LT/RT Mathews or TE Ebron in R1??

I also want to add...

For those of you pounding the table for a RT in the top-10 this year...DO NOT BE MAD at Cordy Glenn when he realizes he was screwed and decides he does not want to renew his contract as a RT with the Bills, instead deciding to go to free agency as soon as he can, as a LT.

If he doesn't request a trade before then...most likely as soon as the Bills draft Matthews or Lewan.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not really difficult......

Mathews (if he is even there for us) is the kind of plug and play OT that can play LT and could possibly be a multiple pro bowler at RT......he isnt a safe pick because he might be good....he is a safe pick because he might be DOMINANT at his position.

to the terribly misinformed poster above.....Mathews will play WHERE HE IS TOLD TO PLAY....we are not talking about a next year free agent here. Pass rushers get lined up over RT nowadays and teams have to account for that.

If Mathews is gone I wouldnt hate Ebron......but do we look at Ebron and say "multi time pro bowler"? I dont

I would take LEWAN over Ebron

Yes I can see him doing exactly that. You just do not take RT's in the top 10. your suggestion in italics is my idea scenario as well. But who knows, maybe Buffalo says screw common sense and takes a RT at #9, in this passing league they took a non full time RB at #9 a few years back so who knows right?

Yes because there is actually a precidence of this happening in the past....a rookie holding out because he doenst get HIS spot......

NAME ONE or stop this

I also want to add...

For those of you pounding the table for a RT in the top-10 this year...DO NOT BE MAD at Cordy Glenn when he realizes he was screwed and decides he does not want to renew his contract as a RT with the Bills, instead deciding to go to free agency as soon as he can, as a LT.

If he doesn't request a trade before then...most likely as soon as the Bills draft Matthews or Lewan.

Even though I said this like 4 times during our Shoutbox discussion, I'll say it once again:

Cordy Glenn is NOT moving to RT, even if the team drafts Matthews.

Why do you insist that is the case?

My order of preference for the top 9 picks is:

MY War Room Draft Board

1. OT Robinson.......A Franchise player

2. LB Mack.............Adding Mack would give the Bills one of the Best front 7's

3. DE Clowney .......Most likely will be gone

4. WR Watkins.........Most likely will be gone..But we can dream like the #3 pick

5. OT Matthews......He can play right or left tackle...in case Glenn goes down.. Bills need solid bookends to have a great line.. and to keep the QB on his feet

6. OT Lewan ......... A great athlete and can play both right and left tackle..

7. WR Evans...........Bills need a big receiver

8. TE Ebron ......... Bills need a big receive...... Evan is better than Ebron

9. LB Mosley..........Mosley would make the Bills run defense greatly improved ... He and Alonzo would make a great tandem .....

I also want to add...

I honestly doubt he'd be too concerned as long as they offer him LT money.

This is not really difficult......

Mathews (if he is even there for us) is the kind of plug and play OT that can play LT and could possibly be a multiple pro bowler at RT......he isnt a safe pick because he might be good....he is a safe pick because he might be DOMINANT at his position.

to the terribly misinformed poster above.....Mathews will play WHERE HE IS TOLD TO PLAY....we are not talking about a next year free agent here. Pass rushers get lined up over RT nowadays and teams have to account for that.

If Mathews is gone I wouldnt hate Ebron......but do we look at Ebron and say "multi time pro bowler"? I dont

I would take LEWAN over Ebron

Yes because there is actually a precidence of this happening in the past....a rookie holding out because he doenst get HIS spot......

NAME ONE or stop this

I'm sorry, but when look at Jake Matthews I just don't see a "dominant" NFL OT. I see a guy who can play anywhere on the line and play solidly there for a long time with no issues. That is great, but at #9 overall? I wouldn't be angry if they took him, but I wouldn't be that happy either. I read that Matthews' best position is probably at center since he's smallish with shorter arms than you'd like at the tackle position.

Edited by 1billsfan

I'm sorry, but when look at Jake Matthews I just don't see a "dominant" NFL OT. I see a guy who can play anywhere on the line and play solidly there for a long time with no issues. That is great, but at #9 overall? I wouldn't be angry if they took him, but I wouldn't be that happy either. I read that Matthews' best position is probably at center since he's smallish with shorter arms than you'd like at the tackle position.

Yes this is why analysts have already said that the "top 3 OTs" would have gone before either of the "top 2 OTs" of last years draft....which were both drafted in the top 5

Even though I said this like 4 times during our Shoutbox discussion, I'll say it once again:

Cordy Glenn is NOT moving to RT, even if the team drafts Matthews.

Why do you insist that is the case?

Because it totally kills their arguement!

Yes this is why analysts have already said that the "top 3 OTs" would have gone before either of the "top 2 OTs" of last years draft....which were both drafted in the top 5

I think a lot of these guys on tv sometimes say stuff in an attempt to sound shocking. I can see Robinson being head and shoulders above last year, I certainly do not see Matthews or Lewan that way.

I think a lot of these guys on tv sometimes say stuff in an attempt to sound shocking. I can see Robinson being head and shoulders above last year, I certainly do not see Matthews or Lewan that way.

Last year Lewan was talked about as a potential top pick before he announced he was going back to college, at which point Joeckle became the consensus guy.

Matthews has played RT and there is nothing to indicate that he wouldn't play right tackle. I just don't think he will last to 9...but if he does I'd take him. If he isn't there I'd take Lewan...If neither is there I'd go for the best wide receiver available over Ebron.

I'm getting some commentary on Twitter (which I agree with) that our offense doesn't need a Chandler-Ebron to do the "Three-Tier Read" that Hackett uses. It will use two-three WRs (one deep, one intermediate route, one shallow) and just one TE. There are 3 reads on the play.

For a new QB to go through 3 reads, it takes time...given to you by a great OT.

I'm getting some commentary on Twitter (which I agree with) that our offense doesn't need a Chandler-Ebron to do the "Three-Tier Read" that Hackett uses. It will use two-three WRs (one deep, one intermediate route, one shallow) and just one TE. There are 3 reads on the play.

Outstanding contribution. Thank-you.

Like I've been saying, nobody needs an All Pro OT in the top 10 until your QB is constantly getting put on his back and missing numerous opportunities to make plays. Great OTs contribute on every down, making plays so playmakers can make theirs. It is beyond comprehension that this basic football tenet is lost on some.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

What are you talking about he will not agree? If they draft him and say "you're playing RT" he's going to hold out, miss a season and go back into the draft next year? I tend to doubt that. And if he's the best player on their board at 9 then why not draft him and, if deemed the right decision, put him at RT? That would potentially give the Bills one hell of an OL. I couldn't find fault in that.

Personally, I want the Bills to trade back, pick up another 2nd rounder and get Ebron, Mosely . Take an OT w/one of the 2nd round picks.

and this is exactly what I'm thinking. I'm leaning more toward Mosely.

If there are quality tackles in the second, then we really should try to trade down. I would then take Mosely because I'm looking at our division.

Our biggest problem was stopping the run and spikes is only on a one year deal. Imho, I think Mosely should be the pick.

As for the "O" we might have play makers already. Just need to solidify the o line.

However, I just believe Mosely would make more of an impact than a right tackle.

St. Louis is the team to watch out for regarding Mathews because Fisher is all too familiar with the Mathews' family football prowess. If Fisher doesn't take Mathews I think he could easily slide to the Bills at #9 because I really think that the teams selecting ahead of the Bills will not be able to resist the three QBs that I've mentioned above.

I would not trade down out of the #9 slot because after the first 9-10 picks the quality begins to dwindle noticeably.

Mathews is a franchise player. If he's anything close to the player that his dad was and that his brother is then you know what I'm talking about. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Mathews has very few if any question marks and can start immediately at both LT and RT.

Ebron has a few question marks, which is what tips the scale in Mathews' favor.

I don't see WR Evans in the same class as both Mathews and Ebron.

This draft should be about helping to make Buffalo's franchise player a better player and a player who can play through 16 games and beyond. If we're going to make the decision to go all in on EJ as our starting QB, which appears to be the case, then we had better surround him with better players.

I think Mathews, Ebron, and Evans all belong in the conversation, but I think Mathews helps to make EJ a better player more than the other two. Mathews would be our best OL. Anybody the Bills take in R2 would be lucky to be the 3rd or 4th best OL. That would not be improving the O-line very much.

With Mathews the Bills' starting O-line would look like this:

Glenn/C. Williams/Wood/Urbik/Mathews OR Mathews/Urbik/Wood/C. Williams/Glenn.

That group would greatly help to improve both the running game and the passing game and give EJ the best opportunity to improve and stay healthy.

If EJ can't stay healthy we're not going to win a whole lot of games.

gotta disagree with you on a couple points. As for bloodlines, look at the Matthew brothers.

As for 2nd round, look at Cordy Glenn. 2nd round and one of the best left tackles in the game.

Edited by qdawg in philly

Dear God let the draft get here. Mathews will not agree to play RT and you NEVER take a RIGHT TACKLE that high. If whaley does I am done with this team because he became flat stupid.

you continue to say this but are basing it on absolutely nothing...no rookie is going to come in and say I dont want to play RT and his salary will be the same as salaries are slotted now so he will be paid for where he is picked not if he plays left or right tackle

Mathews also played RT until this year when he switched to LT to replace Joekel

ppl need to stop thinking of it as right and left tackle and just think of it as drafting a tackle which they obviously need. the days of RT being less important are basically over with as much passing as there is in the league today and the spread offenses.

IMO, the Bills offense really needs a consistent game to game mismatch at the WR or TE position. They simply do not have that right now. Since Watkins will be gone and we already have our LT of the future in Glenn, it makes no sense to pass on Ebron with the knowledge that a very good RT prospect will be there at their second pick. If they're not picking Ebron, I'd almost rather they draft Aaron Donald than Matthews since the Pats and Jets will be heavy on the run game this year and we could use the extra help for that poor run defense. I don't like the thought of picking a RT at #9 at all.

IMO, the Bills offense really needs a consistent game to game mismatch at the WR or TE position. They simply do not have that right now. Since Watkins will be gone and we already have our LT of the future in Glenn, it makes no sense to pass on Ebron with the knowledge that a very good RT prospect will be there at their second pick. If they're not picking Ebron, I'd almost rather they draft Aaron Donald than Matthews since the Pats and Jets will be heavy on the run game this year and we could use the extra help for that poor run defense. I don't like the thought of picking a RT at #9 at all.

I dont know its like Astro gave you some insight he might have.....and you pushed it aside so that you can just believe what you want without even taking into consideration why he said it......

IN ORDER TO GET TO THAT THIRD READ.....you cant have Pears (or a lesser OT player) getting bullrushed into EJ Manuel

And we DO in fact have weapons on this team right now....two of them were rookies last year....one of them is Mike Williams.....and the forgotten man is Stevie Johnson

Edited by John from Hemet

Dear God let the draft get here. Mathews will not agree to play RT and you NEVER take a RIGHT TACKLE that high. If whaley does I am done with this team because he became flat stupid.

Dear God let them draft Matthews and convert him to RT so he will be done with this board.