Donald Sterling - LA Clippers owner

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep....anything said in regards to hot button issues such as racism or homosexuality will result in forfeiture of all assets to the tolerance police of the interwebs.

Greggy T and his crew don't play around. Heads will roll.

That's not even close to what happened here. I'd call it a fantasy version of events but that would be giving your creativity too much credit. Sadly, I know this is what you believe and it's why I find you hilarious.

That's not even close to what happened here. I'd call it a fantasy version of events but that would be giving your creativity too much credit. Sadly, I know this is what you believe and it's why I find you hilarious.

So what happened exactly? A private conversation was recorded (illegally) and now they went after him (based on illegally recorded audio). You think he won't fight tooth and nail and this won't be ugly?

I'm curious how zealous you are to destroy Charles Barkley for stating publicly that he, "hates white people", or LeBron James for saying that gays, "can't be trusted".

These statements were given freely, in public interviews, mind you.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I'm curious how zealous you are to destroy Charles Barkley for stating publicly that he, "hates white people", or LeBron James for saying that gays, "can't be trusted".

If it didn't pass on Jon Stewart, he never saw it.

Edited by meazza

Sterling is an idiot. If he just said he hated fundamentalist Muslims, he would've gotten fined 2 basketballs and a pair of Jordan's.

So what happened exactly? A private conversation was recorded (illegally) and now they went after him (based on illegally recorded audio). You think he won't fight tooth and nail and this won't be ugly?

The legality of the tape is irrelevant once sponsors started pulling out. The NBA is a business, with bylaws and codes of conduct that Sterling was in blatant violation of according to NBA lawyers and the commissioner. The NBA had to act, decisively and immediately in order to protect their brand.

Sterling is litigious by nature, he fights everything -- from paying coaches to how he conducts his off the court businesses. I fully expect him to sue, but he has no case if he's in violation of the bylaws as the league suggests. Personally I hope he just cashes out and rides off into the sunset; but that doesn't mean I expect it to happen.

Who says I'm zealous to destroy Sterling? There's a difference between finding joy in watching someone trip over their own dick and wanting to destroy someone. Sterling has only himself to blame, no one "destroyed" Donald but Donald himself.

If it didn't pass on Jon Stewart, he never saw it.

:lol: :lol:

Get ugly for who? So what if he fights it. You think it wouldn't get ugly if the NBA did nothing?

Since you were busted passing along misinformation about this guys political affiliation, can you please show us proof that these two ball players said what you said they said. And please, not newsmax

Interesting how such an enlightened, understanding, and compassionate liberal like yourself derives so much pleasure from the suffering of others. Yours seems a narrow minded POV, but perhaps I just don't understand your rationale for finding this a just and equitable outcome. Can you explain it to me?

Didn't think so.

Sterling is an idiot. If he just said he hated fundamentalist Muslims, he would've gotten fined 2 basketballs and a pair of Jordan's.

The fines are capped at $2.5 million. Let's not get too crazy here.

Didn't think so.

You can't expect to be a leader of a an organization and say things like that that are so insulting to your employees and fan base. Common sense really. Baskin was right about this being a business decision.

from BernardGoldberg.com:

So Donald Sterling got what amounts to the death sentence. Banned for life by the NBA.
His ugly remarks are proof, as I’ve said before, not that racism is alive and well in America, but rather that racism is on its last leg.
The man has been publicly branded a pariah. The American people have made him an outcast. You think any of that would have happened if we really were a racist nation, as some would have us believe?

But now that he’s gone, I’m wondering who else among us has said things in the privacy of our homes that would get us in trouble if somebody recorded them and made our remarks public.

Rest assured, I’ve never ever said anything that might even vaguely be construed as politically incorrect. But I’ll bet you have.

And I’ll bet a lot of players in the NBA have.

I’ll bet a lot of politicians have, too.

I’ll bet white people have and black people have and Latino people have and straight people have and gay people have.

So what lesson should we take of the public flogging of Donald Sterling, as deserved as it was?

How about this: If anyone – an accountant, a garbage man, an MSNBC host, a college professor, an attorney general, a president, a truck driver . . . anyone! . . . says something racist in the privacy of his or her home, and if it somehow becomes public information, that person should lose his or her job and his or her livelihood – because racist words cannot be tolerated in America, not in 2014.

I understand that Sterling had a high-profile job and that the NBA is pretty much a black league. So his dumb remarks were especially hurtful. But if we want to stamp out racism, what better way than to hold everybody accountable for what they say – no matter where they say it?

I am confused, however, about why there is no universal condemnation of athletes who father children in every city in the league. Or of athletes who beat up their girlfriends. Or of athletes who drive drunk and kill people.
I guess none of those things warrant the moral outrage that bigoted words uttered by a foolish old man in private warrant.

But let me be clear: I’m outraged over what Donald Sterling said. Really, really outraged. I say this because if anyone thinks I’m less than really, really outraged because of anything I’ve written here, I might get in really, really big trouble.

Keep reading this post . . .

Edited by B-Man

You can't expect to be a leader of a an organization and say things like that that are so insulting to your employees and fan base. Common sense really. Baskin was right about this being a business decision.

If he'd said it in a public statement I'd see your point, but he didn't, so how do you get there?

If he'd said it in a public statement I'd see your point, but he didn't, so how do you get there?

Did it get into the public? The dude should have been more careful with who he was talking to. This wasn't his diary he was confiding to

Illegally...

Not illegally according to the latest news, he requested his conversations be recorded by his girlfriend, only magnifying the stupidity of the man.

But besides, the legality of the tape does not matter to the NBA, they had to act to protect their brand once sponsors started to pull out en mass. Or are you suggesting that the NBA should have just ridden it out, at the expense of the other 29 owners, teams, employees, and players?

Didn't read through it all and I'm an ole timer.....

But anyone else here think the Clippers should have stayed in Buffalo where they were born???

Then, maybe none of this crap would have happened....

Not illegally according to the latest news, he requested his conversations be recorded by his girlfriend, only magnifying the stupidity of the man.

But besides, the legality of the tape does not matter to the NBA, they had to act to protect their brand once sponsors started to pull out en mass. Or are you suggesting that the NBA should have just ridden it out, at the expense of the other 29 owners, teams, employees, and players?

I'm still surprised people actually walk basketball.