Do teams usually issue a statement when a player gets divorced?

Maybe it was a public service announcement to the rest of the younger players who are still under their rookie contract. For proven players, half of their rookie contract is a lot less than half of their next contract. So, get out before it becomes more expensive! :devil:

I find this odd.

Bob Condotta@bcondotta 46m

Quick blog post up with Russell Wilson divorce news and full statement: http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2014/04/23/russell-wilson-files-for-divorce/

Deadspin@Deadspin 2m

Russell Wilson is getting a divorce. Why did the Seahawks announce this? http://deadsp.in/3cQ7Ju5

I'd guess he requested it. I could see him wanting to go through the teams PR staff given his leadership position. If manning, or brees got divorced it'd be different than Chris hogan, if that makes sense.

Perhaps he wants to get out in front of that new contract....

Maybe it was a public service announcement to the rest of the younger players who are still under their rookie contract. For proven players, half of their rookie contract is a lot less than half of their next contract. So, get out before it becomes more expensive! :devil:

Yep he is only 25...

perhaps he is comming out of the closet and he is breaking it slowly?

I don't mean to be anal about it, but I doubt he is trying to soften the blow. Probably just covering his ass so he doesn't take one in the butt from her lawyers. Best to finish now before he gets his big money shot, so instead of sucking on the field because he's distracted, he can instead focus on the come from behind victories.

I don't mean to be anal about it, but I doubt he is trying to soften the blow. Probably just covering his ass so he doesn't take one in the butt from her lawyers. Best to finish now before he gets his big money shot, so instead of sucking on the field because he's distracted, he can instead focus on the come from behind victories.

well done sir

Not odd at all. Living in a big sports town, stuff like this is front page news, esp when it involves your star QB. When roethlisberger got married and then had a kid, it was front page news.

I get that for happy news like a wedding or birth if a baby that the player would want to share that with the public and that the community would want to see pictures, etc. But it seems strange that you would think Wilson would want privacy with this. I agree with the poster who said perhaps he requested it so that it didn't come out via TMZ but I still don't recall a team ever issuing a statement about a divorce. But then again maybe I just wasn't paying attention - Twitter has changed everything.

I get that for happy news like a wedding or birth if a baby that the player would want to share that with the public and that the community would want to see pictures, etc. But it seems strange that you would think Wilson would want privacy with this. I agree with the poster who said perhaps he requested it so that it didn't come out via TMZ but I still don't recall a team ever issuing a statement about a divorce. But then again maybe I just wasn't paying attention - Twitter has changed everything.

I want to say the saints did with Sean Payton.... But really, I think the issue remembering instances is two fold 1) it doesn't happen that often mid career for a face of the franchise 2) even if it did, we'd probably all holds over it pretty quick and barely remember where we got the news if we remembered the news at all