Bills to work out Canisius Basketball F Chris Manhertz

dobsonfe

I did not find much but he was evidently good enough to get a profile on ESPN for football coming out of High School.

Anyone else who gets a chance to look or give some info about the guy I am one of many, likely, to want to hear about him.

He is a beast as an athlete. He certainly has the build of a football player. I have seen a lot of him as a basketball player but don't know too much about his football past. I know that he uses his body well, is thick and can jump a lot higher than it looks like he would be able to. Manhertz is certainly worth kicking the tires on.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of college ball players with this body type and good athleticism, parade as many of them as you can through TBD, the precedent has been established that they can make that transition well: Gates, Graham, etc.

He is a beast as an athlete. He certainly has the build of a football player. I have seen a lot of him as a basketball player but don't know too much about his football past. I know that he uses his body well, is thick and can jump a lot higher than it looks like he would be able to. Manhertz is certainly worth kicking the tires on.

Does he look 235? At 6'6 that is kind of thin frame. Thinking he might need to add 20. 235 was the most recent weight I saw of him during the Bball season, if he's been training for the draft he could have packed some on.

Or we could draft an actual TE...

Considering they have had Ebron, Niklas and ASJ at OBD I think they probably will. Doesn't mean they can't look at a guy like this too as a UDFA to bring into camp, put on PS, who knows? Edited by YoloinOhio

Does he look 235? At 6'6 that is kind of thin frame. Thinking he might need to add 20. 235 was the most recent weight I saw of him during the Bball season, if he's been training for the draft he could have packed some on.

He looks like a man. His waist is probably like 30 inches and he has no body fat. He could certainly add weight. Manhertz is the exact kind of guy that you should work out. You can find the Lee Smith's of the world anywhere. It's much easier to turn someone into a football player than it is to turn them into an athlete. If he looks good in his workout bring him to camp.

He looks like a man. His waist is probably like 30 inches and he has no body fat. He could certainly add weight. Manhertz is the exact kind of guy that you should work out. You can find the Lee Smith's of the world anywhere. It's much easier to turn someone into a football player than it is to turn them into an athlete. If he looks good in his workout bring him to camp.

I really like this thinking by the Bills. He may not be a starter right away but TE is a unique position in this league. If they see potential in him, how can it hurt to being him to camp? Could be a diamond in the rough.

Or we could draft an actual TE...

True. But let's face it, with QB being the sole exception, learning to play any position on a football team is not very difficult if you have the physical attributes and are a good athlete. And if the Bills can steal a TE, even a backup, without having to use a draft pick then why shouldn't they?

Anyone follow college basketball? Every time I watched florida this year I couldn't help but think Patric Young would make a great TE

I always thought Former SU forward, Paul Harris would have made a good TE. In fact, I believe he actually tried out at one of those regional scouting combines back when.

Guys like Gonzales, Gates, and Graham are an anomaly IMO. It can never hurt to kick the tires on these guys though.

I really like this thinking by the Bills. He may not be a starter right away but TE is a unique position in this league. If they see potential in him, how can it hurt to being him to camp? Could be a diamond in the rough.

I am with you. If he shows the raw ability you can probably stash him on the PS for a year or so. He plays really wide which would make him an ideal red zone target. There is no risk at all.

Do we know anything about his football past?

( I am going to start digging now and will likely update this).

Looks he has never played football. But seems like there has to be something there for him to get a workout with the Bills, its not like NFL teams work out college Bball players every day. Should be an interesting story to follow if they do decide to bring him into camp.

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills-nfl/Manhertz-to-Workout-for-Bills-255108941.html

Who?

Look if you don't follow Canisius basketball, you wouldn't have heard of him. If you do, you obviously know who he is. He was pretty much a three year starter. He is a physical, not glamorous down low player who does a lot of the dirty work. He did not appear to me to be particularly athletic (relatively speaking of course) but he certainly has the body. Not a bad free throw shooter for a big man either.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Look if you don't follow Canisius basketball, you wouldn't have heard of him. If you do, you obviously know who he is. He was pretty much a three year starter. He is a physical, not glamorous down low player who does a lot of the dirty work. He did not appear to me to be particularly athletic (relatively speaking of course) but he certainly has the body.

Well if that's true he has little chance. He can't just post up at the TE position in the NFL ;) But it doesn't cost them much to look !

I see no reason to not kick the tires on this one. It's obviously a long shot but its worth a look-see. I'd hope though that if the Bills go this route our scouts make sure they would open that window to more than just a few Buffalo-area prospects. It's always nice to see local kids make it to the next level, but my gut tells me there may be a few other college bball guys that are better than MAC and MAAC players.

From the perspective of these kids, I don't see the upside here for them. If they're decent enough bball prospects (maybe they're not), it sounds like they'd have a better shot playing Euro ball for a few years than collecting rookie/vet minimum to be training camp fodder and get your head kicked in on a sport they may or may not have played in high school. Plenty of small school kids can make a decent living and get some cultural experience in Europe. I went to a school in the Patriot League (worse league strength of schedule than the MAC and MAAC) and a few of those kids made it to Europe the last few years. I believe the pay isn't too bad - $100K a year and up if you can latch on to a roster, and in some countries little to no tax liability. But hey, nothing's better than being a athlete's athlete than playing football, right?

I see no reason to not kick the tires on this one. It's obviously a long shot but its worth a look-see. I'd hope though that if the Bills go this route our scouts make sure they would open that window to more than just a few Buffalo-area prospects. It's always nice to see local kids make it to the next level, but my gut tells me there may be a few other college bball guys that are better than MAC and MAAC players.

From the perspective of these kids, I don't see the upside here for them. If they're decent enough bball prospects (maybe they're not), it sounds like they'd have a better shot playing Euro ball for a few years than collecting rookie/vet minimum to be training camp fodder and get your head kicked in on a sport they may or may not have played in high school. Plenty of small school kids can make a decent living and get some cultural experience in Europe. I went to a school in the Patriot League (worse league strength of schedule than the MAC and MAAC) and a few of those kids made it to Europe the last few years. I believe the pay isn't too bad - $100K a year and up if you can latch on to a roster, and in some countries little to no tax liability. But hey, nothing's better than being a athlete's athlete than playing football, right?

Europe sounds like a good option but it is really hard. There are some OSU guys who have gone there and say it is really rough - they don't treat you well at all, every game is like the end of the world, and unless you are an awesome shooter they may not want you. If you can latch on somewhere and don't mind living there they can make decent money but its not for everyone. It is a stark difference than what they are used to even with their college programs. No one there cares about your well being, how you eat, how you live... its just different. The D league doesn't pay much at all and obviously it is very hard to make an NBA roster. So for a guy like him, maybe worth a shot and like you said, in the NFL you never know. Edited by YoloinOhio

Europe sounds like a good option but it is really hard. There are some OSU guys who have gone there and say it is really rough - they don't treat you well at all, every game is like the end of the world, and unless you are an awesome shooter they may not want you. If you can latch on somewhere and don't mind living there they can make decent money but its not for everyone. It is a stark difference than what they are used to even with their college programs. No one there cares about your well being, how you eat, how you live... its just different. The D league doesn't pay much at all and obviously it is very hard to make an NBA roster. So for a guy like him, maybe worth a shot and like you said, in the NFL you never know.

Yeah, other than the culture shock for a lot of these kids, I think the "grind" can be pretty difficult as well - long bus rides rather than train/plane, no friends and family, chance of paychecks bouncing, language barrier, combined with the fact that the European game is wholly different than the things these kids have done in AAU/HS/College. I just know that if I was in that position and had the talent, I'd want to at least exhaust all my options playing a sport that's a heck of a lot easier on your body and long term health.