Report: eagles tried to trade for spiller

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CJ Skillet can play football. There is no doubt. And an offense could be centered around his talent but cannot simply be based around his talent. CJ is best used as a multi purpose threat. His best years are when he split the end and ran pass routes. This is for a reason. When he is on the field and you're not sure what he is going to to you have no way to stop someone with his talent.

CJ is poised for a good year in 2014. And we need to be patient because the coaching staff may not understand just how great this guy is. Shirley, though, he has a monetary worth and that is what is going to be interesting come next year.

If we need to I will volunteer to fly up and help our coaching staff with Spiller. We need to give him space. And make him space all over the field.

CJ Skillet can play football. There is no doubt. And an offense could be centered around his talent but cannot simply be based around his talent. CJ is best used as a multi purpose threat. His best years are when he split the end and ran pass routes. This is for a reason. When he is on the field and you're not sure what he is going to to you have no way to stop someone with his talent.

CJ is poised for a good year in 2014. And we need to be patient because the coaching staff may not understand just how great this guy is. Shirley, though, he has a monetary worth and that is what is going to be interesting come next year.

If we need to I will volunteer to fly up and help our coaching staff with Spiller. We need to give him space. And make him space all over the field.

I've mentioned this before but the Lions used Reggie Bush really well last year. Maybe Schwartz is knowledge-sharing with Marrone.

I understand some of the criticism surrounding Spiller when it comes to injury concerns, but I never agree on the ability part. The Bills IMO need to build their offensive attack around Spiller as the centerpiece.

Who knows how far trade talks went, but there are now three coaching staffs who've not made Spiller a centerpiece of the offense. Clemson used Spiller in specific roles for 3 of his 4 years, as did Gailey until FJ went down in 2011. And last year, Marrone and Hackett managed to get him the ball 235 times in 15 games, somewhat the result of his being injured with that high ankle sprain.

Spiller is too nicked up to be a guy that gets 20 carries a game. I think the greatest limitation Spiller has is not physical.

Besides, how many years does it take a RB to "break out" and become a solid starter? Guy's been in the NFL 4 seasons now and couldn't get the starting gig until FJ was hurt.

Edited by BillsVet

I have an uneasy feeling he will have a career year and then we won't resign him, regardless.

I like some other fans get the impression that the coaching staff is looking at a different style of running back post FJ.

Speaking of which, it's going to be a really sad day Fred Jackson retires.

True, the Lions also benefited from the second greatest receiver of all time taking some of the focus away from Bush.

Certainly you're not suggesting that a viable passing game helps open up a running game, are you? Am I to believe that a 5,000 yard QB in this league with Megatron as a target might actually back a defense up a bit? Surely, you jest.

GO BILLS!!!

I still say he will be trade bait on Draft day. No way in hell do you trade him before then, value goes up during the draft. As I said I can see us moving more to a power running game and dont' be shocked when we draft RB this year at some point

I would be shocked if we DON'T draft an RB at some point, given that both of ours are UFA at the end of the season and Fred is 33. They have to take Fred's replacement even if they extend Spiller, IMO.

Besides, how many years does it take a RB to "break out" and become a solid starter? Guy's been in the NFL 4 seasons now and couldn't get the starting gig until FJ was hurt.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe it's time to take him for what he is, a solid number 2 back that has potential for a big play once in a while.

Speaking of which, it's going to be a really sad day Fred Jackson retires.

Sad that such a great player, leader and ambassador was wasted on such bad teams. I really hope he gets to play in a playoff game before it's all over for him.

Sad that such a great player, leader and ambassador was wasted on such bad teams. I really hope he gets to play in a playoff game before it's all over for him.

My thoughts as well. I hope he sees the playoffs with the Bills before he retires, retires a Bill, and then OBD offers him a role in some capacity so he never really leaves!

My thoughts exactly. Maybe it's time to take him for what he is, a solid number 2 back that has potential for a big play once in a while.

When your two RBs are splitting carries equally as part of a 1-2 punch approach, it doesn't matter who starts the game or not. They are 1 and 1a.

GO BILLS!!!

The whole assumption the coaching staff does not like Spiller is baseless and silly

Not like might be harsh. But this regime did not draft Spiller. And a situational skatback like Spiller does not seem, at least to me, to be a player someone like Marrone (and by extension his mini-me Hackett) would covet.

Not like might be harsh. But this regime did not draft Spiller. And a situational skatback like Spiller does not seem, at least to me, to be a player someone like Marrone (and by extension his mini-me Hackett) would covet.

Marrone would be recommending him (or not) and involved in the personnel decisions but the final decision would be Whaley's, I believe, on whether the Bills feel he is a valuable part of this team going forward.