Jimbo ready to bid on the Bills

Of course John - it is obvious (at least to me and I assume most everyone) that Jim Kelly has for a long, long time now, had a plan in place hence his repeated insistence, "that money will not be a problem". What has surprised me (and perhaps the Kellys?) is the number of other groups (apparently) that would like Jim to join "their team". My GUESS would be that Jim will LISTEN to other offers but will likely stay with the (for us unknown) "money group" he put together years ago. I am very confident Jim's major goal is to win the bidding war and to align himself with the ownership team most likely to keep the team in Buffalo. The Trump bit of things are probably only a distraction. I doubt he was ever part of Jim's original money team.

People are understandably edgy wanting to hear definitive news. Always appreciate your stories, John! Keep 'em coming. -RichNJoisy (CNJBBB)

This would imply otherwise ...

Jim is not aligned with any group yet. We get approached almost every day by someone. We’re flattered and honored,” Dan Kelly said.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would imply otherwise ...

Or this simply means he has not announced he is aligned with any group. Look - if you want to believe Jim never spoke to any investors prior to Wilson's death AND that Jim was either

lying or merely speculating when he made the same statement over and over (money is not an issue) - feel free.

I do not believe it , however, and we will simply have to agree to disagree.

Or this simply means he has not announced he is aligned with any group. Look - if you want to believe Jim never spoke to any investors prior to Wilson's death AND that Jim was either

lying or merely speculating when he made the same statement over and over (money is not an issue) - feel free.

I do not believe it , however, and we will simply have to agree to disagree.

Oh I believe that he spoke to a great many people and continues to do so. The existence of a "Kelly Group" that has it's financial ducks in a row is what I doubt. Particularly given the statements made by Dan Kelly. If it did exist, the wheels would already be in motion and we would not be hearing things like Jim is not aligned with any group. In my opinion anyway.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Wake me up when one of our local "journalists" actually does some real reporting instead of rehashing what we all know -- Trump is interested, so is Bon Jovi, we don't know about Jacobs, there are supposedly 10 others that have inquired, Kelly will hook up with one of the groups, yada, yada, yada !! ..... How about some investigating into these CRITICAL questions: (1) What role will Mary Wilson play in determining WHO the Bills are sold to ? (2) If Mary doesn't determine who, and it's up to the trust, who then decides who is selected as the buyer ? (3) Is the process an open or closed bid ? (4) does the team have to get sold to the highest bidder ? --- we all on the boards know that whoever it is sold to will undoubtedly need approval from 24/32 NFL owners -- but start reporting on those 4 critical questions --- instead of rehashing old news

i know all the answers and more, but not willing to share them because of your attitude here. so you've spoiled it for everyone.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

I wonder, while a lot of people are putting in bids, Mary Wilson can choose who to sell to. Money may not be the only story.

Mary is the trustee... which means she has a fiduciary responsibility to the trust. Legally, she can't just pick a lowball offer because she likes the bidder. Unless of course, there's some verbiage in the trust (or Ralph's will) that favors a buyer intent on keeping the team in WNY.

feel better about yourself, telling me off. odd, that there are some here on the board who do appreciate my postings. i'll continue despite you, and/or perhaps to spite you.

jw

Thanks John. Always appreciate your insight on here. You have come to a crossroads and you have chosen a different path than Tim Graham and for that I respect you.

I wonder if investors such as JK are required to sign confidentiality agreements as part of signing on to be an investor in given group. Most likely, but if not, I'd advise him to be selective, but to put his stamp of approval on MULTIPLE groups that he's comfortable with. Why box yourself in to just one group if you don't have to settle on just one?

I wonder if investors such as JK are required to sign confidentiality agreements as part of signing on to be an investor in given group. Most likely, but if not, I'd advise him to be selective, but to put his stamp of approval on MULTIPLE groups that he's comfortable with. Why box yourself in to just one group if you don't have to settle on just one?

I would guess he is probably doing this. Yes it will leave a bad taste to some but you don't put all your eggs in one basket.

feel better about yourself, telling me off. odd, that there are some here on the board who do appreciate my postings. i'll continue despite you, and/or perhaps to spite you.

jw

Not sure why my post is bothering you ? I was only asking, actually imploring you, as a member of the media to do more investigative pieces on the sale, so that those of us without your access can understand the process more, articles like the one you wrote provide no insight or information, it's a regurgitation of what is already in the public domain, you can do better and we need you to do better. I also find it funny, for a person who is part of a profession that analyzes what others do on a regular basis and critiques their performance, that you seem to be very thinned skin when it comes to your own work. I've lurked on this board for several years and only started to post over the last year and I've seen you constantly insult in a very condescending way, people on this board who either disagree with you or choose to criticize your work. You've chosen a profession that lends itself to public review and in some cases, criticism, grow up and deal with it like the professional you should be. Finally, I hope you continue to post on this board, I value your opinion and perspective just like I do others on this board, but don't expect me or others to hold back on our feedback (good and bad) on what you say on this board and what you write for the AP.

I will share a few thoughts here and this is just my speculation and the little bit of gathering together of the kiddy pool of information I have read thus far here both in the past and present.

I have to think JK's ownership group may not be intended to own the Bills. At least not flat out to where he controls them or has some major say at the end of the day. His check book isn't that big. I think it more or less, along the lines, he is going to help work to steer the group that is purchasing the Bills. That he will either be in front of the car or sitting shotgun. That he will either help clear the path for the right owner to come in who has the best of intentions for WNY and the Bills or he will be sitting with that person and helping them to make the right inroads to acquiring the team.

All of that may not matter because with big money comes big egos and if you're buying an NFL team you're not doing it to make a huge windfall, though the league and teams are very successful. You're doing it because you want to be an NFL owner. That ego - the one that would buy an NFL team might not have a place for Jim Kelly. Bon Jovi, PDiddy, Rogers, whoever - would probably do anything they could to keep Kelly out of this decision. I most likely think that Kelly is involved.

It sounds really cool, though. An NFL team owned by former players. Imagine it... Jim Kelly, Cornelius Bennett, Steve Tasker, Andre Reed, Bruce Smith, Joe D, Jack Kemp's estate, OJ Simpson...being the owners.

Not sure why my post is bothering you ? I was only asking, actually imploring you, as a member of the media to do more investigative pieces on the sale, so that those of us without your access can understand the process more, articles like the one you wrote provide no insight or information, it's a regurgitation of what is already in the public domain, you can do better and we need you to do better. I also find it funny, for a person who is part of a profession that analyzes what others do on a regular basis and critiques their performance, that you seem to be very thinned skin when it comes to your own work. I've lurked on this board for several years and only started to post over the last year and I've seen you constantly insult in a very condescending way, people on this board who either disagree with you or choose to criticize your work. You've chosen a profession that lends itself to public review and in some cases, criticism, grow up and deal with it like the professional you should be. Finally, I hope you continue to post on this board, I value your opinion and perspective just like I do others on this board, but don't expect me or others to hold back on our feedback (good and bad) on what you say on this board and what you write for the AP.

geez, the journalism profession you speak of seems so easy, where information just falls from the sky, and all the questions are tied up and answered so easily, as if by the wavef of some magic wand.

you implore me you say. good for you. implore all you want, but you're imploring doesn't pay my bills. you demand answers to questions as if they are easily asked. as if we live in some sort of movie-version of journalism where you can go to the corner store and buy a deep throat off the shelf. how about you stop trying to insult me with your implorations and attempt to understand how my job works.

thin-skinned, sure, with yahoos like you who have difficulty separating speculation and fact. i don't deal in speculation. i pin down the facts. but, of course, you know better.

like WEO, you pretend to understand exactly who i've talked to and where my stories are coming from. perhaps, it's easy and convenient to be part of a message board where posts can be debated ad naseum. i don't deal with posts. i deal with people, and getting close to those people in the know. and there are times when someone may know something without direct knowledge and it takes days, perhaps weeks, to pin that information down.

we at the AP would rather be cautious than wrong. if we're not first, at least we can be right. but you don't understand that, because you seem to think that we in the business have Mary Wilson on speed dial. good for you. call me thin-skinned. but keep in mind that i will argue that, based on your posts, you have no idea of where i'm coming from or what my job entails.

so there, we're even. i'm regurgitating stuff, and you're speaking out of your blow-hole.

there, i didn't hold back either.

jw

i'd even suggest that there was more to last weekend's story that, as a result of double-checking and asking questions, that we elected to take out. but you wouldn't believe that anyway because all we do here is sit around and interact with our critics on message boards. believe what you want.

Edited by john wawrow

i know all the answers and more, but not willing to share them because of your attitude here. so you've spoiled it for everyone.

jw

And with that, TXBILLSFAN joins the pantheon of people who have just plain ruined it for everybody:

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/93/93druining.phtml

Unfortunately, the SNL transcript will have to do, because the actual video appears blocked on YouTube.

Hey TXBILLSFAN - - FWIW, both my Darryl brothers are far more upset with Bob Poochie than with you (if you read the SNL transcript you'll see why)

Not sure why my post is bothering you ? ...

but on a more serious note, i guess by your imploring, you don't appreciate the fact that there is not enough time in a day or a week to track down all this information, while spending time covering other matters, be it the trade for Mike Williams, the end of the Sabres season, spending what free time i have with my wife or rushing off to spend a weekend with a sick relative before rushing back to make sure i'm here to cover Ted Nolan's contract extension less than a week after Ralph Wilson's death.

but why get into all those details, when all you demand are answers.

a little touchy, gdam straight i am.

jw

Been asking the same thing for weeks now. If the trust allows Mary Wilson the discretion, I gotta believe it doesn't just go to the highest bidder and a party that intends to keep it in Buffalo would have the inside track. I also have a strong feeling the league has already vetted a serious contender.

GO BILLS!!!

The other owners have to approve any sale.

If I understand it correctly, the trust can sell to whomever they want, as long as the buyer pays fair market value. It shouldn't have to go to the highest bidder.

If the team is worth $850 million (don't know the exact number, but we'll use that for now), then the trust can sell to a buyer that offers $900 million and the promise to keep the team in Buffalo over (for example) Donald Trump or a buyer that offers $1 billion without any guarantee to keep the team in Buffalo.

This is how I understand it, but I may have missed a detail or two in the explanation I heard.