Marcel Dareus - 5th year option by May 3

Given how guys find trouble this time of year, I'm guessing a good chunk of the leagues GMs will wait til the deadline- really no reason to put in the papers til you have to.... And no reason for them to discuss it until they file,

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see any reason not to do this. If they want to extend him this is one less year that they will need to work on for the extension. If they don't want to extend him it is one more year they will have him around for. Being late to meetings doesn't strike me as big enough trouble to not keep him around. Especially with some of the character questionable guys they brought on board this offseason.

the 5th year option for Dareus is about $7 mil

he is worth it.

Isn't it at the transition tag number for top ten picks? For 2014 those numbers are:

Quarterback: $14.666 million

Running back: $8.033 million

Wide receiver: $10.176 million

Tight end: $6.106 million

Offensive lineman: $10.039 million

Defensive end: $10.633 million

Defensive tackle: $8.060 million

Linebacker: $9.754 million

Cornerback: $10.081 million

Safety: $7.253 million

Kicker/punter: $3.205 million

Why would it be only 7m? On the horizon we will be discussing this for Gilmore next year, just crossing the mind since the numbers are in front of me

Edited by NoSaint

Complete no-brainer to pick up the 5th year option on Dareus at only 7 million dollars. Will give them more time to negotiate a long term deal to keep him in Buffalo for a long time.

After a so-so rookie year & a "wait & see" 2nd year, he really broke out last season IMO. He put all the pieces together and made the Pro-Bowl. 6'3, 331lb DT's like Dareus don't grow on trees... there is a reason he went 3rd overall. Last season was just the beginning for this kid and I truly think the sky is the limit for him. 71 tackles to go along with 7.5 sacks is outstanding for a NT/DT like Dareus. Even with his so-so start to his career, he already has 18.5 sacks. Just outstanding for a DT/NT. Having a pair of DT's with elite pass rushing ability like Dareus and Williams is amazing . Nothing flusters a QB more then consistent pressure up the middle... They can't step into the throw & taking hits from 330lb DT's is a nightmare scenario.

I think he enters the elite tier of defensive linemen this season. He can dominate at the line of scrimmage & beat double teams pretty easily. He was among 3 pro-bowlers on the line & these guys just feed off each other. Williams isn't getting any younger entering his 10th season so keeping Dareus around is key.

Edited by smapdi

The Bills have two weeks to pick up Dareus's 5th year option. Several of the players taken in the 1st rd of 2011 have had their options picked up. Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 13h

#Texans exercised 5th-year option for JJ Watt, per his contract (as @FieldYates said). Jets did with Mo Wilkerson. Ravens & Jimmy Smith, too. Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 13h

Among the 2011 first-rounders, DT Corey Liuget also had his 5th-year option picked up by the #Chargers. That’s it for the group so far.

SF is not expected to pick up Aldon Smith's, which is probably not a surprise due to his issues.

I wonder what is going to happen with Dareus. Frankly, I am getting worried. I know they can still extend him. But not sure how the 5th year option works as it seems it is a positive thing if they pick it up and a negative thing if they don't based on the above.

They should pick it up just to keep him in house for future negotiation purposes. He has been inconsistent thus far so if does the same we can cut em anyway and if he tears it up we can negotiate a long term deal.

Don't worry. It's the way they do business under Whaley. He has said he wants to keep good players and be proactive about it.

I don't think Dareus is going anywhere.

Byrd, Leveitre?

They should pick it up just to keep him in house for future negotiation purposes. He has been inconsistent thus far so if does the same we can cut em anyway and if he tears it up we can negotiate a long term deal.

Byrd, Leveitre?

It wasn't Whaley's decision to be able to be "proactive" with either of these players. Nix was in that chair when talks began with both, if I am not mistaken.

Isn't it at the transition tag number for top ten picks? For 2014 those numbers are:

Quarterback: $14.666 million

Running back: $8.033 million

Wide receiver: $10.176 million

Tight end: $6.106 million

Offensive lineman: $10.039 million

Defensive end: $10.633 million

Defensive tackle: $8.060 million

Linebacker: $9.754 million

Cornerback: $10.081 million

Safety: $7.253 million

Kicker/punter: $3.205 million

Why would it be only 7m? On the horizon we will be discussing this for Gilmore next year, just crossing the mind since the numbers are in front of me

Those are some big #s. Glad Whaley is being careful in FA so we have the cap room going forward, EJ could potentially be another one we need to pick up the option on (hoping).

I just don't see any reason not to do this. If they want to extend him this is one less year that they will need to work on for the extension. If they don't want to extend him it is one more year they will have him around for. Being late to meetings doesn't strike me as big enough trouble to not keep him around. Especially with some of the character questionable guys they brought on board this offseason.

+1. I know the Mike Williams deal can be trashed after this season if necessary and a long term deal with Dareus is more of an investment, but if it is only being late to meetings I would hope the coaching staff can find a way to rectify this as he is a valuable part of the defense.

I'd be shocked but not surprised if they didn't pick up his option. It's certainly a possibility at this point, given the coaches and some vets on the team have been frustrated by him at times. I'm not convinced this staff is all in on him.

GO BILLS!!!

I question whether or not they are dragging it out just to make him think they are having a hard time with the decision? Just to send a message about overall way to handle his business, being late and anything else that may be out there.

It's seems like a no brainer and cost savings, especially if they have an unwillingness to give out large bonus' right now. (Just a guess).

I'd rather see a long extension, I believe he is eligible now?

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

We might be making a choice between Mario, and a couple of our young guys (Dareus, Gilmore, etc) in the near future.

Gilmore has not shown me that he is a top dog in this league. Maybe he will live up to the Bills hype on him......but he has not yet.

It wasn't Whaley's decision to be able to be "proactive" with either of these players. Nix was in that chair when talks began with both, if I am not mistaken.

Those are some big #s. Glad Whaley is being careful in FA so we have the cap room going forward, EJ could potentially be another one we need to pick up the option on (hoping).

Ej isn't a top ten pick so I believe it's at the average of guys 4-25 at the position or some calculation like that (essentially average starter, eliminating the top and bottom contracts).... Still curious where the 7m came from, and if I'm off on the process or not

That aside, we can be much less conservative and still be fine.....

A random "thinking out loud" again.... This process could be another spot we see the TE vs WR tag get pushed

Edited by NoSaint

+1. I know the Mike Williams deal can be trashed after this season if necessary and a long term deal with Dareus is more of an investment, but if it is only being late to meetings I would hope the coaching staff can find a way to rectify this as he is a valuable part of the defense.

I did some more thinking about this subject.

Vets report tomorrow for some voluntary workouts. Perhaps the team is waiting to see if he shows, what kind of shape he is in, his demeanor, etc... Perhaps the next week and a half will go a long way to showing the team whether he is worth the investment.

Just thinking out loud but it makes sense to me that they want to gather as much info as possible before making the decision.

(I have officially stepped back from the ledge lol)

Vets report tomorrow for some voluntary workouts. Perhaps the team is waiting to see if he shows, what kind of shape he is in, his demeanor, etc... Perhaps the next week and a half will go a long way to showing the team whether he is worth the investment.

Just thinking out loud but it makes sense to me that they want to gather as much info as possible before making the decision.

The Lions have publicly stated that they will not use the option on Fairley because they want him more motivated. Not a terrible line of thinking, really. I still like the idea of picking up Dareus' option, but holding off a little longer makes sense.

Sure, it makes sense to take as long as needed if there are any question marks. I just look at things like them deliberately bringing in Spikes who also has been known for these types of things (and more) and wonder if that is the only thing holding them back, let's find a way to get it all to work so we have the best possible players on the field.