What would be the impact of Disclosure on your politics?

I don't know with whom he was speaking at the time, but Fermi suggested that the reason we haven't ever seen a sign of extraterrestrial life is because a technologically advanced civilization would likely blow itself into extinction before it reached the point where they would be capable of interstellar travel or communication. it's not a very inspiring thought, is it?

You should look into Fermi a bit more... you'd be surprised to find this is not how he truly felt. It was in fact much, much, much more alarming and depressing.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should look into Fermi a bit more... you'd be surprised to find this is not how he truly felt. It was in fact much, much, much more alarming and depressing.

really? worse than that? as if what I was talking about wasn't depressing enough already.

really? worse than that? as if what I was talking about wasn't depressing enough already.

Fermi did not doubt the existence of sentient life elsewhere in the universe. As a man of science he knew the universe was too large and the opportunity for life too abundant to believe otherwise. Wernher von Braun, the man who got us to the moon and built the first intercontinental rockets for the Germans in WWII, used to talk about the existence of life in the universe at great length with Fermi.

After these conversations with von Braun, he privately admitted the more probable scenario isn't one of constant self destruction (statistically one or two would have made it past the point of technological infancy -- if not hundreds based on how many planet we now know are actually out there) but rather that they were silenced by someone else. Someone who smites any such technologically advanced species before they can pollute the rest of the universe. Meaning, he was way more of a pessimist than his paradox implies.

His fears are echoed today by the likes of Hawkins and others who say announcing our presence to the rest of the universe would be a poor decision, one that would end quite badly for us.

Fermi did not doubt the existence of sentient life elsewhere in the universe. As a man of science he knew the universe was too large and the opportunity for life too abundant to believe otherwise. Wernher von Braun, the man who got us to the moon and built the first intercontinental rockets for the Germans in WWII, used to talk about the existence of life in the universe at great length with Fermi.

After these conversations with von Braun, he privately admitted the more probable scenario isn't one of constant self destruction (statistically one or two would have made it past the point of technological infancy -- if not hundreds based on how many planet we now know are actually out there) but rather that they were silenced by someone else. Someone who smites any such technologically advanced species before they can pollute the rest of the universe. Meaning, he was way more of a pessimist than his paradox implies.

His fears are echoed today by the likes of Hawkins and others who say announcing our presence to the rest of the universe would be a poor decision, one that would end quite badly for us.

German intercontinental rockets? Are those the ones they used to bomb Pearl Harbor?

I've not heard any of that, but it's pretty chilling to think about.

on the other hand, it would have made it a more interesting story when the Vulcans discovered the warp signature from Zephram Cochrain's first trans-warp flight.

This is a great topic.

The Fermi Paradox can really be debated or discussed endlessly.

For me it is hard to believe that traversing the galaxy is prohibitive based on our science seeing that what we understand about science on a universal scale has to equate to handful of sand on a ten mile beach.

The idea that we wouldn't want contact because it would mean annihilation is a scary thought but based on our history when one civilization meets another it usually ends badly for one of them. That could work the other way too where first contact would be avoided because there would be no way to predict how our civilization would respond.

Personally I believe that some knowledge probably does exist in our world for someone but on a large scale our development is probably too insignificant for the majority of extra terrestrial life to take any interest in us.

I think Earth would become much more peaceful if/when we are presented with absolute proof of alien life.

How so? Human nature is typically pretty violent and territorial. How is the proof of aliens going to change our DNA? I think you guys have been watching too many movies.

How so? Human nature is typically pretty violent and territorial. How is the proof of aliens going to change our DNA? I think you guys have been watching too many movies.

Because the alien species could be a threat if they have the technology to be here.