always sounded and spoken. He could very well be losing it at his advanced age, but the diatribes are consistent with his younger self.

I know more than a few people who work(ed) directly for Sterling and/or the Clippers. From what they say, this is pretty much how he's always sounded and spoken. He could very well be losing it at his advanced age, but the diatribes are consistent with his younger self.

It's not the diatribes, it's the way he can't seem to keep to a coherent, rational train of thought.

Forget the content of his opinions...the people you know say he's always been incoherent? How'd he ever become successful enough to own a major league sports franchise?

...oh, wait, it's the Clippers. Never mind...

It's not the diatribes, it's the way he can't seem to keep to a coherent, rational train of thought.

Forget the content of his opinions...the people you know say he's always been incoherent? How'd he ever become successful enough to own a major league sports franchise?

...oh, wait, it's the Clippers. Never mind...

:lol: :lol:

You're right, I meant the incoherency more than the content. I don't know anyone who knew him in his prime, just the past 15 years or so.

Well...no offense to LeBron, and I understand and sympathize with his sentiment, but I think he is kind of over-stepping here. He isn't playing for Sterling, and will have the power he needs to make sure that doesn't happen, ever. Now, if Chris Paul, or Blake Griffin said the same thing, it might seem more appropriate.

If LeBron did sit out next season, in protest, that would give another team a chance to win a ring! Should I be rooting for Sterling now? :lol:

Good point. I have great interest in the NBA playoffs, but only due to the fact that I want ANYONE to beat the Heat. I think Lebron should start his boycott now!

Well...no offense to LeBron, and I understand and sympathize with his sentiment, but I think he is kind of over-stepping here. He isn't playing for Sterling, and will have the power he needs to make sure that doesn't happen, ever. Now, if Chris Paul, or Blake Griffin said the same thing, it might seem more appropriate.

If LeBron did sit out next season, in protest, that would give another team a chance to win a ring! Should I be rooting for Sterling now? :lol:

I actually disagree though I see your point. The NBA is different than any other professional team sport in the sense that it's completely star driven. The new CBA that was rammed down the player's throats still ceded 51% of profits to the players. In basketball, one superstar player can not only alter the entire face of a franchise but the league itself. There's no question that Lebron is king right now and is, without a doubt, the face of the NBA for the next decade or two. He has to speak out about this because he represents not only the brand of the league itself but he's the face of the sport to all the kids playing in elementary schools across the world.

More than that, as a business man, because he's vested in the commercial viability of the league itself by virtue of the CBA, if Lebron believes that the Sterlings continued ownership threatens revenue (which, I believe is clear that it would -- especially living in Los Angeles where it's front page news) then he absolutely has a right to voice his opinion; if not a duty to do so. He has to protect his business.

Chris Paul is in a tough situation because not only does he play for the Clippers but he's also the president of the Player's Union. He has to speak for himself, his teammates, and every other player in the league. I don't envy him one bit and can't imagine the toll it's taking on him during their playoff run. It'll be interesting to hear his (more or less) unfiltered opinions on the issue when they're done playing this season but there are lots of rumors (and outright statements by folks like Magic) that Paul and the Clippers would not play in October if the Sterlings are still owners -- which, considering the speed of our legal system and the Sterlings' intention to fight this, seems to be a likely scenario.

But guys like Lebron and Paul are in safer positions than most of the players. They've made their money and can afford to sit out -- but the younger guys, the journeymen, et al are the ones who would have to be willing to sacrifice their game checks to make a stand. Would they be willing to do that? Or, I guess the better question is would there be enough guys willing to do that? We'll find out I guess. Shelly Sterling seems to think that if push came to shove she could find enough guys who would be willing to play that the Clippers would be fine. And I bet she's right.

That's why Lebron has to say something and threaten to make a stand. If Lebron sat out, it would hurt the other 29 owners immensely. A prolonged strike by their star players would be catastrophic to a league that just enjoyed one of the best first rounds in their history and has the ratings to prove it. Lebron saying something puts a bird in each of those 29 owners' ears, reminding them that this is bigger than just one franchise.

Did anyone watch the game last night? Think the refs are out to get Sterling too?

What a strange ending to that game. Wow.

I don't care that the Clippers blew it, they had the lead, and should have had the ball. Heck, it would have been different if Sepho got the 2 free throws.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0805/biggest.no.calls/content.3.html

Biggest no calls/missed calls! Sabres game hurts the most, there is replay showing what happened.

You'll be waiting a long time I'm afraid.

Lebron James has already cheated, many...many times. It started with his time at Akron SVSM and continued on. So, waiting a long time? No, dude has shown his true colors already. He's a punk ass mofo who should be shived and left to hang on display in Cleveland.

I grew up in Ohio at about the same time James was making his debut. His school would schedule games all across the state and bring in major ad revenue. His mom would parade the oppositions fans holding up signs and telling everyone how great her son was. She quit working while he was in school and took out a major loan to buy him a Hummer. She had never made much of anything in her life, either. James got free swag from anyone and everyone who'd give it to him. Including the plugs and reps for tattoo parlors and jerseys, etc. I'll always remember it was a Washington Capitals jersey that threw up the first major red flag to the nation. Either way, he and many of his teammates were suspended. When it was time for state playoffs LeBron petitioned OSHAA to get reinstated for the state meet and boy could you hear about how unfair everything was at that point. He jeopardized his teammates for $$. What a schmuck.

It continues, at least in my eyes, down to the little bitty part where he shoots commercials for McDonnalds. Really? A star athlete talking about that place and it being good? Obesity is a major epidemic in this country and that retard is propping up a fast food place for chump change compared to his overall income? Yeah, that son of a biscuit will pander to anyone and anything if it holds out money.

So, spare me with this holier then thou crap on just another celebutard athlete. I'm not perfect and I do not have many morals but I don't ask anyone else to live up to an example I set, nor do I expect them to and I am pretty certain I am no role model.

Screw Lebron James and his diva crap.

tumblr_n4t3z8MwiJ1rsqvujo1_400.jpg

#BiggerthanBasketball

see and thats another one of your #hashtag crap. So many gullible kids will look at that and think he really is just like a slave workin' fo masta.

But, he's making a ton of money in a profession he chose. He's come a long way from Winston-Salem; and yes, I did follow his career from HS, as well. His grandfather was murdered his junior or senior year and in honor of that he shot something like 80 something points for every year his grandfather lived. He scored it on a free throw and purposely missed the second shot so he got his number.

I agree with this sentiment. Lebron and espns coverage of him is comical. If a thought forms in lebron's head, it's front page news on espn.com. He's getting annoying.

Of course, when a basketball player has a thought, it's a rare and newsworthy event.

Did anyone watch the game last night? Think the refs are out to get Sterling too?

What a strange ending to that game. Wow.

I read about this "rip off" all day and then finally saw it on PTI...........I don't get it. It was a close call at worst.

I read about this "rip off" all day and then finally saw it on PTI...........I don't get it. It was a close call at worst.

36 free throws for the Thunder to 20 for the Clippers, Durant was not making any shots at all, so he was awarded a crap ton of free throws. Westbrook wildly went to the basket all game long and received several crap and one calls. DeANdre Jordan got called for a moving pick on offense 3 times. Steve Kerr was bewildered on a play at the end of the first half where the referees made an interpretation of a clear path foul that he had never seen before.

The refs completely jobbed the CLippers the whole game, there was no doubt about it.

see and thats another one of your #hashtag crap. So many gullible kids will look at that and think he really is just like a slave workin' fo masta.

It's satire...and your response is "But think of the children!"?

it's always been told that in actuality, the braves became the celtics and the celtics became the clippers....

Yeah, pretty much. I didn't know how that happened............Owner's meeting, they secretly made a deal - Hollywood guy wanted out of Boston and to own a team in CA. But, obviously couldn't move the Celts. John Y Brown just wanted out of Buffalo. So, they simply switched teams, and the Hollywood guy moved the Braves to San Diego.

It wasn't part of the original deal, but a separate one a week or two later, where they made that massive trade of players. (I have no idea why)